Steve Tilson thinks we'll struggle

He's pretty spot on though, isn't he? We are in for a struggle. Don't let a few meaningless pre-season friendlies kid you all.

We didn't finish too far off the relegations slots last season and, despite how much I didn't rate him, we've lost our top scorer. Add that to the fact that our skipper, who will be massive for us, is already struggling with niggles and is a year older (and no spring chicken), I think it's fair to say we are likely to finish nearer the bottom than the top.

I think we will surprise some of our own fans and grind ou a few results where we maybe expected to lose.

I hope so. Perhaps if we can get a couple of wins on the bounce and then get Huddersfield at Boundary Park while they're going through a sticky patch we could get a decent win. I just hope we don't resort to hoofball football when we're behind.

Edited by PlayItLivo

Any optimism I have is based on the fact we might be play more entertaining football this time around. We may have a go at teams and we'll end up with some more enjoyable games and some more home wins. On the flip side where Penney might have had us drawing or narrowly losing against the good teams (Norwich, Millwall, Colchester, Huddersfield and Swindon at home and Chalrton, Southampton and Colchester away) I think we'll more likely get hammered against them under Dickov because of the football we play if it is an attacking style then the better midfields and frontlines will find it easier to break us down. But I can accept a few drubbings against good teams. What I can't accept is home draws/losses to teams like Tranmere, Wycombe, Stockport, Yeovil, Hartlepool, Brentford, Southend.

So yeah, I'm not optimistic for our league position. I think we'll finish around the same place we finished last season, maybe a couple higher. But I'm optimistic we'll see a more dedicated, attacking approach to our play, which at least, will be enjoyable to watch. Who knows, we may even turn a few heads this season and get a midtable finish. If we can put some teams away at home that we should be beating.

Shez played attacking football. Which resulted in us hardly losing against those teams. We even stuffed Leeds at their place playing attacking football.

I hope so. Perhaps if we can get a couple of wins on the bounce and then get Huddersfield at Boundary Park while they're going through a sticky patch we could get a decent win. I just hope we don't resort to hoofball football when we're behind.

I hope we do if the situation calls for it. Not aimless hoofs to dwarven players with no support mind

I don't see how we'll turn from a poor side in to a top 6 side this season.

Yes, there's the enthusiasm of a new to the job manager. But the personnel changes don't, as yet, look like we've got better players. Perhaps the same players better motivated is the best we can hope for.

So, I think we'll be mid-table, perhaps just below. I don't think we'll go down. I'd be gobsmacked if we put in any kind of promotion/play-off form though.

Whatever the outcome, I hope it's good to watch and the we battle for everything.

Correct, despite what people think 11 Cooksey or Warne type players will see us go down. Quality is what counts. Gregan misses 20% of the season and we will be right down there.

spot on there it's one of the most misguided beleifs in the game that it's all about passion, passion is important but you need the right blend of passion and skill to succeed.

I personally beleive that last seasons team was full of triers who simply weren't good enough (Joe Colbeck being a fine example) and it showed in games like against Huddersfield and Norwich that we lacked the quality to compete, Sheridan's problem was he had the quality in players like O'Grady and Davies but struggled to get the best out of them, it's baffled me as to why people always seem to label passion as the reason for failure both with Latics and England, when in truth it's much more deep rooted

He's pretty spot on though, isn't he? We are in for a struggle. Don't let a few meaningless pre-season friendlies kid you all.

We didn't finish too far off the relegations slots last season and, despite how much I didn't rate him, we've lost our top scorer. Add that to the fact that our skipper, who will be massive for us, is already struggling with niggles and is a year older (and no spring chicken), I think it's fair to say we are likely to finish nearer the bottom than the top.

Same every year, knock over a few dud pre-season matches and next up, we're in the World Cup finals playing Holland. I still think we'll do Tranmere though, no matter how :censored:e we are. Aim for fifth from bottom and everything else, as they say - is a bonus.

I've not even seen a friendly but I think we've struck gold with Dickov, he'll be ruthless. If we can get a settled team then I reckon this apparent effort and enthusiasm will see us upper mid-table and looking up come half way. We've a few good players in my opinion, perhaps only a left back (and keeper?) short of a decent 1st team, and there will hopefully be an additional will to succeed given the off field doubts.

:peepwall:

No, you implied that the division "wasn't rocket science" meaning it's a doddle to do OK. Given the owners have done a form of asset stripping in slashing the budget, bailing out (well, two of them) and putting 7 or 8 players straight on the transfer list and relying on an enthusiastic (but as yet unproven - He could easily turn out to be :censored:e and found wanting when games come thick and fast) manager, a young squad and some last minute loan signings then yeah, I think on paper (as Tilson is looking at it) we'll be in for a struggle.

bet your a right fkin giggle at a wake.... :unsure:

Yet again there's much worse than us in this league. Tilson's prediction's aren't very imaginative, he's practically gone with what everyone knows will happen up at the top, and gone for the strugglers from last year.

I do think Tranmere and Hartlepool have a touch season ahead, but there's a whole pot of sides gonna be thinking they might fall out of the league.

I think we'll be comfortably safe.

Shez played attacking football. Which resulted in us hardly losing against those teams. We even stuffed Leeds at their place playing attacking football.

And lost 5-0 to hopeless Hereford...

PlayitLivo is spot on and saying what I have for years...

This division...results business...go for more attractive, expansive football with kids or players who are average and raise their game every once in a while and you'll upset some teams and get twatted by others. And more often than not, produce relegation form like Shez did in his final 5 months...And as Frankly Mr Shankly says, we had better players too under Shez...This season is going to be tough! More reaping and sowing coming up...

Edited by boundaryblue80

And lost 5-0 to hopeless Hereford...

PlayitLivo is spot on and saying what I have for years...

This division...results business...go for more attractive, expansive football with kids or players who are average and raise their game every once in a while and you'll upset some teams and get twatted by others. And more often than not, produce relegation form like Shez did in his final 5 months...And as Frankly Mr Shankly says, we had better players too under Shez...This season is going to be tough! More reaping and sowing coming up...

Well, would rather see games like in Shez's time in charge - dished out a few hammerings, inspired perfomances against bigger teams, got battered a few times

OR

see games how Penney did them last season - setting out to defend a point from the beginning, most boring and negative football at BP in recent years?

Well, would rather see games like in Shez's time in charge - dished out a few hammerings, inspired perfomances against bigger teams, got battered a few times

OR

see games how Penney did them last season - setting out to defend a point from the beginning, most boring and negative football at BP in recent years?

Good for you...I didn't particularly enjoy the relegation form in Shez's final months. But for starting off at blistering pace (when he had his team nicely settled, before ripping it apart) we would've ended up playing Hereford in a 6-pointer and looking very very worried by the end of it. If it goes horribly wrong this season under this new-found entertaining football (which trust me, getting hammered weekly could be a possibility) I'll be sure to ask you if you're being entertained.

I really do think some of our lot would accept relegation for a "bit of entertainment"....

Good for you...I didn't particularly enjoy the relegation form in Shez's final months. But for starting off at blistering pace (when he had his team nicely settled, before ripping it apart) we would've ended up playing Hereford in a 6-pointer and looking very very worried by the end of it. If it goes horribly wrong this season under this new-found entertaining football (which trust me, getting hammered weekly could be a possibility) I'll be sure to ask you if you're being entertained.

I really do think some of our lot would accept relegation for a "bit of entertainment"....

I never said which part under Shez. Meant mostly in general the games you saw.

And i'll be honest, last few months under Shez was relegation form, but so was the season under penney.

No, you implied that the division "wasn't rocket science" meaning it's a doddle to do OK. Given the owners have done a form of asset stripping in slashing the budget, bailing out (well, two of them) and putting 7 or 8 players straight on the transfer list and relying on an enthusiastic (but as yet unproven - He could easily turn out to be :censored:e and found wanting when games come thick and fast) manager, a young squad and some last minute loan signings then yeah, I think on paper (as Tilson is looking at it) we'll be in for a struggle.

No, by saying something isn’t “rocket science” I am implying that it is not complicated. Working in a factory on a production line isn’t rocket science, but it is hard work and it tends to work better with a manager with half a brain, a good work ethic and a team that works together. Their lives however can be made easier when other competitors lack that work ethic, the team doesn’t work together and the manager lacks a brain.

This can be transferred to League 1, the fact that a team can finish near the top one season and then finish near the bottom the next and vice versa supports this.

As for Tilson, on paper there is an argument to say we could struggle, but there is also an argument to say otherwise. I would hedge my bets though that Tilson knows little of what is going on at Oldham and I think it’s probably just a lazy response.