"Oldham aren't going to challenge for Promotion"

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hang on, just because we've beaten two sides in the opening two games doesn't mean we will be fighting punch for punch for a promotion spot. Especially when those wins have come against clubs I expect will be bottom half at best. He's right, we won't be fighting for promotion this season. It might not sound nice, but we've not proved nothing yet.

If we beat Sheffield Wednesday, Udders and Southampton this season I may change this tack.

We are statistically better than all of them on paper at the moment though. I think were all enjoying just actually having a side which will fight for the full 90 minutes. Come christmas we'll have a good idea whether we'll be up there, as long as we dont go to the dogs again!

sorry for spelling im on my ipod

Edited by Latics_Fanatic

We are statistically better than all of them on paper at the moment though. I think were all enjoying just actually having a side which will fight for the full 90 minutes. Come christmas we'll have a good idea whether we'll be up there, as long as we dont go to the dogs again!

sorry for spelling im on my ipod

Oh, I'm sure you're right. It's a refreshing new dawn, but Craig Short isn't far wrong by saying we won't be challenging for promotion. This seems to have got everyones knickers in a twist, even though he's pretty correct in what he says, albeit in true bad loser fashion.

Oh, I'm sure you're right. It's a refreshing new dawn, but Craig Short isn't far wrong by saying we won't be challenging for promotion. This seems to have got everyones knickers in a twist, even though he's pretty correct in what he says, albeit in true bad loser fashion.

To be fair, be it Short, Dickov, and us fans have no idea if we will be challenging for promotion. If we did, we'd know the Lottery numbers too.

I think what has got peoples goat is the sore loser aspect. Instead of crediting us, it is all me , me ,me sayng County being so poor ( we made them look like Real Madrid) they were the reason we won. Absuolutely not credit for us.

Craig Short isn't far wrong by saying we won't be challenging for promotion. This seems to have got everyones knickers in a twist, even though he's pretty correct in what he says, albeit in true bad loser fashion.

It's the way its said that makes him sound a complete T**T, Refreshing to know that they won't be gaining 'Promotion'

the point I'm making with this thread is that he's probably right with his statement but at the same time it can only help motivate the team

I think after enduring the pre-summer hype and overexpectation with England it's nice being the underdog once again

Hang on, just because we've beaten two sides in the opening two games doesn't mean we will be fighting punch for punch for a promotion spot. Especially when those wins have come against clubs I expect will be bottom half at best. He's right, we won't be fighting for promotion this season. It might not sound nice, but we've not proved nothing yet.

If we beat Sheffield Wednesday, Udders and Southampton this season I may change this tack.

Just seen the first goal on Laticsplayer. Short says they made us look like Real Madrid. Fair enough. But just for those few passes we did look like Real Madrid. And Notts County might as well have been playing Real Madrid. You can't do anything about quality football like that. Except bad mouth the team that played it, apparently.

Just seen the first goal on Laticsplayer. Short says they made us look like Real Madrid. Fair enough. But just for those few passes we did look like Real Madrid. And Notts County might as well have been playing Real Madrid. You can't do anything about quality football like that. Except bad mouth the team that played it, apparently.

+1

spot on !

Twice in four years the Donkey Lashers have been dismissed as relegation fodder look where they are now! and who tipped Bournemouth to go up last year? Or Southend, Luton, Colchester and Scunny out of this league in recent years? Whilst I agree that it is a longshot - you can never say never. A lot thought we'd struggle in 06/07 yet we made the play-offs, playing in the middle of the season some of the best football we've seen in 15 years. Who knows?

Agreed, if we are still in the top 6 on Nov 1st then (even though it will be early days) there will at least be some weight to our form.

But .... we are better than Real Madrid.

Twice in four years the Donkey Lashers have been dismissed as relegation fodder look where they are now! and who tipped Bournemouth to go up last year? Or Southend, Luton, Colchester and Scunny out of this league in recent years? Whilst I agree that it is a longshot - you can never say never. A lot thought we'd struggle in 06/07 yet we made the play-offs, playing in the middle of the season some of the best football we've seen in 15 years. Who knows?

Exactly! Fair enough, it's likely that we won't be challenging for promotion but to dismiss us (or anyone in this league) completely is wrong. Talk about a sore loser!

We are going to challenge for promotion. I can almost guarantee we will get to the play-off final.

Myself and Jorvik are getting married in Cuba next year. The date was decided ages ago, and while Penney was in charge, so as long as it was later than the start of May, we wouldn't miss anything. Just been having a think today about the play off dates. Guess when we'll be away.....

Nailed on, I tell yers!

We are going to challenge for promotion. I can almost guarantee we will get to the play-off final.

Myself and Jorvik are getting married in Cuba next year. The date was decided ages ago, and while Penney was in charge, so as long as it was later than the start of May, we wouldn't miss anything. Just been having a think today about the play off dates. Guess when we'll be away.....

Nailed on, I tell yers!

Can you get your cats to predict if we will get into the play off final or not? :grin:

(if that was you? :lol: )

If anything gives me optimism about this season it's that we gave both Scunny and Charlton a game, along with outplaying some decent teams in pre-season for what it's worth. I've raised my prediction from relegation battle to mid table, granted it's early day but I feel Dickov will at least get us to beat most of the teams we should be beating.

I think we could be building a Millwall-esque team. Under Jackett's first season they were battling relegation and almost went down. But Jackett formed a hard working team who got results, barely losing at home and picking up good points away. They made it to the playoff final whilst beating Leeds and lost to Scunthorpe then last season they beat Huddersfield (with all their cash) and Swindon. And that's with spending very little (100k on Steven Morrison which to be fair we spent the that much on Furman and Colbeck), and they made some tidy but not really high profile loan signings as well. I think Millwall are a prime example of what a team can achieve even against the big spenders if you have a energetic hard working team. That's why I don't buy the idea that it's currently near impossible for a team like us to challenge for promotion, Millwall proved it, they operated on a budget of most of the lesser teams in this division, could not compete with the big spenders in terms of signings but could more than match those teams on the field.

Young energetic team with a mix of quality = Key to get out of this division.

This season, Dickov will make mistakes, I don't really think we'll be up there. The signs for Dickov are looking good, I reckon next season, if he learns from his mistakes (something Sheridan didn't do in his second season), then we could have a good shout of getting out of here.

If anything gives me optimism about this season it's that we gave both Scunny and Charlton a game, along with outplaying some decent teams in pre-season for what it's worth. I've raised my prediction from relegation battle to mid table, granted it's early day but I feel Dickov will at least get us to beat most of the teams we should be beating.

I think we could be building a Millwall-esque team. Under Jackett's first season they were battling relegation and almost went down. But Jackett formed a hard working team who got results, barely losing at home and picking up good points away. They made it to the playoff final whilst beating Leeds and lost to Scunthorpe then last season they beat Huddersfield (with all their cash) and Swindon. And that's with spending very little (100k on Steven Morrison which to be fair we spent the that much on Furman and Colbeck), and they made some tidy but not really high profile loan signings as well. I think Millwall are a prime example of what a team can achieve even against the big spenders if you have a energetic hard working team. That's why I don't buy the idea that it's currently near impossible for a team like us to challenge for promotion, Millwall proved it, they operated on a budget of most of the lesser teams in this division, could not compete with the big spenders in terms of signings but could more than match those teams on the field.

Young energetic team with a mix of quality = Key to get out of this division.

This season, Dickov will make mistakes, I don't really think we'll be up there. The signs for Dickov are looking good, I reckon next season, if he learns from his mistakes (something Sheridan didn't do in his second season), then we could have a good shout of getting out of here.

Good post man, as for this season never say never. For some reason I have a feeling we will do a lot better than we are expected too. And dont forget some of these players have played together for a while already.

Millwall proved it, they operated on a budget of most of the lesser teams in this division, could not compete with the big spenders in terms of signings but could more than match those teams on the field.

I'm not sure Millwall had such a small budget. This Guardian article suggests annual losses of £4m per year, a lot of which must have gone on the playing side.