Dean Smalley

I dont know if this is just me so feel free to shoot me down if you have a strong defence of the guy but................ what's the matter with him because I reckon he either doesn't have the ability or the desire to stay a professional footballer. Mark my words the guy will be a postman or something in 12 months unless he grows a backbone. Another softarse performance tonight capped when the ball was bouncing about in their box going from head to head and he stood 5 yards back too scared to get in there.

Frustrates the hell out of me!

Had chances off several managers........ get rid for me! :ranting:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know if this is just me so feel free to shoot me down if you have a strong defence of the guy but................ what's the matter with him because I reckon he either doesn't have the ability or the desire to stay a professional footballer. Mark my words the guy will be a postman or something in 12 months unless he grows a backbone. Another softarse performance tonight capped when the ball was bouncing about in their box going from head to head and he stood 5 yards back too scared to get in there.

Frustrates the hell out of me!

Had chances off several managers........ get rid for me! :ranting:

He should have been released at the end of 08/09...Royle called him an 'enigma'. I prefer gutless wonder.. the Main Stand actually clapped his contribution when warming down, I was too embarassed to join in. Typical Latics fans, celebrating mediocrity...

Could it be the fact that furman has kept him out too and he is having to work to get back into a side that we all possible thought he should walk in to?

Furman has been a revelation so far this season and I think has raised a few eyebrows of us fans were we all thought he would fade away into oblivion and fair credit to him, he hasn't he has fought for his place and so far, has kept it too

Am sure Smalley started as a striker in the youth and reserve with alessandra? Both being prolific...

Yeah they did, Sheridan took him onto the wing and then Alessandra went onto the wing this season, but he has looked better in the 3 games we've seen him than the 50+ games we've seen smalley!

Can't be arsed re-writing what I've put on my Facebook...so a copy and paste of it...

"Bright point - we were spared penalties...Someone please show Deane Smalley the door though...times up!"

<in reply to a comment on my status>

I've been one to defend Smalley for a good while now. It's not as though I haven't seen what yourself (and some mates I've argued Smalleys case against) have seen. It's just that I've seen his abilities at Leeds away, Luton away, Everton away, Colchester at home etc...the lad has ability. He also had Matty Wolfenden syndrome. Not given a proper run at it...stop start, sub appearances. Last season was his first proper chance, he never took it.

Thing is, the ability's been there to a point but he's gone backwards. It can't be confidence as this season, under Dickov and the wave of siege mentality should have the side right up for it. For those on the sidelines of the first team, they should be busting a gut further. Smalley isn't...and by all accounts, he was gash last week in a friendly and tonight was bemusing. People can say, but this is our level and he's the type we need around but that tonight wouldn't have been fit for Glossop North End...let alone Latics in the JPT. His runs lack any sign of intelligence, when he got the ball he passed it back as fast as possible to the nearest man as he didn't want it. When he got some space and everyone expected him to run into it, he didn't. He'd just mince about and go into blind alleys.

We may have to rely on him later this season (as others from the side tonight) and that really is reality of the situation biting. What faces us ahead this season...worryingly though, if it's Smalley we're counting on to pull us out of the :censored: then last season showed we're in dire trouble. That Dikabe was more effectively in his 1st 5 minutes than anything he did all night. One wanted it...the other didn't. The door's open...

Edited by boundaryblue80

I've put on a another thread that you can't expect a performance from a tampax player. When Smalley has played well it has been when he has a had a bit of a run, same as most players. 10 minutes here, half a game there is never going to get the best out of someone.

As has been said, the window is shut now so he is here until January at least unless someone loans him. We can either boo his every touch and hound him out of the club or cut a bit of slack while the whole team/ squad gels and see where that gets us.

I've put on a another thread that you can't expect a performance from a tampax player. When Smalley has played well it has been when he has a had a bit of a run, same as most players. 10 minutes here, half a game there is never going to get the best out of someone.

As has been said, the window is shut now so he is here until January at least unless someone loans him. We can either boo his every touch and hound him out of the club or cut a bit of slack while the whole team/ squad gels and see where that gets us.

This is where up until last season, I was agreeing. But he got his run last season and failed badly. Stephens is the example Smalley has never followed. I don't want anyone to boo any player (if someone can ever show me where booing a side or player has ever been a success then I'll be amazed) but we need to loan him out and let him go when the next chance comes. However, maybe loaning him out might be the kick in the arse the lad needs...he might wake up and realise he could be a postie, a dustbin man or a factory shopfloor worker where the graft is a damn sight harder than training every now and then and rarely putting in a shift when he gets the chance.

It's Wolfenden syndrome all over again...another potential talent that never realises and takes their opportunity.

This is where up until last season, I was agreeing. But he got his run last season and failed badly. Stephens is the example Smalley has never followed. I don't want anyone to boo any player (if someone can ever show me where booing a side or player has ever been a success then I'll be amazed) but we need to loan him out and let him go when the next chance comes. However, maybe loaning him out might be the kick in the arse the lad needs...he might wake up and realise he could be a postie, a dustbin man or a factory shopfloor worker where the graft is a damn sight harder than training every now and then and rarely putting in a shift when he gets the chance.

It's Wolfenden syndrome all over again...another potential talent that never realises and takes their opportunity.

The only one i can think of is Eboue at Arsenal. Fans were sick of him and his performances and when he was booed off he started crying.. Now the same fans love him and he always puts the effort in that he seemed to lack prior

The only one i can think of is Eboue at Arsenal. Fans were sick of him and his performances and when he was booed off he started crying.. Now the same fans love him and he always puts the effort in that he seemed to lack prior

Hadn't heard of that one...as I say, I'm amazed. A rarity...

Yeah they did, Sheridan took him onto the wing and then Alessandra went onto the wing this season, but he has looked better in the 3 games we've seen him than the 50+ games we've seen smalley!

Big,big, difference is that Alessandra has a football brain, not sure if Smalley has a brain at all at times.

Big,big, difference is that Alessandra has a football brain, not sure if Smalley has a brain at all at times.

So that's 2 players out of 92 league clubs.

Well, that's convinced me, booing is the way forward to getting players to do well, you can keep your pasta and your fancy dan coaching methods.

Feckin BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

To be fair, whether people boo Smalley or not, he will end up at Stalybridge.

Fill yer boots.