latics agree deal...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im actually really glad that i support a lower league team due to the fact that when you watch the millions league on television you rarley hear any atmosphere, i have been to a number of premier league clubs and noticed its more of an tourist attraction than the same fans going week in week out.

OT for exapmle traffords biggest libary. its appualing its like the fans have no passion what so ever.

Like Eastley alludes to, this is the end of football as a competition within the Football League. We've already seen the PL become a 4 horse race with the gulf between the 'haves' and 'have nots' (all in relativitiy of course) becoming ridiculously big. The same thing will now happen in the Championship with the 4 sides relegated getting huge amounts of money to get promotion back to the Prem, creating a second 4 horse race whilst the rest scramble around for respectable positions knowing damn well they have little to no chance of ever competing meaningfully.

As for the increased revenue and how it will affect the standard of football, the straight answer is that it won't. Will it help clubs like ourselves to reduce some of the losses we make each season? If we want to compete, no. In the long term we'll end up with the same standard players earning bigger money, cos footballers and agents will all want their piece of the pie just like when we got the ITV digital money. Our earnings from this have gone up from 108k to 325k, what the :censored: is 200k going to do for a club like ours when the sides in the division up are getting 2M? We should have told them to go :censored: themselves and lost out on the already laughable 100k we get and cut our cloth because the extra 200k won't be going towards covering losses anyway, not a chance.

So we agree to this deal, player wages go up, we gain nothing in terms of better players or financial stability and the gulf between ourselves and the division above widens considerably. Meanwhile the gap between the Championship and PL widens to a point that only a handful of championship teams can ever realistically hope to get there. The Prem is now a 20 team division with an extra 4 tagged on and everyone else is :censored:. The FL have once again shown how spineless they are and sold us down the river for some crumbs off Scudamores plate, disgusting.

So, the FL chairman aren't going to stand up for us, the FA aren't going to stand up for us, what as fans can we do? The time is now if we want to save not just our club, but football in the lower leagues in this country.

It was the club who should have made a stance on this OAFC!!! not any other club in our division, they had the option of ticking the 'NO' option on the card but chose not too. Quote "Alan Hardy- the vote was done under duress"......was there someone at the side of him with a gun to his head or was it one of the owners saying "you must vote into this Alan" either way it was the spineless route to take. :disappointed:

It was the club who should have made a stance on this OAFC!!! not any other club in our division, they had the option of ticking the 'NO' option on the card but chose not too. Quote "Alan Hardy- the vote was done under duress"......was there someone at the side of him with a gun to his head or was it one of the owners saying "you must vote into this Alan" either way it was the spineless route to take. :disappointed:

+1

Like Eastley alludes to, this is the end of football as a competition within the Football League. We've already seen the PL become a 4 horse race with the gulf between the 'haves' and 'have nots' (all in relativitiy of course) becoming ridiculously big. The same thing will now happen in the Championship with the 4 sides relegated getting huge amounts of money to get promotion back to the Prem, creating a second 4 horse race whilst the rest scramble around for respectable positions knowing damn well they have little to no chance of ever competing meaningfully.

As for the increased revenue and how it will affect the standard of football, the straight answer is that it won't. Will it help clubs like ourselves to reduce some of the losses we make each season? If we want to compete, no. In the long term we'll end up with the same standard players earning bigger money, cos footballers and agents will all want their piece of the pie just like when we got the ITV digital money. Our earnings from this have gone up from 108k to 325k, what the :censored: is 200k going to do for a club like ours when the sides in the division up are getting 2M? We should have told them to go :censored: themselves and lost out on the already laughable 100k we get and cut our cloth because the extra 200k won't be going towards covering losses anyway, not a chance.

So we agree to this deal, player wages go up, we gain nothing in terms of better players or financial stability and the gulf between ourselves and the division above widens considerably. Meanwhile the gap between the Championship and PL widens to a point that only a handful of championship teams can ever realistically hope to get there. The Prem is now a 20 team division with an extra 4 tagged on and everyone else is :censored:. The FL have once again shown how spineless they are and sold us down the river for some crumbs off Scudamores plate, disgusting.

So, the FL chairman aren't going to stand up for us, the FA aren't going to stand up for us, what as fans can we do? The time is now if we want to save not just our club, but football in the lower leagues in this country.

Got to agree that this will be the final death of realistic competition up and down the leagues, and that promotions will become a faded dream for the vast majority.

But I have to disagree (hope, pray??) that you are wrong about player's wages, and agents getting their bigger cuts. One of the few good things we and other clubs have done, has been to attempt to cut out agents and the fees they command. And I can see a big revolution in terms of lower league players and the fees they can command, if they want to stay in the games. Unfortunately, of course this just means that clubs with a bit more money will go outside of that to try and buy their glory, but that has already pretty much always happened anyway.

And thus the divide becomes unbridgable too.

A sad day, and whilst I can see the arguments, and that we were in a bind, and it would have made zero difference, I have to regretfully say I think we should have still voted no.

Exactly they've failed us. The PL stood their ground and we should have done the same, stuck two fingers up to them and told them to :censored: off. Instead, we gave in and accepted terms that have now cemented a long slow death for clubs like our own. Like I say, if the people in charge aren't going to stand up and be counted then we have to do it. It's no use saying it's not our job to do that because when we have no professional club to support, whose job it was won't matter in the slightest.

Exactly they've failed us. The PL stood their ground and we should have done the same, stuck two fingers up to them and told them to :censored: off. Instead, we gave in and accepted terms that have now cemented a long slow death for clubs like our own. Like I say, if the people in charge aren't going to stand up and be counted then we have to do it. It's no use saying it's not our job to do that because when we have no professional club to support, whose job it was won't matter in the slightest.

Yet by voting no that long drawn out death come have come about very quickly.

Do the maths... Its a slow death for the football league... Prem 2 in the future, first not by name but going forward it will...

It seems inevitable we are heading for a two tier premier league, with the rest of the clubs becoming as good as non league

I never quite understand how a 'Prem 2' could come to fruition.

The Premier League is an entirely seperate entity to The Football League which is where all the problems stem from.

The notion that the Premier League would invite a large portion of The Championship into bed with them seems somewhat unlikely.

Sure, The Football League could try and create a cheapo version of the Prem, indeed they already have done. They called it The Championship and yet your typical Greedy League Dummy treats it with as much disdain as they do League 1.

I agree with that - hopefully with the proviso that all games are midweek or Sundays

Then we might get fans back in lower league stadiums on a Saturday(so long as the product on the pitch is exciting!)

I think to attract TV audiences a European league would be played on Sundays, leaving the football league clubs to play and enjoy Saturday afternoon football with the prospect of larger attendances.

I think to attract TV audiences a European league would be played on Sundays, leaving the football league clubs to play and enjoy Saturday afternoon football with the prospect of larger attendances.

That would be good - maybe the FL will be saved by the Scudetta and La Liga

You have to think about the dynamics of this becasue unless their is a promotion and relegation in and out of it then something like this will fall flat on its face.

I agree but it will be the G14/G16 clubs in their own league - eventually everyone may get bored of it and go back to the football being played in their own countries. These clubs eventually may have made a rod for their own back or end up in a global league - a la 39th game in the Premiership.

For clubs like ourselves may be one day we can get back to playing in a realistically financed tiered structure. What will be missing is the chance to pit yourselves against the elite 6 or 7 clubs in our professional system.

This may be a pipe dream and realistically isn't going to happen in the next 4 but beyond that who knows particularly if the European Courts stop Sky bidding for all Prem games and as a consequence the clubs begin to provide their own coverage and get paid accordingly

The real danger here for me is not only that the league becomes uncompetitive but that sides go bust trying to compensate for the gulf in spending, get relegated and it all goes tits up. We've already had countless problems with clubs overspending on Premier League survival and the temptation will be there now to overspend on Championship survival. I'd expect to see more sides going straight through League One after relegation.

Bint of a chink of daylight in the darkness there- as if loads of teams go striaght through our division then we might have more of a chance of going up.

Am I right in thinking that every PL and Championship team voted for this? As the odds are that a Premier League team (from last season) might not be in the Championship when PL 2 gets formed, my own personal hope is that Notlob are that team (would serve Gartside right) but I don't think that's going to happen. Hull are batting above their historical station, as are Wigan and quite a few teams in the PL. With Pompey's money troubles I can see them in League 1 in 15 months, and Hull are probably not that far away either. Burnley will be OK though.

With a bit of luck we could be on the right side of the dividing line when PL2 gets formed, but unless we get some new owners (or our current ones change their fairly reasonable spending ideaology) we won't be.

Bint of a chink of daylight in the darkness there- as if loads of teams go striaght through our division then we might have more of a chance of going up.

Am I right in thinking that every PL and Championship team voted for this? As the odds are that a Premier League team (from last season) might not be in the Championship when PL 2 gets formed, my own personal hope is that Notlob are that team (would serve Gartside right) but I don't think that's going to happen. Hull are batting above their historical station, as are Wigan and quite a few teams in the PL. With Pompey's money troubles I can see them in League 1 in 15 months, and Hull are probably not that far away either. Burnley will be OK though.

With a bit of luck we could be on the right side of the dividing line when PL2 gets formed, but unless we get some new owners (or our current ones change their fairly reasonable spending ideaology) we won't be.

You never know, in a few years time the structure might look something like this.

European Elite League, 40, 000 minimum capacity stadiums only.

English Premier League 25.000 capacity minimum

English Premier League 2 15,000 capacity minimum

English Football League North & South 10,000 capacity minimun

Non League Feeder Leagues.

Oldham are now division 3 or 4 at best forever. Absolutely gutted about this deal. I hope the greedy clubs get what they want, 2 leagues of Football within 15 years.

Lags as you can hopefully tell by my tone I am with you on this and am taking the "hope the greedy clubs...." as I hope they get what they deserve, do you think there is any conscience in football anymore.

BTW I wouldn't hold out much hope for the investment we need, I think we have to accept we are where we are and unless the "gods smile" will be here for a while. On the bright side its our club and we are still in league 1 and looking forward to seeing who the new manager is. Now we just need Arsenal/tottenham or Villa to get into a bidding war for Micah Richards and who knows ;-)

It was good to meet you last night btw

Two prem leagues?

They'll soon get bored of it, in their fantasty world football.

Disgraceful that championship teams get about £1.9m more than us in a season from the premier league.

Every club that has voted yes has successfully demolished the beautiful game in its founding country.

Well done you

Two prem leagues?

They'll soon get bored of it, in their fantasty world football.

Disgraceful that championship teams get about £1.9m more than us in a season from the premier league.

Every club that has voted yes has successfully demolished the beautiful game in its founding country.

Well done you f

:applause1:

agree with you rob mate.

Lags as you can hopefully tell by my tone I am with you on this and am taking the "hope the greedy clubs...." as I hope they get what they deserve, do you think there is any conscience in football anymore.

BTW I wouldn't hold out much hope for the investment we need, I think we have to accept we are where we are and unless the "gods smile" will be here for a while. On the bright side its our club and we are still in league 1 and looking forward to seeing who the new manager is. Now we just need Arsenal/tottenham or Villa to get into a bidding war for Micah Richards and who knows ;-)

It was good to meet you last night btw

Likewise. Last chance saloon that Micah goes and all the cash is spent well on players and we exit this league and quick.

Likewise. Last chance saloon that Micah goes and all the cash is spent well on players and we exit this league and quick.

Its our best chance of a sustainable future in what being an early 70s watcher(75ish)has been Latics home(Div 2 old money)

2010/11 is the season that we MUST go up,otherwise we will remain a lower league team unless we get wealthy owners and a lucky season.

There is no chance that we'll go up next year. We might go down - but not a hope in hell of going up.

We are a lower league team now. No bigger than Bury, Rochdale, Stockport or the likes. Like them we may have a season or two up every twenty or so years, but I doubt even that. And we'll be like that forever until we go bust. Which probably isn't that far away after all.

I wouldn't be surprised if alot of our fanbase never see this club promoted before it goes out of business.

Happy days.