Dean Smalley

Nothing like giving Dickov and the players time! If Smalley was guff Dickov would have put him up for transfer. Hes been injured give the lad a run in the side at least. Blimey we have just started the season who gives two about JPT. Its survival that matters this season and we have had an unbeaten start better by miles than i expected so lets cut the booing please!!!!! Does the players no good AT ALL!!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to be honest i think thats quite harsh, from what I saw he was trying, and at times looked lively to me, I think its lack of first team games that is making him like this and the fact hes still young, just because he has been in and around the setup for a while doesnt mean hes fully experienced, I think he needs to keep going, if you get frustrated by these mistakes from young players youre going to get frustrated a lot! he did make a lot of runs and it was clear that the overlap system was in place, give him n taylor a bit more time on the ball and i think they will produce more, need someone to set them free or get them a bit faster and they should be fine

I've posted on here frequently, that Smalley lacks the football brain of a professional footballer. He simply doesn't seem to be able to understand where he should position himself, and frequently plays the wrong ball. I honestly believe that he has the talent, and he physically built himself up last season, but some things just can't be coached into a player...

I've posted on here frequently, that Smalley lacks the football brain of a professional footballer. He simply doesn't seem to be able to understand where he should position himself, and frequently plays the wrong ball. I honestly believe that he has the talent, and he physically built himself up last season, but some things just can't be coached into a player...

Like a bit of courage.....get yourself in where it hurts!

All this give him time.....jesus, how long should we give him?........Don't let the door hit you on your arse on the way out!!

Like a bit of courage.....get yourself in where it hurts!

All this give him time.....jesus, how long should we give him?........Don't let the door hit you on your arse on the way out!!

but hes only young? it worries me that fans see enough of a player before he reaches 22! yes I say give him time, if he was a seasoned professional id get rid by now but not much of experience in him to see the finished product, and in general looking back at his time with the first team hes put in some fairly decent performances! were not going to get anyone better at this level really with our budget, and hes got time to improve which im sure he will

also on that note, we should be saying that to a fair few of the people in the first team now, youngsters aside, all have given their fair share of dodgy performances! we got rid of all of them we would be left with just the youngsters, who, if not superstars by the age of 22 would be out aswell!

but hes only young? it worries me that fans see enough of a player before he reaches 22! yes I say give him time, if he was a seasoned professional id get rid by now but not much of experience in him to see the finished product, and in general looking back at his time with the first team hes put in some fairly decent performances! were not going to get anyone better at this level really with our budget, and hes got time to improve which im sure he will

I've gotta disagree there, he's been ineffective for a couple of seasons now. It's not like he's 17-18, he's been around for a while now and should be showing some improvement to encourage us.

IMO he doesn't have the heart or desire.

also on that note, we should be saying that to a fair few of the people in the first team now, youngsters aside, all have given their fair share of dodgy performances! we got rid of all of them we would be left with just the youngsters, who, if not superstars by the age of 22 would be out aswell!

The likes of Lee and Stephens and even Allesandra of late have shown improvement and if smalley was progressing I would agree with you. However weve been waiting and waiting for him to fulfill this potential and he hasn't done it and we can't wait forever. He needs an end product at some point and to stop running down blind alleys and culde sacs. I don't believe in booing and yelling and all that he's not a pantomine villain and I'm not a chav. But his contract is up at the end of this season we are fairly strong in the middle of the park so as things stand time is ticking for him and Bower fold is calling.

ye ok fair points, I dont think hes not got the heart and desire, maybe hes not got the right mindframe but id say the passion is definately there, I think wait till the end of the season at least, or make our minds up after hes had a good run with the first team, this will tell us how much hes improved, because, for all the training you do, theres nothing like first team experience, so say 4 or 5 game run in first team and see if theres any improvement from there, although with our midfield i fear he may not get that first team run out to show definitively wether hes good or not.

I've gotta disagree there, he's been ineffective for a couple of seasons now. It's not like he's 17-18, he's been around for a while now and should be showing some improvement to encourage us.

IMO he doesn't have the heart or desire.

I agree. The lad has played more than double the amount of pro games than the likes of Lee, Stephens, Black and Lewi who are all around the same age. You can clearly see progress with these players but with Smalley he has gone backwards since his games against Everton away and Stockport at home 2 years ago.

I was chuffed when we signed him up on a 3 year deal but its like he has just sat on it and not improved. Unless he pulls his finger out fast his contract wont be renewed at the end of the season

smalley started off well, won a couple of headers on goal when he drifted in from the wing into the box. but when he's on the wing with the ball at his feet, he (and taylor) always look to pass it back and not have a run at the defence which gave time for their defenders to come back. when dikaba came on, his crossing wasn't great, but he looked to have a run and put a cross in or win a corner.

if there is anyone to teach taylor and smalley risk losing the ball or getting clattered in the chance of winning a corner or putting a cross in, it's paul dickov. i'd like to see them given a chane in the team with the fans behind them to make them into the players we all know they can be but until they start growing a pair, we will still be a team with wingers that don't want to be wingers

It’s a quandary isn’t it; the fall from grace of both of our flying wingers? Both of them have IMO gone backwards over the last season and half. Taylor & Smalley both look pale imitations of their former selves; lacking fitness; form; confidence and talent to be honest.

And the next step is a difficult one; as both of them on current form really shouldn’t be in the side. So it’s either:

(a..) Drop them from the side; take them out of the 1st team and use the reserve team to get them games “away from the spotlight” as such. Lewis & Jonesy have looked by far the better options on the flanks; and last night little cameo from ‘Rodders’ showed he’d be a decent bet on the right of midfield too. Young Kirk Millar would be a better bet on his high energy showings to date too. If they get games in the reserves under their belt; hopefully with the confidence of a few good performances & goals under their belts; they can come back into the squad and push for a starting place all the better for the renewed confidence & form.

(b..) Keep them in the side and hope that 1st team games will eventually mean they’ll both click back into form; playing themselves back to form as you will.

For me; both have been so poor on their showings so far this season that i’m personally loath to go down option (b..) as they’re weakening the side by being in it and playing so poorly.

Deane; on current form & attitude, runs the very real risk of leaving the club at the end of the season; not for a big move; but for a non renewal of his contract. Taylor needs to recapture his ‘purple patch’ form consistently if he is to continue to be an Oldham Athletic footballer; otherwise the door beckons for him too; and that won’t be via for a big fee move either.

Edited by slystallone

It’s a quandary isn’t it; the fall from grace of both of our flying wingers? Both of them have IMO gone backwards over the last season and half. Taylor & Smalley both look pale imitations of their former selves; lacking fitness; form; confidence and talent to be honest.

And the next step is a difficult one; as both of them on current form really shouldn’t be in the side. So it’s either:

(a..) Drop them from the side; take them out of the 1st team and use the reserve team to get them games “away from the spotlight” as such. Lewis & Jonesy have looked by far the better options on the flanks; and last night little cameo from ‘Rodders’ showed he’d be a decent bet on the right of midfield too. Young Kirk Millar would be a better bet on his high energy showings to date too. If they get games in the reserves under their belt; hopefully with the confidence of a few good performances & goals under their belts; they can come back into the squad and push for a starting place all the better for the renewed confidence & form.

(b..) Keep them in the side and hope that 1st team games will eventually mean they’ll both click back into form; playing themselves back to form as you will.

For me; both have been so poor on their showings so far this season that i’m personally loath to go down option (B) as they’re weakening the side by being in it and playing so poorly.

Deane; on current form & attitude, runs the very real risk of leaving the club at the end of the season; not for a big move; but for a non renewal of his contract. Taylor needs to recapture his ‘purple patch’ form consistently if he is to continue to be an Oldham Athletic footballer; otherwise the door beckons for him too; and that won’t be via for a big fee move either.

its a strange one for sure....why would a winger not want to run and take on people and fire crosses in????

we started this season very brightly with decent games against trampmere notts county n charlton...then we had to change it...and since we have gone back to looking like last years team of clueless players not able to hit a barn door.....

the only conclusion you could say is since taylor came in we havent looked the same....but to be honest you shouldnt really look to pin the blame on one player...but his whole body language and mindset is wrong....smalley is the same,you may get one absolute barnstorming game from him when he is totally unplayable,full of energy and enterprise firing crosses in taking on defenders winning free kicks and that...then nothing for the next 6 or 7 games.....

ye ok fair points, I dont think hes not got the heart and desire, maybe hes not got the right mindframe but id say the passion is definately there, I think wait till the end of the season at least, or make our minds up after hes had a good run with the first team, this will tell us how much hes improved, because, for all the training you do, theres nothing like first team experience, so say 4 or 5 game run in first team and see if theres any improvement from there, although with our midfield i fear he may not get that first team run out to show definitively wether hes good or not.

I cant honestly see him getting 4 or 5 games if he carries on like last night. Dickov has just listed players for not showing the desired heart for it. Smalley is no better than those players in my eyes, if it was up to me I would get rid now he's had more chances than most.