latics agree deal...

By losing out on 100k each season?

328k per season as I read it? Around equal to our current losses. I think it would have been a bit pointless casting a vote against this and then sitting back praying not many other people did the same, as the Premiership would most surely have ** us off and god knows where we would have ended up. I suspect that a lot of clubs would have been looking at admin immediately. The fact that the payments are increased shows that the lower league clubs haven't rolled over.

That much said, I think this scheme is a load of crap from the point of view as a fan, it's all been pushed towards preventing promotion and relegation for years, effectively bringing in the Franchise system. Ace. We need to remember that the 3rd division is one of the better earning leagues in Europe I think and enjoy our football here for what it is. The big money boys won't be down here as often, the players will be as good as they will still prefer to earn £700 a week to play football rather than take the career option to become brain surgeons and the world will keep on turning. Maybe getting into the Championship for a few seasons is now the dream as opposed to the Premiership.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its Glucosaminathingmybod these days LL! Hows the liver and Burkha

The liver is certainly no better here. It's free in the hotel (after a fight with work...) from 6 - 9 (ish...) every night and £5-7 a pint outside, which naturally inclines you to try to be there and drink more than you would otherwise whilst it's free. Aiming to have one last go at having muscles, I have had some a few times and having a free gym is an obvious chance. Only a few burkhas, Emirati nationals of either sex don't come out much to the places I go to, because they don't have any cause to. Their birds wear black, but it ranges from a few fully masked types up to designer bling look, which is really pretty horny on the right lass. Most of the population is foreign and wears whatever, maybe if you went out like Jordan you might get into bother but it's really no stress! The fact is that Abu Dhabi and Dhubi are awash with Westerners getting :censored:faced and getting up to all sorts and one or two a year fall foul of the law, diddums really, it's not that complicated.

Hope the Fans Team have a game first match of the season, will defo aim to swing it to be there for that one and a few light ales.

The liver is certainly no better here. It's free in the hotel (after a fight with work...) from 6 - 9 (ish...) every night and £5-7 a pint outside, which naturally inclines you to try to be there and drink more than you would otherwise whilst it's free. Aiming to have one last go at having muscles, I have had some a few times and having a free gym is an obvious chance. Only a few burkhas, Emirati nationals of either sex don't come out much to the places I go to, because they don't have any cause to. Their birds wear black, but it ranges from a few fully masked types up to designer bling look, which is really pretty horny on the right lass. Most of the population is foreign and wears whatever, maybe if you went out like Jordan you might get into bother but it's really no stress! The fact is that Abu Dhabi and Dhubi are awash with Westerners getting :censored:faced and getting up to all sorts and one or two a year fall foul of the law, diddums really, it's not that complicated.

Hope the Fans Team have a game first match of the season, will defo aim to swing it to be there for that one and a few light ales.

Sounds a plan, though may have to come and visit you in warmer climes, can you arrange a friendly out there for us?

Sounds a plan, though may have to come and visit you in warmer climes, can you arrange a friendly out there for us?

I very probably could! They seem to take the local leagues pretty seriously (various Sky-type channels full of pundits etc) and there are lower leagues forming around them. I just need to make some contacts and persuade someone that you wasters are some sort of representative team. If you bring Josh could someone keep him in detox for a week though?

There is no chance that we'll go up next year. We might go down - but not a hope in hell of going up.

We are a lower league team now. No bigger than Bury, Rochdale, Stockport or the likes. Like them we may have a season or two up every twenty or so years, but I doubt even that. And we'll be like that forever until we go bust. Which probably isn't that far away after all.

I wouldn't be surprised if alot of our fanbase never see this club promoted before it goes out of business.

Happy days.

Splash out biggish wages for two/three quality players on a free transfer then i reckon we have a chance of going up.

A new striker who will bag 20 goals.

A new cm to partner stephens

A new cb to challenge rubes and hazel

We have a good nucleus of a squad already, needs tweaking and attacking tactics and i see no reason why we cant be up there next season.

Yes, it might add about £300k-£400k onto the wage bill, however if we went up, or play-offs, would easily pay that off the bill.

Depends if TTA are prepared to risk it next season

I'm sorry but people are massively overeacting on here. Its the type of thing people were saying when the premier league was formed people were saying how that was going to spell the end of the football league and yet since then football league attendances have improved consistantly year on year.

If the premier league deal was distributed evenly then Manchester United would still be the side who make the biggest turnover and Chelseas would still be at the top due to Roman Abramovich's investment, Manchester City would have the biggest transfer budget due to Sheik Mansour. If the parachute payments money was split evenly between the Championship clubs this season then Newcastle would still have been the biggest club with the most money and support and theirfore be able to attract the best players.

Does this mean that we are doomed to league 1 and 2 forever. Not exactly no this doesn't the fact that we make bad descions in the transfer market and make the wrong managerial appointments and even when we get it right we are still to trigger happy to hire and fire them.

The idea of a premiership 2 with no relegation will not happenand if it does I would give it 5 years maximum before relegation was reintroduced because the competition would just go down hill massively.

The only thing we should be interested in is what happens to the parachute payments of clubs who come down and get promoted back within a year go where does that 3 years of parachute payments go if it is redistributed as I understand it is then their is a pretty good chance that we will be getting more than the £325,000 anyway. We were in no position to just tell the premier league to stick it £325,000 will pay for nearly 5 first team players wages for the year bearing in mind the average league 1 player earns 60-70K per year this years squad minus 5 first teamers anyone?

The problems facing the club haven't changed we still need to get in a good manager who will find value in the transfer market this hasn't spelt the death of OAFC in the grand scheme of things this has changed very little

Just in case anyone thinks I'm insane I did my disertation on the effects of the premier league deal on the competitive balance of the league and the economic academic research proved the deal doesn't have a massive effect on the competitive balance of the league.

I'm sorry but people are massively overeacting on here. Its the type of thing people were saying when the premier league was formed people were saying how that was going to spell the end of the football league and yet since then football league attendances have improved consistantly year on year.

And the debt ? Financial position of clubs ? Up or down ?

I'm sorry but people are massively overeacting on here. Its the type of thing people were saying when the premier league was

<SNIP></SNIP>

Just in case anyone thinks I'm insane I did my disertation on the effects of the premier league deal on the competitive balance of the league and the economic academic research proved the deal doesn't have a massive effect on the competitive balance of the league.

Some good points, and yes this has been heard before, but to call the reaction on here a moassive overreaction is a little unfair.

Firstly, yes, attendances are up, but did you look at clubs' profit per attendee. without looking, I would guess that higher wages, and higher debts through player wages, agents fees and ':censored: or bust' attempts,and new stadia causing not inconsiderable cost, have caused this ratio to lower, not to rise, thus putting clubs in a markedly less stable economic position.

Yes, the top clubs should get the most money, that is definitely fair. But as you allude to, what we should worry is the now even more blatant protectionism of the parachute payments system. giving four years of such payments, will likely in itself create a second Premier League, even in all but name.

As for do we have a hope of ever reaching the top Division again? I fear that Blackpool could be the last of those, and it will be interesting to see, should they get up and then be relegated, if the parachute payments keep them in an artificially elevated position.

If the premier league deal was distributed evenly then Manchester United would still be the side who make the biggest turnover and Chelseas would still be at the top due to Roman Abramovich's investment, Manchester City would have the biggest transfer budget due to Sheik Mansour. If the parachute payments money was split evenly between the Championship clubs this season then Newcastle would still have been the biggest club with the most money and support and theirfore be able to attract the best players.

Does this mean that we are doomed to league 1 and 2 forever. Not exactly no this doesn't the fact that we make bad descions in the transfer market and make the wrong managerial appointments and even when we get it right we are still to trigger happy to hire and fire them.

The idea of a premiership 2 with no relegation will not happenand if it does I would give it 5 years maximum before relegation was reintroduced because the competition would just go down hill massively.

The only thing we should be interested in is what happens to the parachute payments of clubs who come down and get promoted back within a year go where does that 3 years of parachute payments go if it is redistributed as I understand it is then their is a pretty good chance that we will be getting more than the £325,000 anyway. We were in no position to just tell the premier league to stick it £325,000 will pay for nearly 5 first team players wages for the year bearing in mind the average league 1 player earns 60-70K per year this years squad minus 5 first teamers anyone?

The problems facing the club haven't changed we still need to get in a good manager who will find value in the transfer market this hasn't spelt the death of OAFC in the grand scheme of things this has changed very little

Some good points, but I fear you are burying your head in the sand regarding the closed shop of promotion and relegation.

Some of the clubs want it, just as the bigger clubs want guaranteed places in the Champios League.

Remember though, it is not jsut what the FA want, it is also what Murdoch wants.

and he has got the closed shop in Australian RFL, and now Super Leauge.

You can tell the contempt the PL had in its "negotiations". Like it or lwe take our ball away.

It will be remebered though, when Murdoch pulls the plug one day or if it implodes.

This deal is a closed shop in all but name.

Some good points, and yes this has been heard before, but to call the reaction on here a moassive overreaction is a little unfair.

Firstly, yes, attendances are up, but did you look at clubs' profit per attendee. without looking, I would guess that higher wages, and higher debts through player wages, agents fees and ':censored: or bust' attempts,and new stadia causing not inconsiderable cost, have caused this ratio to lower, not to rise, thus putting clubs in a markedly less stable economic position.

Yes, the top clubs should get the most money, that is definitely fair. But as you allude to, what we should worry is the now even more blatant protectionism of the parachute payments system. giving four years of such payments, will likely in itself create a second Premier League, even in all but name.

As for do we have a hope of ever reaching the top Division again? I fear that Blackpool could be the last of those, and it will be interesting to see, should they get up and then be relegated, if the parachute payments keep them in an artificially elevated position.

The revenue from the increase in attendances and an increase in TV revenue has gone straight to the players and agents yes. However if clubs have less money then they it will be the players who will get paid less.

Will Blackpool be the last small club to get up well put it like this Middlesborough had the parachute payments this season Blackpool didn't they also had about 3-4 times the support thats a massive gap in resources this season Derby and Reading would also have had their second season's worth of parachute payments giving them a big help in funding certainly dwarfing what Blackpool had and more than what Leicester, Cardiff, and Forrest (3 clubs in league 1 in the last 3 years) had aswell yet it was these teams without the parachute payments that got through to the play offs.

The reasons for this change in policy I believe is because they have looked at what has happened in league 1 this season with Leeds, Norwich, Charlton and Southampton in there and this was becasue they have seen them plummet due to their parachute paymenst finnish their budgets have had to be slashed and in the cases of Southampton and Leeds go into administration.

Now for what its worth I would like to see my club get the best deal possible however I don't think this deal is as catastrophic as some people in this thread are making out.

Some good points, but I fear you are burying your head in the sand regarding the closed shop of promotion and relegation.

Some of the clubs want it, just as the bigger clubs want guaranteed places in the Champios League.

Remember though, it is not jsut what the FA want, it is also what Murdoch wants.

and he has got the closed shop in Australian RFL, and now Super Leauge.

You can tell the contempt the PL had in its "negotiations". Like it or lwe take our ball away.

It will be remebered though, when Murdoch pulls the plug one day or if it implodes.

This deal is a closed shop in all but name.

With regard to the promotion and relegation issue I would ask you as a neutral what you would want to see? would having no relegation encourage or discourage you from watching it? Quite important bearing in mind the TV companies want to see games which are going to get the neutrals interested. They love nothing better than a game with alot riding on it Sheffield Wednesday vs Crystal Palace full house everything riding on it tv companies love games like that because it will get the neutrals tuning in.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Are those who claim it's a good deal for Latics seriously saying should Blackpool go up, enjoy their one season in the sun and come back down with their 90 million income over 4 seasons won't cut us adrift of them? if so behave.

Edited by Lags

Are those who claim it's a good deal for Latics seriously saying should Blackpool go up, enjoy their one season in the sun and come back down with their 90 million income over 4 seasons won't cut us adrift of them? if so behave.

Is it the same deal as before, where parachute payments due to teams who promote back to the Prem are split between the teams in the FL?

Is it the same deal as before, where parachute payments due to teams who promote back to the Prem are split between the teams in the FL?

Not sure about that. It would be interesting to find out.

Not sure about that. It would be interesting to find out.

Very - would mean that we could be better off in the short term, if the usual suspects yo-yo between the Prem and the Championship. Of course, when we get to the Championship (ahem) the extra money wouldn't help when compared to the money the relegated teams are getting, but it sweetens the deal a little.

If they get up within those 4 seasons they might do yes. However look at league 1 this season Charlton, Leeds, Norwich, southampton all dropped like a lead balloon once their parachute payments dried up and they had considerably bigger support to fall back on aswell. Plus Blackpool will be competing with other teams with parachute payments. Which maybe more than just the other 2 sides that came down with them if they came down and didn't go back up within 4 years then they could be in big trouble.

If all 3 sides next season come down get 4 years of parachute payments and go straight back up again in year 1 then if the those 3 years of outstanding parachute payments are given back to the football league , the parachute paymenst are half of what a side gets in the premier league so you could be looking at (educated guess here) £15million per team multiplied by the 3 season they get it =£45million times that figure by the 3 clubs then you are looking at £135million shared out between the football league. Even if league 1 gets as little as 25% then thats still over £1million per team (2 years Losses for us) It will be interesting to see where that goes.