Ferdinand shocker

England skipper Rio Ferdinand has suffered an injury setback during the squad's first training session in South Africa.

The central defender sustained a knee injury during the final couple of minutes and has gone to hospital to undergo a scan.

England manager Fabio Capello is uncertain at this stage of the severity of the injury.

But he confirmed: "Rio picked up a knee problem in training.

"It happened near the end. He has gone to hospital for a scan and we will have to see how things are :blink:

England captain Rio Ferdinand is facing the possibility of World Cup heartache only 24 hours after arriving in South Africa to prepare for the finals.

The Manchester United star left hospital on crutches this afternoon after undergoing a scan on the knee injury suffered during the final minutes of England's second training session at their Bafokeng Sports Centre base.

The problem resulted from Ferdinand being on the receiving end of what coach Fabio Capello described as a "minor tackle".

England captain Rio Ferdinand is facing the possibility of World Cup heartache only 24 hours after arriving in South Africa to prepare for the finals.

The Manchester United star left hospital on crutches this afternoon after undergoing a scan on the knee injury suffered during the final minutes of England's second training session at their Bafokeng Sports Centre base.

The problem resulted from Ferdinand being on the receiving end of what coach Fabio Capello described as a "minor tackle".

He is out Bob... Confirmed...

He is out Bob... Confirmed...

Most over-rated defender EVER! Hopefully we'll be able to defend set-pieces now - but still Ferdinand is Sky's Golden Boy, they're making it sound like it's some sort of national disaster!. They weren't this sombre reporting on the Cumbrian massacre! And they're already writing King off. Injury problems or not he's a better player than Ferdinand. But please God do not let Mr. 'Over-Commitment' Carragher anywhere near the centre of defence...

Edited by oafcprozac

Most over-rated defender EVER! Hopefully we'll be able to defend set-pieces now - but still Ferdinand is Sky's bum-boy and King is already being written off.Injury problems or not he's a better player than Ferdinand. But please God do not let Mr. 'Over-Commitment' Carragher anywhere near the centre of defence...

I would imagine Dawson is getting a phone call right now...

Carragher is a good utility / backup player to have I think... But can see Dawson getting the nod ahead of him...

I would imagine Dawson is getting a phone call right now...

Carragher is a good utility / backup player to have I think... But can see Dawson getting the nod ahead of him...

King will get the nod imo...Dawson's not very good either imo - having said that did Upson get in?

If he's ever picked his nose, it's the only thing he'll have ever picked - because his marking is shiiitteeeeeee. Not bothered one bit, was he really EVER going to play all of the games.

Overrated, injury prone, arrogant, over paid & international days over - good riddance to him.

For me its

Terry

King

Dawson

Carragher

Upson

Not quite that simple though. There needs to be someone with pace (obviously depending on the opposition), so it kind of splits into two lists:

No/little pace:

Terry

Upson

Carragher

Pace:

King

Dawson

As King will be injured at some point, I'd not at all be surprised to see Dawson taking part (e.g. Slovenia if through).

NB. Although this in itself backs up your one list :wink:

See - all those people who said Heskey should stay at home... he's done the country a great service already.

(Yep, Rio copped one off Emille to get his injury... :lol: )

Dawson will be brought in to replace Rio in the squad - that much is fact.

I think who starts will be between King and Upson. Probably King vs the USA.

only time will tell weather this is bad news, im not really bothered at the minute that he is out

Ledley King though was in the squad as a possible replacement for John Terry (if anything happened top him)

King also had a shocker against Mexico, and everyone knows about his injury problems, when will he break down again? its only a matter of time!

i think Carragher, Upson and Dawson will be rubbing there hands at this