New Manager Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GK as a manager ? Interesting...

Nigel Pearson seems to be doing ok at Leicester.

And another Nigel (Adkins) is doing fine at Scunny.

Kevin Blackwell and Chris Turner were both keepers, as was Brian Gunn.

Others include Dino Zoff, Peter Taylor (the older one, long time assistant to Clough), and - less successfully it has to be said - Peter Shilton.

Oh, and Jose Mourinho's dad was a keeper. :grin:

Others include Dino Zoff, Peter Taylor (the older one, long time assistant to Clough), and - less successfully it has to be said - Peter Shilton.

Is that Nigel Pearson, the ex Boro and Wednesday centre back?

This is the way I see it

Gray

++ Knows the capabilities of the current players better than Bunn or Crossley

+ Already on the wage bill

+ Only has 12 months left on his contract so if it didn't work out, would not be overly expensive to get rid.

- One only has to look on the Chron website and on here that this would be a grossly unpopular appointment with the fans. Can we really risk yet more damage to our ever dwindling fanbase.

- Not 100 percent convinced Gray offers something different to Penney

Crossley

+ Knows how the club works from his previous spell

+ Would save us a wage with the GK coach

+ Managed by the best (and the worst)

+ Very media friendly

- Only three years coaching experience compared to the 9 that Gray has and 12 that bunn has

- Been part of the same management team for three seasons at two different clubs, arguably underachieved with all of them

Bunn

++ Coaching experience superior to the other two candidates

+ Well thought of by the fans

+ Good experience with coaching young players

- Not very media friendly

- Would be playing catchup as he will need to assess the capabilities of the current squad

- After 12 years as a coach, why only now, is he going into management?

Difficult decision. I have bought my season ticket and will back any of the three above. I think the safe option out of them would be Gray, based on what I know Gray would be my personal choice from them IF he could show in his interview that he was his own man with his own ideas, but even if Gray gives the interview of his life he is up against it with our fans, and god help the bloke if he gets it and we get off to a bad start.

The less said about kevin blackwell the better. Still remember watching them 11 animals that he called a football team play against us.

Peter Taylor was very much one half of a management team with Clough rather than a number two. And as clough shown with leeds and the latter half of his years at Forest, he wasn't all that good without Taylor, in the same way Taylor never made a manager himself.

Say Bunn gets it, will Gray stay on as assistant?

Would imagine that would be Bunn's choice, but would not surprise me if crossley or bunn would be asked if they were willing to work with Gray as their number 2 should they get the job.

Would imagine that would be Bunn's choice, but would not surprise me if crossley or bunn would be asked if they were willing to work with Gray as their number 2 should they get the job.

I will say those three are amongst a much larger group, as most of you seem to have forgotten the Chronicles history of stories. Basically they have written a story based on the Victor Chandler odds page, as they have done for the last few articles.

This is the way I see it

Gray

++ Knows the capabilities of the current players better than Bunn or Crossley

+ Already on the wage bill

+ Only has 12 months left on his contract so if it didn't work out, would not be overly expensive to get rid.

- One only has to look on the Chron website and on here that this would be a grossly unpopular appointment with the fans. Can we really risk yet more damage to our ever dwindling fanbase.

- Not 100 percent convinced Gray offers something different to Penney

Crossley

+ Knows how the club works from his previous spell

+ Would save us a wage with the GK coach

+ Managed by the best (and the worst)

+ Very media friendly

- Only three years coaching experience compared to the 9 that Gray has and 12 that bunn has

- Been part of the same management team for three seasons at two different clubs, arguably underachieved with all of them

Bunn

++ Coaching experience superior to the other two candidates

+ Well thought of by the fans

+ Good experience with coaching young players

- Not very media friendly

- Would be playing catchup as he will need to assess the capabilities of the current squad

- After 12 years as a coach, why only now, is he going into management?

Difficult decision. I have bought my season ticket and will back any of the three above. I think the safe option out of them would be Gray, based on what I know Gray would be my personal choice from them IF he could show in his interview that he was his own man with his own ideas, but even if Gray gives the interview of his life he is up against it with our fans, and god help the bloke if he gets it and we get off to a bad start.

Major disapointment if we get Crossley :disappointed: or Keep Gray (although I wouldn't mind if he stayed as number two wore pants and stopped putting articles in the advertiser, which always started "Not the best of weeks....." :blink: , out of the three Bunn but he was third on my wish list behind Butt and Gannon :disappointed: :

Rubbish if that article is true absolute rubbish Latics :angry:

Edited by ShakerT

• Mark Crossley
  • Martin Gray
  • Frank Bunn

I would go with Frank Bunn out of all of them. Based on nothing more than he has more coaching experience.

GK as a manager ? Interesting...

Pretty uninspiring bunch really...

Bunn

He’s been on my preferred list for a while – I think his experience at Man City should tip it in his favour; the list of players he had a direct hand in bringing through alone is massively impressive.

His status at the club I would argue will afford him for patience from the fans; rather than less as some have said – based on the fact that he is a club legend & will surely be given more grace; more time as a result of this?

I’m bracing myself for the urber-disappointment of the Martin Gray appointment though…………..

Edited by slystallone

I really think it's time the owners made a decision based purely on how they see the merits of the candidates and ignored the clamour from the fans. If there is one constant truth in all this it is that the fans - especially the noisy ones - know nothing, and therefore should not be considered in any new management decision.

If the board agree that Gray is the best option, then they must appoint Gray irrespective of what short term impact that has on fans and gates. If they've made (another) mistake, then the fans will claim they were right and we start the cycle all over again next summer (or earlier). If Gray turns out to be a success, the fans will return - possibly bringing more income into the club in match receipts later in the season to compensate for the drop in STs.

Edited by garcon

I think we will all be shocked and an outsider (of those 3)will get it

Go to say I agree.

In the case of a football manager, it's not just the interview-bull can baffle brains, but it is their track record too. But as you say the efffect on the ticket sales.

Though the most obvious is the winnig team.

Who can get us wnning?

Fair points...

Just heard that Gannon, Crossley and not sure what to make of this, Paul Dickov were interviewed by Latics yesterday.

My source is telling me someone else was interviewed (cant recall the name) as well as those 3 and 6 more are on for today. This is coming from an employee at the venue of the interviews.

Edited by ritchie82

Just heard that Gannon, Crossley and not sure what to make of this, Paul Dickov were interviewed by Latics yesterday.

My source is telling me someone else was interviewed (cant recall the name) as well as those 3 and 6 more are on for today. This is coming from an employee at the venue of the interviews.

Gray? Bunn? Butt? McClair? Laslov (just trying to jog the old memory)