So, next seasons team?

There could be any player Dickov doesn't fancy. It will all come out in training as he sure as hell won't have been scouting us. But that depends on money. I'd say he'll have the scope to get two players and they'll be a keeper and a central defender.So...

GK New Keeper

RB Lee

LB Black

CB Gregan

CB Hazell/New Player

RW Smalley

CM Stephens

CM Furman

LW Taylor

ST Abbott

ST Eaves

I struggle to look at any attacking player on last year when their main responsibilities were to defend. So, hopefully, this is the year for Smalley to stamp his place in the team.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

GK New player, if not, Flav (Fleming as cover)

RB Lee (Holdsworth & Lomax as cover)

LB New Player (Black as cover, free transfer for JJ)

CB Gregan (Aljofree as cover)

CB Hazell

RW Taylor (Purdie as cover, loan out Millar)

CM Stephens (Lee to move into CM and cover if required)

CM New Player (Furman/Worthington as cover)

LW New Player (Colbeck as cover)

ST Abbott (Eaves as cover)

ST New player (Dickov/Allessandra as cover, loan out Brooke)

Free transfers:

Brill - no explanation needed

Jacobson - I've seen milk turn quicker than this lad...As the season went on, got beaten time and time again. As for that penalty he gave away at Swindon, it wasn't silly...it was mindless. Black came in and started to show what JJ doesn't have. A strong head when it's getting tough and will have the odd goal or two in him. Great cover, as still has to develop. JJ should be moved on to free up a wage for someone more capable. Oh how we missed out on Sheehan :disappointed:

Smalley - had a big chance in 09/10 and blew it. Big disappointment. Maybe a free is a little harsh, if so, then I'd definitely loan this lad out and show him how lucky he is to be a footballer...there's ability there to be a decent standard at this level. Not sure about the desire!

As for the team:

Taylor - FFS...put this lad BACK on his right f****** wing!!!!!!!!!!

Dickov, I'd rather see manage than play. He should see himself as a bench player with the target of a new player to play alongside Abbott - let's face it, knowing you'll lose ya place to the manager himself must surely be motivation for anyone.

A lot of the above is dictated by the budget, ie. Lomax and Black as cover etc. Only man who gets a real reprieve for me is Furman. Not a fan at all, but I'd give him another chance just incase he's actually got some real talent in there that can be coaxed out.

Nope, keep Smalley, lets give one last season - he wasnt fully fit last in the last campaign

Nope, keep Smalley, lets give one last season - he wasnt fully fit last in the last campaign

Wasn't fit for a time but then he was fit later on in the season and was gutless at times. Wouldn't take anyone on. Lost the ball too easily. Just simply didn't look interested. Displayed a poor attitude and if he wasn't a player through our youth system (ala Parker) he would've been getting a lot of stick. If he does get another chance, which I suspect he will due to the budget, then I hope he realises how lucky he is. And that this season is his last if he does more of the same...we don't need another Wolfenden that lingers around.

Wasn't fit for a time but then he was fit later on in the season and was gutless at times. Wouldn't take anyone on. Lost the ball too easily. Just simply didn't look interested. Displayed a poor attitude and if he wasn't a player through our youth system (ala Parker) he would've been getting a lot of stick. If he does get another chance, which I suspect he will due to the budget, then I hope he realises how lucky he is. And that this season is his last if he does more of the same...we don't need another Wolfenden that lingers around.

Probably true. I thought last season was going to be amassive season for smalley, he had a fantastic end to the previous one and I though last season would be the one the propelled him to become one of the hottest properties in the league. Instead he went the other way. Theres so much potential there (like jigsaw), and much more ability than Taylor IMO, however after last year i'm dubious as to whether any of them will make it. This season will tell if the backwards step was entirely down to that Yorkshire idiot, keep all three - however it is last chance saloon.

As for this perception that wholesale changes cause failure - I just dont buy it in todays marketlace. One of the features of the way the transfer market/money works at the moment is that teams will have a myriad of new players - the best managers know how to use that to thier advantage (for me - motivation/man management is a far bigger part of management now than 'building a squad'). Look at teams such as Norwich, Huddersfield, Swindon etc - all signing a virtual new team last season and gelling quickly. Hell the best example is the Lashers, signed a new team in the close season, and then probably brought in a new team in loanees throughout the season - and got into the premiership. The number of new faces is becoming irrelevant, its now about motivating players to succed quickly.

For me - noone is safe from the chop. Theres hundreds of available players waiting to replace them. If anyone can be sold for the betterment of the team then sobeit. And after last seaon no-one deserves there place... excet Greegs and stephens possibly - however both in turn may be chosen to be replaced.

GK New player, if not, Flav (Fleming as cover) Flav, Jamie Ashdown, Tom Heaton & Nicky Weaver

LB New Player (Black as cover, free transfer for JJ) Tony Capaldi (Cardiff), Franck Queudrue, Clint Hill, Rob Kozluk

CB Gregan (Aljofree as cover - he's available)

CB Hazell

RW Taylor (Purdie as cover, loan out Millar)

CM New Player (Furman/Worthington as cover) George Boateng, Lee Carsley, Shaun Derry

LW New Player (Colbeck as cover) Gary McSheffrey

ST New player (Dickov/Allessandra as cover, loan out Brooke) Ben Burgess, Deon Burton, Febian Brandy, Warren Feeney, Jon Macken and a boat load of others

I've only highlighted some that are available on a free. Not saying we could afford them, or they would come here anyway, but it gives you an idea of who is available. If it IS Dickov, who knows what may happen with his presumed contacts?

PS - I've avoided the joke frees like Parker, Facey etc.

Edited by Bristolatic

I've said for a little while that Tom Heaton would solve all our goalkeeping problems. He's available and would surely sign for us (rather than Rochdale or Wycombe where he has previously been).

Defenders are ten a penny at this level and we can easily sort out cover/Rubes replacement.

NB. I still don't think we need any other position changing.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

I've only highlighted some that are available on a free. Not saying we could afford them, or they would come here anyway, but it gives you an idea of who is available. If it IS Dickov, who knows what may happen with his presumed contacts?

PS - I've avoided the joke frees like Parker, Facey etc.

Almost all of them are out of our range though.

RB Lee (Holdsworth & Lomax as cover) - I think Holdsworth will be decent if he steers clear of injury

LB New Player (Black as cover, free transfer for JJ) Black = the new Adam Griffin

CB Gregan (Aljofree as cover) - Is Aljofree still here?

CB Hazell

RW Taylor (Purdie as cover, loan out Millar) - I wouldn't loan out Millar

CM New Player (Furman/Worthington as cover) - Do we really want to keep both of them? I'd get rid of one, no preference

LW New Player (Colbeck as cover) - I'd get rid of Colbeck

ST New player (Dickov/Allessandra as cover, loan out Brooke) - agree re: Brooke. I've got a feeling Dickov might get Allessandra back playing to his potential

Free transfers:

Brill - no explanation needed

Jacobson - I've seen milk turn quicker than this lad...As the season went on, got beaten time and time again. As for that penalty he gave away at Swindon, it wasn't silly...it was mindless. Black came in and started to show what JJ doesn't have. A strong head when it's getting tough and will have the odd goal or two in him. Great cover, as still has to develop. JJ should be moved on to free up a wage for someone more capable. Oh how we missed out on Sheehan :disappointed:

Smalley - had a big chance in 09/10 and blew it. Big disappointment. Maybe a free is a little harsh, if so, then I'd definitely loan this lad out and show him how lucky he is to be a footballer...there's ability there to be a decent standard at this level. Not sure about the desire! - Again, like Allessandra, I think Smalley could benefit from a much needed rocket up the arse

Dickov, I'd rather see manage than play. I think you're underestimating how good a job he'll still do at this level. Pav & Dickov = a good little & large pairing for me

• 1 month later...
GK Fleming/Brill?

RB Holdsworth/Purdie/Lomax/Lee

LB Jacobson/Black

CB Gregan

CB Hazell -

RW Smalley/Colbeck/Millar

CM Stephens

CM Worthington/Furman/Purdie/Holdsworth/Lee

LW Taylor/Colbeck

ST Abbott

ST Dickov/Eaves/Brooke/Allessandra

I can see him having a right clearout - Lomax, Brill, Jacobson, Worthington, Furman, Purdie, Colbeck, Taylor ( :shock: ), Allessandra and Smalley could all be moved on in my opinion.

A decent new Centre Back, Centre Mid, Left winger and a Striker could easily be brought in if we got rid of 6 of those 10 - Taylor, Smalley and Furman we could probably get money for.

Royle Army eat your heart out :lol:

so,

GK Fleming/Brill?

RB Holdsworth//Lomax/Lee

LB Black - i think he'll strengthen here

CB Gregan

CB Hazell - plus A N other

RW Smalley/Millar

CM Stephens/Jones

CM Furman/Holdsworth/Lee

LW Taylor - hopefully he'll replace Colbeck with an out and out left winger and use Taylor on the right

ST Abbott

ST Dickov/Eaves/Brooke/Allessandra/Feeney

looking good :grin:

so,

GK Fleming/Brill?

RB Holdsworth//Lomax/Lee

LB Black - i think he'll strengthen here

CB Gregan

CB Hazell - plus A N other

RW Smalley/Millar

CM Stephens/Jones

CM Furman/Holdsworth/Lee

LW Taylor - hopefully he'll replace Colbeck with an out and out left winger and use Taylor on the right

ST Abbott

ST Dickov/Eaves/Brooke/Allessandra/Feeney

looking good :grin:

Its looking very good, bring in Danny Coid from the Lashers who can play at left back and we're laughing

Black should be given a good 6 months at left back, let him have a decent crack at it. Out of all the players in the last 5 years who have tried there he is up with the best of them already. With a decent run to gain proper match craft he could turn out to be a decent full back who can get forward.

Black should be given a good 6 months at left back, let him have a decent crack at it. Out of all the players in the last 5 years who have tried there he is up with the best of them already.

i don't know what you've seen that I haven't to suggest this?

up with Charlton, Sheehan, Bertrand?

With a decent run to gain proper match craft he could turn out to be a decent full back who can get forward.

agree with that.

it's a gamble though and with no out and out right back (Lee, Lomax, Holdsworth) we need experience in at least one of the full back positions imo.

I'm a big fan of Blackinho. As someone who regularly writes off our youth team protegee's, I think Black will go onto have a decent career. Very comfortable on the ball. The makings of a very good full back. Very raw, but lot's of potential to work with.

Just remember he was close to joinning middlesbrough but didnt want to leave thats what he says to me.

I'm a big fan of Blackinho. As someone who regularly writes off our youth team protegee's, I think Black will go onto have a decent career. Very comfortable on the ball. The makings of a very good full back. Very raw, but lot's of potential to work with.

So he wont be playing at Stalybridge in 2 years like the rest then? :wink:

I like the look of Black too; he has the makings of decent LB. He’s raw, like all of the young ones we have, but there is definitely something to work with there. Monday’s friendly did show up something though – that once again we are a really small side; and Black is one of the smallest. Burnley’s 2 LB’s were both well over 6ft+ and big framed too. Black looked like a little boy in comparison size wise. I worry about deep crosses and wide players being able to out-jump him with ease; just down to his lack of height.

He is pretty assured in possession though, so both him and KL on the right offer us a decent ‘out’ ball instead of having to go long every time from the back.

EDIT: if the lad from City does indeed come in on loan as is being reported on SSN; that’s Black on the bench then surely; or else why bring him in?

Edited by slystallone