Latics 0-1 Shrewsbury (JPT)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Latics fail in a cup competition yet again.

Very much like Sheridan's first few matches in charge, lots of pretty football and no end product. Shrewsbury were no better but took their one and only (half) chance and hit the woodwork twice. We looked marginally better when Tounkare came on, Dikaba looked to be nothing special. Taylor anonymous in the second-half apart from missing our best chance by going Hollywood. We did press a lot more in centre-mid than Saturday but we could have played all night and not scored for me.

Not a witch-hunt - but that's one goal in three games since Taylor returned to the starting line-up and that was a wonder-strike. He did look better in the first-half tonight but as I say poor in the second-half. Smalley did nothing either.

Brill - Not much to do, not sure on the goal will have to see it again

Lee- Hard-working, usual tidy self, missed Jones

Mvoto - Shaky start, improved, won lots of headers

Rubes - Harshly booked, subbed shortly after. I think it was for his own good rather than injury imho

Black - Did ok, a cracking run ended with him shooting straight at their keeper

Smalley - Anonymous for the most part, two efforts on goal

Stephens - Has gone off the boil, needs to regroup. Ok for the most part but he has dipped

Furman - Gradually dropped deeper, hardworking and always willing to win the ball back

Taylor - Did stay wider than previous, did ok in the first half. But has caught the 'Liddell's' (turning back)

Kelly - worked hard, offered little threat

DJ - Same as Kelly

Subs:

McDonald - Did well, didn't look out of place

Tounkara - We looked more of a threat once he came on, he will score goals - will they be enough?

Dikaba - Not sure what the scramble to sign him is about???

What was apparent was that we went from over-passing to hoofing, we looked like we'd run out of patience and ideas by midway through the second half. Only the tinpot trophy I know but that's two goalless games (for us) against supposedly weaker opposition. We need to develop a ruthless streak.

God I hate this tinpot competition!!!!

Edited by oafcprozac

We looked the better team but I agree we wouldn't have scored all night. I don't thnk we had a chance tonight that you felt should/could have gone in. Taylor started out well , faded a bit second half but got some unfair stick at times for not shooting when a shot wasn't really on. Thought we'd win it once Tounkare came on, did some good stuff. Dikaba played alright, some good, some not so. McDonald did better than I thought he would but he is too easily turned.

Overall I thought it was a decent performance that got better as the game went on. Shrewsbury weren't any pushovers and played well and vitally had proper chances on goal of which 1 they took. That was the difference.

Back from game. Mvoto shocker in my opinion.

MVoto had a good game. Our forward line was very very poor, Stephnes and furman both stayed way too deep and never really made any chances for the front men. Bembo is too small to play up front, in fact, I think that he is just too small. Smalley ...get rid. Taylor...try to get rid. We have too many non-league players.

we were matched by shrewsbury and neither team deserved a goal let alone a win. prozac said it but why ditch the passing and hoof it up to two of the smallest strikers in the league?! their defenders had a field day and when we did go and pass it on the floor, we had our best chances of getting a goal. black was bad for me always hoofing up to bembo who would never win a header against their big centre back.

i liked the look of dikaba when he came on, looks fast and sort out his crossing and we could have a decent player to come on as a sub.

overall, poor, ran out of ideas and left the subs of tounkara and dikaba too late. we could have won that tonight, by a goal or two but shrewsbury came with a plan and did it. next year we need an away tie or promotion so we dont have to play in it again!

edit: read that back, a bit to harsh but that was a game we could have won but we've let a win slip that should have been ours

Edited by oafc-latics

MVoto had a good game. Our forward line was very very poor, Stephnes and furman both stayed way too deep and never really made any chances for the front men. Bembo is too small to play up front, in fact, I think that he is just too small. Smalley ...get rid. Taylor...try to get rid. We have too many non-league players.

It's that type of attitude which is at the heart of English footballs problems.

Not too concerned that we are out - good attendance (2.700) - hope Rubes injury not too serious - hopefully Jarrett will be back on Saturday along with Jones - only concern for me is that the middle two have gone off the boil - bring on Saturday.

Very much like Sheridan's first few matches in charge, lots of pretty football and no end product. Shrewsbury were no better but took their one and only (half) chance and hit the woodwork twice. We looked marginally better when Tounkare came on, Dikaba looked to be nothing special. Taylor anonymous in the second-half apart from missing our best chance by going Hollywood. We did press a lot more in centre-mid than Saturday but we could have played all night and not scored for me.

Not a witch-hunt - but that's one goal in three games since Taylor returned to the starting line-up and that was a wonder-strike. He did look better in the first-half tonight but as I say poor in the second-half. Smalley did nothing either.

Brill - Not much to do, not sure on the goal will have to see it again

Lee- Hard-working, usual tidy self, missed Jones

Mvoto - Shaky start, improved, won lots of headers

Rubes - Harshly booked, subbed shortly after. I think it was for his own good rather than injury imho

Black - Did ok, a cracking run anded with him shooting straight at their keeper

Smalley - Anonymous for the most part

Stephens - Has gone off the boil, needs to regroup. Ok for the most part but he has dipped

Furman - Gradually dropped deeper, hardworking and always willing to win the ball back

Taylor - Did stay wider than previous, did ok in the first half. But has caufght the Liddell's (turning back)

Kelly - worked hard, offered little threat

DJ - Same as Kelly

Subs:

McDonald - Did well, didn't look out of place

Tounkara - We looked more of a threat once he came on, he will score goals - will they be enough?

Dikaba - Not sure what the scramble to sign him is about???

What was apparent was that we went from over-passing to hoofing, we looked like we'd run out of patience and ideas by midway through the second half. Only the tinpot trophy I know but that's two goalless games (for us) against supposedly weaker opposition. We need to develop a ruthless streak.

God I hate this tinpot competition!!!!

Pretty much sums it up, overdid the little tip tap passes in the first half without getting anywhere.

We never really looked a threat to goal all night, glad kelly got his chance, but was largely ineffective.

Smalley should be nowhere near a latics shirt at present!

Only a tin pot cup competition but we need to get back on track quickly after two below average performances.

The honeymoon period is over, I think Stephens may now be in danger of losing his place after poor displays on Saturday and tonight, Dickov must now seriously consider playing himself after the lack of threat from of the starting strikers.

Taylor, Smalley continue to exasperate.

And just what was Duxbury doing with sheets of instructions - which only seemed to me to bewilder the players, I thought he was the reserve team manager yet he seems to be calling the shots now from sidelines now.

Brill - 7 A couple of good saves and much improved.

Lee- 8 Worked hard, always willing to attack.

Mvoto - 7 Decent game won most in the air.

Rubes - 7 Solid, was he injured before half time ?

Black - 7 Did ok, but passes back too much, when he does go forward he looks good.

Smalley - 5 Anonymous for the most part

Stephens -6 Looks out of sorts again, may need to be rested.

Furman - 6 Started well then ran out of steam.

Taylor - 6 Did ok first half, but lacked ideas.

Kelly - 6 A lot of running, but no end product.

DJ -6 Neat on the ball, but he is not going to be a prolific goalscorer.

Subs:

McDonald - 6 Ok, but think he may have been caught out on the wrong side of Shrewsburys goalscorer.

Tounkara - 6 Ran about, but again no end product.

Dikaba - 6. Looks like a full back rather than a winger.

Edited by BP1960

Where's the goal threat?

Two fairly tidy sides, but we need a bit more bite up front.

I like all the pretty stuff, but that needs to be turned in to end product now.

More crosses, and more efforts to get on the end of those crosses please.

+1 forget about Dikaba, we need a poacher. None of our strikers are the answer...

taylor and smalley a disgrace to the Latics fans and the whole club.

Not one ounce of effort, ability and common sense of their jobs was shown again tonight.

To both of them - you are :censored: wingers, STAY WIDE, BEAT the man and CROSS!! Not THAT hard!!

If I were Dickov, whilst Lewi is in injured (and he is a shoe in when he comes back to fitness at LW) id have:

Brill

Lee

Hazell

Jarret

JACOBSON

MILLAR

Furman

Jones

Black (at LW - can cross a ball and best a man)

Tounkare

Kelly

Subs: Gerrard, Mvoto, Holdsworth, Dikaba, Stephens, Bembo, Feeney

Dale not on his game these past 2 weeks, think he needs a week out of the side to get himself focused again, need actual width til Lewi is back as Taylor and Smalley should be out of the club for having done :censored: all for the past 12 months.

Kelly has a brain (in football terms) and i think he would link up well with the tank given time.

Give DJ a break and feeney needs to stop playing for NI and get himself fit and settled and doing his job for the club that pays his wages having played 18 games in 18 months!

The urgency has gone, needs changing whilst we are still well placed rather than letting the rot set into players.

Not one ounce of effort, ability and common sense of their jobs was shown again tonight.

To both of them - you are :censored:ing wingers, STAY WIDE, BEAT the man and CROSS!! Not THAT hard!!

If I were Dickov, whilst Lewi is in injured (and he is a shoe in when he comes back to fitness at LW) id have:

Brill

Lee

Hazell

Jarret

JACOBSON

MILLAR

Furman

Jones

Tounkare

Kelly

Dale not on his game these past 2 weeks, think he needs a week out of the side to get himself focused again, need actual width til Lewi is back as Taylor and Smalley should be out of the club for having done :censored: all for the past 12 months.

Kelly has a brain (in football terms) and i think he would link up well with the tank given time.

Give DJ a break and feeney needs to stop playing for NI and get himself fit and settled and doing his job for the club that pays his wages having played 18 games in 18 months!

The urgency has gone, needs changing whilst we are still well placed rather than letting the rot set into players.

thought taylor was one of our better player tonight. should have scored tho!

kelly hasnt impressed me one bit.

To both of them - you are :censored:ing wingers, STAY WIDE, BEAT the man and CROSS!! Not THAT hard!!

Brill

Lee

Hazell

Jarret

JACOBSON

MILLAR

Furman

Jones

Tounkare

Kelly

thought taylor was one of our better player tonight. should have scored tho!

kelly hasnt impressed me one bit.

For me, this was just a continuation of Saturday. Shrewsbury did the same job on us as Yeovil did. Except they looked more threatening. Which is not to say that they had any more posession or periods of pressure, but that they scored one and could well have had three but for the bar in the first 5 mins of the first half and a superb save by Brill in the 2nd.

In the true sense of "it's all about opinions" I don't think we hoofed it anymore than we did on Saturday, contrary to the previous posters. It was much the same over passing laterally and backwards when , several times, a player was making the right run, but was just not seen, or ignored. Lots of pretty little passes but nothing incisive.

Of the individuals, Brill didn't have much to do, but pulled off a great save to prevent a nailed on goal. Mvoto was more miss than hit, looked very nervous on the ball like his last outing. Hazell looked good until his outrageous yellow and subsequent subbing. Lee was decent, as was Black.

Of the midfield, Stephens had his poorest game for a long time - gave it away far too often. Furman his now-usual industrious self. Smalley was dog:censored: - he needs to seriously shape up quickly or he can go. Taylor is STILL on the wrong bloody flank. The only winger I know who doesn't get out wide and cross. He was OK in the 1st but anonymous in the 2nd. Kelly worked hard and had a half decent header go narrowly wide in the first but didn't get much other reward for his efforts. Bembo was average and was rightly subbed.

Which leaves the subs, and I thought they gave us a little more impetus when they came on. McDonald looked calm at the back and put himself about a bit. Whereas Tounkare looked sharp and up for it, as did Dikaba

Overall, very disappointing, despite it being the JPT. I hate losing no matter what the game. We missed Jarrett again and Jones who can't be re-instated soon enough.

Plenty to work on Mr Dickov.......

One word sums the game up - Poor.

We need to shoot on sight, so many times on the edge of the box when we would off shot (especially taylor) they just turned back and messed about trying to get into the box before shooting. Ball was in the air far to much. We either started to hoof it and tried to do more passes then Arsenal.

Brought 3 mates along tonight, two city fans and one dale fan, all were unimpressed by the performance and got very bored.

Shooting practice in training me thinks.

And work on other way of breaking defences down.

Taylor and Smalley - grow some balls!

Taylor stay on the left wing, your not playing centre midfield.

Smalley get running at the defence, you have the pace and skill to go past them easily.

Drop Stephens for a game, looked off pace tonight, needs a rest, bring RJ into centre mid on saturday if he is fit

Brill

Lee

Hazell

Jarret

JACOBSON

MILLAR

Furman

Jones

Tounkare

Kelly

I don't think we should be panicked into making wholesale changes. Little disruptions have had an effect though. The biggest has been the loss of Jarrett for two games. I agree that our attacking urgency has diminished since the impenetrable wingers have returned. I'd go with Tounkare and Kelly on Saturday as for Taylor, i'd give him one more chance on Saturday, then its the stiffs for a good long spell...

For me, this was just a continuation of Saturday. Shrewsbury did the same job on us as Yeovil did. Except they looked more threatening. Which is not to say that they had any more posession or periods of pressure, but that they scored one and could well have had three but for the bar in the first 5 mins of the first half and a superb save by Brill in the 2nd.

In the true sense of "it's all about opinions" I don't think we hoofed it anymore than we did on Saturday, contrary to the previous posters. It was much the same over passing laterally and backwards when , several times, a player was making the right run, but was just not seen, or ignored. Lots of pretty little passes but nothing incisive.

Of the individuals, Brill didn't have much to do, but pulled off a great save to prevent a nailed on goal. Mvoto was more miss than hit, looked very nervous on the ball like his last outing. Hazell looked good until his outrageous yellow and subsequent subbing. Lee was decent, as was Black.

Of the midfield, Stephens had his poorest game for a long time - gave it away far too often. Furman his now-usual industrious self. Smalley was dog:censored: - he needs to seriously shape up quickly or he can go. Taylor is STILL on the wrong bloody flank. The only winger I know who doesn't get out wide and cross. He was OK in the 1st but anonymous in the 2nd. Kelly worked hard and had a half decent header go narrowly wide in the first but didn't get much other reward for his efforts. Bembo was average and was rightly subbed.

Which leaves the subs, and I thought they gave us a little more impetus when they came on. McDonald looked calm at the back and put himself about a bit. Whereas Tounkare looked sharp and up for it, as did Dikaba

Overall, very disappointing, despite it being the JPT. I hate losing no matter what the game. We missed Jarrett again and Jones who can't be re-instated soon enough.

Plenty to work on Mr Dickov.......

couldnt have said it better