Latics 3-0 Notts County

This is one of the occasions Ackey when I really hope you're wrong, and I know deep down you do too. But you don't half come across as a bleedin know all because of your short term employment with the club, resulting in constant supercillious comments about anything & everything inside Boundary Park.

Delfer, do you know a bloke called Jeff Walker?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my defence, I am pre-menstrual. Press me any further and I'll go into more detail :grin::wink:

Arghhhh,, no flirting on the web,................... reaching for empty bucket soon to be filled with my earlier meal of red wine and curry.......

Just got in, lets say i've been 'toasting the performance', but that was absolutely fantastic. The first goal especially is as good a goal as i've seen at BP in the last few years. at least. The passing beforehand, keeping the ball, no-one looking for the killer pass just keeping composed was just superb, and then the eventual pass into space and strike were sublime. All five goals i've seen us score this season (i missed the scunny match) have been superb in fact. And the fact the players actually seem to be enjoying playing for us at the moment is even more encouraging. I can't make Charlton next weekend, but I can't remember being so excited for a home game against a team like Yeovil for years. Long may it continue!

i think you need a break off here Mr Angry

Well how random was your question? I ain't angry at all, just not sure how to reply to an indiscriminate question about knowing someone from a guy (I presume) called creepy?? It was just a nuance on my part, sorry.

Well how random was your question? I ain't angry at all, just not sure how to reply to an indiscriminate question about knowing someone from a guy (I presume) called creepy?? It was just a nuance on my part, sorry.

im female actually

does it matter how 'random' my question was, there was no need to call me a prat (i think you was calling me that)

you obviously dont know who Jeff Walker is do you

x

This is one of the occasions Ackey when I really hope you're wrong, and I know deep down you do too. But you don't half come across as a bleedin know all because of your short term employment with the club, resulting in constant supercillious comments about anything & everything inside Boundary Park.

From my own point of view, I'm quite disappointed that Ackey hasn't dished significantly more dirt/insights from his period of employment.

But you can't please 'em all.

From my own point of view, I'm quite disappointed that Ackey hasn't dished significantly more dirt/insights from his period of employment.

But you can't please 'em all.

I have to say today was the most I have enjoyed a Latics performance since the NYD massacre of Forest. What a refreshing change, every player knew their job and did it to the best of their ability. We did ride our luck a little at times especially when Brill spilled at the feet of Hughes but thankfully recovered. Some of the football was breathtaking! Not getting carried away it's a long old season BUT even though we have a very tough away game next week the following two weeks on paper at least we have two very winnable home games.

Match Ratings

Brill - Apart rom the spillage at the feet of slaphead very assured and a good save from Burgess with his legs and the tip over from the close-range mis-hit shot. 7

Lee - Linking very well with the excellent Jones, stood up, tackled well and didn't allow the attacker to beat him on the inside. And WTF was he doing in the middle for the 3rd goal??? LMAO! 7

Jarrett - Doesn't win many headers, but so assured on the deck and made one or two excellent breaks due to being so cmfortable with the ball at his feet. 8

Rubes - Excellent, tenacious in the tackle, superb in the air and Hughes was pretty much marked out of the game 8

Black - Gets better every time I see him, now allowed to push on but defensively he is just as assured. 7

Jones - My MOM, a constant pain in the arse and a few quality deliveries, passes inside and then gets on his bike into space. Perhaps he doesn't prefer playing wide, but he was bloody effective yesterday. 9

Furman - We are seeing the player we thought we were signing, good tackler and keeps the ball and now willing to push on. What a goal too!!! 8

Stephens - Thought he was effective, if quieter than previous performances. Still played a big part in keeping the ball and keeping the tempo flowing. 7

Lewi - Different player, hardworking and you can see he oozes quality on the ball, needs to be a bit greedier and get his shots away. If he had been today he could easily have had a brace but failed to shoot when getting in threatening positions. 8

Tounkare - Should have scored with that earlier header, and flitted in and out of the game. Looked a little lazy and dare I say cumbersome at times but came alive in the final third and what a finish for his goal! I would like to see him hold it better and lay off a bit more. But as a young lad and more games ensue I'm sure this will come. 7

Bembo - Worked hard, but simply didn't happen for him today. Still he's a young kid and time on the pitch will have done him no harm at all. County were always aware of his pace and they backed off allowing the midfield more space. 6

At 1-0 down County were beginning to get back into the game but Short gave the game away by taking off their best player in Davies. Defensively we looked a little brittle at times and i'm sure we won't get away with dodgy defending at the Valley next week. I have to say though for the first time since Shez's first season we had genuine excitement and three quality goals that would have graced any match anywhere today. The atmosphere was one of togetherness too and it was good to see Taylor back on the pitch although I think he'll have a helluva job on his hands to regain his place.

This is probably the youngest Latics team we've put out since Ritchie was in charge, but many of last season's players seem to have discovered new impetus and hunger, we're playing with a freedom and a passion I have not seen for years. I hope we can keep it up because hard work and ruthlessness in front of goal goes a long way in this division. Keep working hard boys that's all we ask. Not getting carried away but the early signs are so, so encouraging!

As for Hughes proved my thinking all along, great when things are going well, incredibly ineffective when things are going titsup...

Tom and Pawel who???? :wink:

Edited by oafcprozac

Just seen the goals on The Football League Show. 63 minutes in to "series link" for those who want to get straight to it on Sky+!

I'm sure we had a dozen passes prior to the first. TV only showed 5 or 6. Did I think it was a bigger number becuase I'm not used to us getting over two passes in succession, or was it really between 10 and 15?

The finish for the second goal is even better than I thought. The angle isn't kind and what looked like all power from the RRE End is actually so much more of a controlled finish.

As for the third, Kieron Lee showed us exactly what a good central midfielder should do. Break the play up, spread it wide and charge on. Excellent goal again.

I still thought we were better at Tranmere last week - more composed on the ball for longer periods. There were times when we were second best yesterday against a side that, in all truth, weren't very good. So there's a long way to go before I'll consider this team to be a genuine contender for play-offs or better.

But you know what, they care. They want to make it hard for opponents. They want the ball. The game actually means something to them. Putting in the workrate and playing like that will doubtless see one or two players move onwards and upwards in the January transfer window. If the management ensure that the replacements in the squad commit in the same way, there's nothing to worry about.

Early days. Expect the occasional hiding on the journey to come. But this is going to be a really enjoyable season.

Those who's interest has wobbled under Penney (and earlier) really do need to get themselves back on board.

Latics is fun again!

Well in the cold light of day what can I say.

"Bloody excellent"

I know its only two games in but we are playing with a passion that was missing mostly all last season.

The results matter of course but if we are going to lose to better oppostion (and I don't really know based on two games in and looking at everyone else's results), then I want to lose based on the passion we have seen pre-season and two games in.

We want to be entertained, we want value for money, we want to walk away from games saying "chuffing fantastic...."

That's my team and I can't wait for the next game, even on a cold winter's night.

Our support was excellent too - well done everyone. The atmosphere was electric, positive and vibrant and I was frazzling in the sun too ( wonder how many got sunburnt.

Wonder how many now have changed their minds and are going to Charlton next week. I know two already. :wink:

Hope we can keep the momentum up, I am not going to get too carried away with where we are going to end up in the table yet, its early days. Lets see where we are 10 games in.

However, I am feeling quitely optimistic at least of a top 10 place.

Bought my Charlton tickets before the game, especially glad now - top of the table clash.

Great result, 3 goals and could have been more (though for my bet I could have done with Hughes bagging a late consolation...nevermind) and confidence is high. No doubt there will be tougher games ahead, and less enjoyable results, but enjoying the feel-good factor at the moment.

Not seen enough to think we have gone from relegation candidates to promotion contenders overnight, but it seems more likely now than its seemed for a while.

Roll on next Saturday.

Lee - Linking very well with the excellent Jones, stood up, tackled well and didn't allow the attacker to beat him on the inside. And WTF was he doing in the middle for the 3rd goal??? LMAO! 7

Total football, mate. As well as resembling Real Madrid and the 2008 Spain side, there were also shades of the 1974 Holland team (If you're going to get carried away you might as well really go for it.)

If true that is a very good thing... Going to Latics became a real waste of time so if that has changed then great...

It has a similar feeling to the start of the 08/09 season, when we came roaring out of the blocks like we have now so far.

The atmosphere reminded me of Latics 2-0 MK Dons (link), with the sun out and a happy, vibrant atmosphere in the stands.

No guarantee that it will continue, but the signs are good.

By the way, did anyone read the new Sports Science guy Paul Butler's section in the programme? He has put A LOT of thought into his role, and it could mean the extra 5% we will need to win some games.

The atmosphere reminded me of Latics 2-0 MK Dons (link), with the sun out and a happy, vibrant atmosphere in the stands.

Jeez, that's the game when we were under the cosh a bit a 1-0 going in to injury time.

Got a bit of possession in their half and the ball fell to Allott. In my desire to retain possession until the final whistle I used my insightful footballing knowledge and screamed "don't shoot" ... seconds later the ball was in the bottom corner of the net and Latics were 2-0 up.

Just looked up the highlights on the BBC and some cracking goals there to feast on! Although that said, how the hell did none of their players track Lee for the third goal? Diabolical defending and long may it continue!

Nice to see the players popping the ball around, good to have a bit of team spirit showing through with the players seemingly keen to celebrate together. I couldn't stand Dickov as a player and I was gutted when we appointed him, but I'm reaching the stage where I may have to reconsider my opinions!

By the way, did anyone read the new Sports Science guy Paul Butler's section in the programme? He has put A LOT of thought into his role, and it could mean the extra 5% we will need to win some games.

yes i read it twice, interesting, alot of hard work and thought has gone in to the fitness, and after-care, shows the discipline brought in to the club as well.

I went the extra mile yesterday and made the game - well worth the effort they were all fantastic. I'd bumped into Furman and Jacobson shopping in Manchester on Friday and, despite obviously being somewhat star-struck, managed to compose myself and wish them luck for the game and season. I hope Furman thought of me when he was celebrating. <_<