World Cup 2010 - Reports: Capello to resign if England crash out

No he shouldn't resign.......the same players in the same formation played and easily beat better teams in the qualifications.......the blame falls fairly and squarely on our overpaid "superstars".

Just an opinion, and I can take differing opinions, but we are missing Beckham and Ferdinand.....two players who can hold onto a ball and who can slow the game down......the rest of our squad try to play at pace without control.

friday night was the first time fabio was under pressure in his 2 years in charge and he was left wanting he had no ideas no plan b and was unwilling to make any real change. 442 wasnt workin so he tried changing to 442 but with 3 players who he deemed as not good enough to start in the original 442. joe cole is the one player bar rooney who can unlock a defence and make something out of nothing. SWP and lennon have been poor at best yet he still selects them ahead of cole. and i no cole wasnt a regualr at chelsea but he played more than the other two did. heskey is an asset when rooney is on form but when rooney isnt doing anythin we just carry heskey

The so called "Golden Generation" should resign, not Fabio. Bunch of babies.

Bollocks - Fabio shouldn't be there in the first place. He ought to be either:

a ) managing the holders

b ) doing TV work

c ) on holiday

Edited by Stitch_KTF

For possibly the first time ever, Slurms has a point. Even if he is Scottish.

If we fail to go through on Wednesday then I wouldn't just be ending the England career of Capello. I'd also be ending it for Ferdinand, Terry, Lampard, Barry, Carragher, SWP, Heskey and a few others.

Then I'd give the England coach job to Stuart Pearce and tell him he has a minimum of four years, whatever happens. Get the best young squad together he can, made up from the younger element if this squad and the best of his U21s, use the 2012 Euro campaign as a development competition and have a settled, experienced, still young and hungry squad ready for Brazil 2014.

If we fail to go through on Wednesday then I wouldn't just be ending the England career of Capello. I'd also be ending it for Ferdinand, Terry, Lampard, Barry, Carragher, SWP, Heskey and a few others.

Then I'd give the England coach job to Stuart Pearce and tell him he has a minimum of four years, whatever happens. Get the best young squad together he can, made up from the younger element if this squad and the best of his U21s, use the 2012 Euro campaign as a development competition and have a settled, experienced, still young and hungry squad ready for Brazil 2014.

+1

If Fabio Capello (former AC Milan, Roma, Real Madrid, Juventus - 7 x Serie A titles, 2 x La Liga titles, 1 x Champions League title) can't get England doing the business, then Stuart Pearce (sacked by Man City after a season where they only scored 10 goals at home and were nearly relegated) won't be able to do the business.

It's the players, not the manager that is the problem.

If Fabio Capello (former AC Milan, Roma, Real Madrid, Juventus - 7 x Serie A titles, 2 x La Liga titles, 1 x Champions League title) can't get England doing the business, then Stuart Pearce (sacked by Man City after a season where they only scored 10 goals at home and were nearly relegated) won't be able to do the business.

Agreed.

And there's no man other than Roy Hodgson next in line.

I think some of the blame should lie with Capello. Just because he has an exemplary club record, and successfully guided us through qualification, has no bearing whatever on how he performs in the unique couldron environment of a World Cup or European Championship Finals. His apparently dogmatic rigidity in his tactical approach will be as much to blame as the players' underperformance. If we get through on Wednesday and try Capello's 442 against a decent side we'll get hammered.

Pearce failed as a club manager, but he has had success with England U21's (if you call losing 4-0 to the Germans in the Euro U21 Final a success...), and is gaining vital international coaching experience all the time.

We could learn many things from the German approach to their national team. Including coaching continuity and succession planning.

Edited by garcon

Fair point, but there's a host of things which affect performance. Player ability and management are the key ones of course, but also desire, confidence, pressure and expectation, luck etc.

The players, while not as good as many English armchair fans like to pretend, are certainly better than they have shown in this tournament, and in failing to qualify for the last. I personally hold impressionable supporters and journalists as responsible as the manager (due to their unreasonable expectation), not to mention a bit of good old karma in English football getting exactly what it deserves.

I think some of the blame should lie with Capello. Just because he has an exemplary club record, and successfully guided us through qualification, has no bearing whatever on how he performs in the unique couldron environment of a World Cup or European Championship Finals. His apparently dogmatic rigidity in his tactical approach will be as much to blame as the players' underperformance. If we get through on Wednesday and try Capello's 442 against a decent side we'll get hammered.

Pearce failed as a club manager, but he has had success with England U21's (if you call losing 4-0 to the Germans in the Euro U21 Final a success...), and is gaining vital international coaching experience all the time.

We could learn many things from the German approach to their national team. Including coaching continuity and succession planning.

Stuart Pearce is not the answer, Capello is. Can everyone just calm down a bit please? We're going to walk it on Wednesday.

After Pearce gloriously gets us the wooden spoon in 2012 qualifying, can we have that Terry Venables back?

The present crop of players have consistantly underachieved when pulling on the england shirt.

There is undoubtably talent there but it rarely comes to the fore. I think these players will look back on their england careers and think we could and should have achieved so much more.

I expect england to turn in a workmanlike performance on wednesday and just do enough to get through, although i wouldn't expect any samba football.

I personally think that is very much the FA’s plan; with Pearce’s involvement at U21 and Senior level in this current regime; I think they are grooming him for the next manager.

It makes sense if you take the person involved out of the equation – continuity of players through the system; the U21’s becoming a real feeder for the Senior side and a manager who knows the players from the off.

Where it falls down for me is the person involved; Pearce – as dave ragg says – whilst undoubtedly a legend as a player; SP’s managerial career isn’t exactly glittering and even though he is involved with the Senior International side now in the backroom staff; you’ve got to feel he’s too inexperienced for the job.

As for Capello not being the right man for job – meh. It’s not him; it’s this generation of players that are the problem – whilst being talented players on the pitch, off it; the likes of Cashley Cole & John Terry et all are the shinning examples of all that wrong with professional footballers in this country; and their lax attitude to wearing the England shirt and playing for their country beggars belief. Cut it up & start again I say after this World Cup – Milner, Dawson, Adam Johnson and their peers are the future so lets start it as soon as…….

now england are out :bigcry: i wonder if capello stays as manager , if not i hope they give martin o'neil the job , he is 1class manager

Martin O'Neill would be lucky to get a shift out of those lazy --. Failure.

now england are out :bigcry: i wonder if capello stays as manager , if not i hope they give martin o'neil the job , he is 1class manager

1st class like Fabio Capello? Oh no the 'Golden Generation' is now gone, whatever are we to do?! I've been saying for years these clowns won't win a thing or come anywhere near it, but of course, telling the truth doesn't sell expensive TV packages does it.........

That German side wasn't special, but they knew their jobs and they got on with it. They worked for each other, not for themselves and their bulging egos.

Edited by LeylandLatic