bidding war

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as possible, I would hope that they are sticking out for 500k. We should also be extending Stephens contract ASAP.

it seems they are trying to pay the fee in 2 payments (maybe more), we want a bigger upfront fee that they are offering

Stephens is next yeah

it seems they are trying to pay the fee in 2 payments (maybe more), we want a bigger upfront fee that they are offering

Stephens is next yeah

If we lose Stephens....then we are in real, real s**t! I'll re-iterate I'll be disappointed if Eaves goes but if Stephens does, we've signed our warrant out of this league! 3 players kept us up last season...1 has gone, 1 won't be able to produce anything like he did last season (IMO) and 1 is the only player in the side that I can see being a constant source of goals and assists. It's essential Stephens is nailed down...in a contractual, not-for-sale way!

PS The argument...it depends who you replace him with won't work either...it'll be Jones moving into the middle. Ok, early doors for that lad here, but evidence elsewhere says he'll be alright but nothing like what we've seen Stephens produce.

Edited by boundaryblue80

It's imperative we get something sorted with stephens asap, if eaves has to go ( as seems the case ) then we need to try to hold onto our better players that remain to attract the lapsed support, otherwise we don't stand a cat in hells chance of improving gates.

Would we be accepting bids of 350K for Eaves and 250K for Eardley had we sold Porter for the 750K that was on offer in the January window prior to him shafting the club? I would so no. Further I would say that was the start of TTA falling out with the harsh realities of running a football club.

Edited by Lags

If we lose Stephens....then we are in real, real s**t! I'll re-iterate I'll be disappointed if Eaves goes but if Stephens does, we've signed our warrant out of this league! 3 players kept us up last season...1 has gone, 1 won't be able to produce anything like he did last season (IMO) and 1 is the only player in the side that I can see being a constant source of goals and assists. It's essential Stephens is nailed down...in a contractual, not-for-sale way!

PS The argument...it depends who you replace him with won't work either...it'll be Jones moving into the middle. Ok, early doors for that lad here, but evidence elsewhere says he'll be alright but nothing like what we've seen Stephens produce.

Don’t normally find myself doing so, but I do agree 100% with you on the fact that we need to look to extend young Dale’s contract as a matter of urgency.

By far the classiest & most comfortable on the ball player we now have at the club (after Abbotts departure) – I said on a thread prior to the Tramps game that I think realistically Dale should be looking for 8-10 goals from Midfield this season; as I hope he’ll improve on his dead-balls and get more goals from free-kicks. I also want him playing further forward than he was for large chunks of last season; pushing into the final third and getting into positions to either shoot himself or set up others. Saturday worked out nicely on that front didn’t it? () so I hope he continues in that vein for the rest of the season.

If I was AH or SC; I’d be drafting up a fresh 2 year deal; with an option of a 3rd year and holding Dale down until he signs it.

Watching the Watford vs Norwich game on Friday night and the commentators kept harking on about Watford missing their 2 loanee CM’s from last season; Tom Cleverly & Henri Landsbury. I have to say that on his showings last season & this pre-season; Dale would make a positive impact on a side like Watford – I can easily see him being more than comfortable playing in the midfield of a Championship club. I fully expect bids for him in Jan if he continues to develop a pace with his current levels.

Have the 'Chron used the same source?

Bison

£350,000 seems a bit disappointing given all the furore. <_<

The following comments regarding lack of reinvestment are interested, if not unexpected.

Tankoure and M'Voto bought on the reliance of the cash... interesting. Lets hope it doesnt fall to bits and bite us in the arse. Not a nice position for young Tom to be in if he actually doesnt want to leave. Brings back memories of the alleged Trotman tears, and his career hasnt exactly flourished when he left. I'm sure young Tom has seen that.

Ah well, smell ya later kiddo...

Wikipedia is now reporting that Eaves is expected to be unveiled as a Bolton Wanderers player on 11th August 2010 after passing a medical at the Reebok, He will become Owen Coyle’s fifth signing of the summer after the Whites agreed an undisclosed fee with Oldham Athletic, beating off competition from Blackburn Rovers, Burnley and Newcastle United.

One hour to go!!

Wikipedia is now reporting that Eaves is expected to be unveiled as a Bolton Wanderers player on 11th August 2010 after passing a medical at the Reebok, He will become Owen Coyle’s fifth signing of the summer after the Whites agreed an undisclosed fee with Oldham Athletic, beating off competition from Blackburn Rovers, Burnley and Newcastle United.

One hour to go!!

Undisclosed fees really get my back up.....it's totally unnescesary and fans have a right to know, it's all part of supporting your club!!!

£350k for a player that has had 'one good friendly' and didn't make much impact in sub appearances last year?

For me that is reasonable. Of course he may go on to be a brilliant player and we will feel robbed, but he could also be the next Wolf / Hall / Tipton (the welsh Micheal Owen at one point) / McNiven etc etc

£350k for a player that has had 'one good friendly' and didn't make much impact in sub appearances last year?

For me that is reasonable. Of course he may go on to be a brilliant player and we will feel robbed, but he could also be the next Wolf / Hall / Tipton (the welsh Micheal Owen at one point) / McNiven etc etc

Let's be honest, will he even get a chance at Premier Greed level? How often do teams blood good young English players? - especially upfront and Bolton are perennial strugglers so they are more likely to go down the cheap foreigner/experienced/panic buy route. Eaves unless he proves to be really something special will fall by the wayside and only be allowed to play week in week out at Championship level at best. I hope i'm wrong but nowadays even a young Alan Shearer or Robbie Fowler would struggle to get games week in week out in the Premier Greed.

The England team last night proved their is a yawning chasm in the lack of never mind good english talent but bread and butter English players that the top-flight clubs are willing to gamble on. I'd argue it is time to hand over the England team to the football league, because that's where all the exceptional English talent is. But in years gone by where Liverpool would sign Kevin Keegan from Scunny, Man Utd sign Lee Sharpe from Torquay and Arsenal Lee Dixon from Stoke - all former England internationals this simply does not happen anymore and if it does these type of players soon return to a lower level due to an expectation of instant delivery - Jason Scotland being binned by Wigan is a prime example etc ...

Good luck Tom, you're going to need it!