Steve Tilson thinks we'll struggle

Promotion : Southampton & Sheffield Wednesday

Play-offs : Brighton, Brentford, Plymouth, Peterborough

Star Players : Rickie Lambert, Craig Dawson, James Brown, ??? Morrison (Brentford)

Strugglers : Rochdale, Oldham, Tranmere, Hartlepool but any of about 8 or 10

Edited by Latics_Fanatic

Promotion : Southampton & Sheffield Wednesday

Play-offs : Brighton, Brentford, Plymouth, Peterborough

Star Players : Rickie Lambert, Craig Dawson, James Brown, ??? Morrison (Brentford)

Strugglers : Rochdale, Oldham, Tranmere, Hartlepool but any of about 8 or 10

ah the wise words of unemployed Steve Tilson

If your on the outside looking in you would probably go with the same based on last season and our top scorer has been sold for next to nowt with no real "on paper" better replacement. That without knowing what we all know! and seeing preseason if we play like we have we will do alright!

Nothing to write home about realy! All I will say is theres always a team that does better than people think. Lets hope its our turn for a change!!!!!

As radical as it sounds, I happen to think Steve Tilson's pretty spot on with this. Next season will be a struggle.

Or fs the team puts some effort in, works together and has the odd shot and goal, they might actually do ok. It's not rocket science this division, its just the thick managers and players that make it look like it is.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Or fs the team puts some effort in, works together and has the odd shot and goal, they might actually do ok. It's not rocket science this division, its just the thick managers and players that make it look like it is.

No, it's a piece of piss this division we're in. I mean, everyone gets promoted eventually, don't they?

Well i for one ( for whatever reason ) feel more optimistic about this season than any of the last few. Okay my bubble may burst, but for now i'm gonna continue blowing it. :latics:

i feel optimistic as well, at last we have some decent football to watch

Tilson's prediction is more realistic than some of those on here.

I think we’ll have enough to avoid the drop this season – “enough” not necessarily being the quality of player; more the extra work-rate & effort that the players have had to put in; coming from PD & Tags.

I can see that; coupled with the extra fitness work meaning we convert a few potential draws to wins late on.

I hope that; in comparison to last season, we actually get a run of some home wins too. Away from home; we all know dangerous Dave made us hard to beat with his 4-5-1; setting his stall out for the draw from the off at places like Southampton & Charlton. I think that this time; we might be on for a few ‘stuffing’s’ away from home if we go out and play the attack minded high pressing game we’ve done in pre-season.

On the balance I think we’ll pick up less draws away from home than last season; those becoming a few more losses over the season BUT that to be off-set by converting draws & losses that we had last term at home into more wins this time

I think 15th to 12th is a realistic & achievable target; and one that would show improvement on the playing side of things.

Hmm I think I said we might do "ok" not go up as champions, bit of a difference there.

No, you implied that the division "wasn't rocket science" meaning it's a doddle to do OK. Given the owners have done a form of asset stripping in slashing the budget, bailing out (well, two of them) and putting 7 or 8 players straight on the transfer list and relying on an enthusiastic (but as yet unproven - He could easily turn out to be :censored:e and found wanting when games come thick and fast) manager, a young squad and some last minute loan signings then yeah, I think on paper (as Tilson is looking at it) we'll be in for a struggle.

As radical as it sounds, I happen to think Steve Tilson's pretty spot on with this. Next season will be a struggle.

Correct, despite what people think 11 Cooksey or Warne type players will see us go down. Quality is what counts. Gregan misses 20% of the season and we will be right down there.

Any optimism I have is based on the fact we might be play more entertaining football this time around. We may have a go at teams and we'll end up with some more enjoyable games and some more home wins. On the flip side where Penney might have had us drawing or narrowly losing against the good teams (Norwich, Millwall, Colchester, Huddersfield and Swindon at home and Chalrton, Southampton and Colchester away) I think we'll more likely get hammered against them under Dickov because of the football we play if it is an attacking style then the better midfields and frontlines will find it easier to break us down. But I can accept a few drubbings against good teams. What I can't accept is home draws/losses to teams like Tranmere, Wycombe, Stockport, Yeovil, Hartlepool, Brentford, Southend.

So yeah, I'm not optimistic for our league position. I think we'll finish around the same place we finished last season, maybe a couple higher. But I'm optimistic we'll see a more dedicated, attacking approach to our play, which at least, will be enjoyable to watch. Who knows, we may even turn a few heads this season and get a midtable finish. If we can put some teams away at home that we should be beating.

Edited by PlayItLivo

Any optimism I have is based on the fact we might be play more entertaining football this time around. We may have a go at teams and we'll end up with some more enjoyable games and some more home wins. On the flip side where Penney might have had us drawing or narrowly losing against the good teams (Norwich, Millwall, Colchester, Huddersfield and Swindon at home and Chalrton, Southampton and Colchester away) I think we'll more likely get hammered against them under Dickov because of the football we play if it is an attacking style then the better midfields and frontlines will find it easier to break us down. But I can accept a few drubbings against good teams. What I can't accept is home draws/losses to teams like Wycombe, Stockport, Yeovil, Hartlepool, Brentford, Southend.

So yeah, I'm not optimistic for our league position. I think we'll finish around the same place we finished last season, maybe a couple higher. But I'm optimistic we'll see a more dedicated, attacking approach to our play, which at least, will be enjoyable to watch. Who knows, we may even turn a few heads this season and get a midtable finish. If we can put some teams away at home that we should be beating.

I think we will surprise some of our own fans and grind ou a few results where we maybe expected to lose.