Roughyeds to Make it 4th Time Lucky?

This sunday sees the Oldham Roughyeds taking on York City Knights in Championship One Grand Final. It'll be the fourth time in a row Oldham will have got to this stage, hopefully this time they can do it!

The game is at The Halliwell Jones Stadium in Warrington this Sunday with a 3pm kick-off. The game will also be shown live on Sky Sports 3.

Know there's quite a bit of anti-egg chasing on here but it'll be great for the town if they can finally do it!

This sunday sees the Oldham Roughyeds taking on York City Knights in Championship One Grand Final. It'll be the fourth time in a row Oldham will have got to this stage, hopefully this time they can do it!

The game is at The Halliwell Jones Stadium in Warrington this Sunday with a 3pm kick-off. The game will also be shown live on Sky Sports 3.

Know there's quite a bit of anti-egg chasing on here but it'll be great for the town if they can finally do it!

Yeah rooting for them big-time, they've had a couple of close games with York but should finally gain promotion this time round. Any sporting success is great for the town. I used to follow them home and away until Quinn and the council stole Watersheddings with a procession of false promises. For me professional Rugby died in the town and it was never the same after the move to BP.

Been to the Whitebank a few times and they've got a good little set up there and the chance to rebuild the club on their own terms. I'd go more often but I can't stand Hamilton after having several run ins with him in his early days as Chairman. Found myself going to Knowsley Road more and more and now class myself more of a Saints fan and little more than Oldham well-wisher from afar these days. Sad really but there's a lot like me who had the heart ripped out of their club, then watched as the council and ex-chairman allowed it to wither and die, despite it competing at the top-level.

Havent followed Roughyeds this season, but I'll be watching Sunday. Are they Favourites to win Sunday??

Same here, went quite a bit when it was at BP but haven't found the time since. Will defo be watching Sunday though! From what i hear i think the Roughyeds are slight favourites, though not by much. Fingers crossed its fourth time lucky!

Edited by Oafc88

Could someone help me out? If Oldham Egg Chasing Division win on Sunday will they be in the SuperLeague? And should we get them back into BP, could offer up money for grounds keeping when they've already had best home and away attendance this season and Leeds + Salford will be coming round with fans.

Could someone help me out? If Oldham Egg Chasing Division win on Sunday will they be in the SuperLeague? And should we get them back into BP, could offer up money for grounds keeping when they've already had best home and away attendance this season and Leeds + Salford will be coming round with fans.

No they'll be in the Rugby League Championship, (the division below SL), the only way to gain Promotion is to gain a license (Franchise in effect), these are up for application once every four years, (Next up for renewal in 2011). The licenses have made a mockery of the sport as the minnows have little to aspire to now whilst the RFL throw money at areas that have little interest in the sport, whilst leaving the once RL hotbeds to rot. To not have a Cumbrian club in SL is a joke imo. As is the fact that Widnes were refused a licence. When you look at theirs and Leigh's set-ups, what more do they have to do?

Back to Oldham, they're a long way from a SL licence application - one of the criteria is to have won a Championship Grand Final at least once, so promotion this year would be the beginning of a very long road. Despite my disaffection I would love the club to enjoy some success.

Edited by oafcprozac

I'd like them to get promoted but I find it hard to take an interest whilst hamilton is there.

I know a few people who have had dealings with him and they all confirm he is the kn*b that he seems to be when moaning all the time in the chron.

I've heard a consortium might buy the club off Hamilton.

I don't agree with the licences, just makes the big clubs bigger and the smaller clubs even closer to oblivion. It's hardly a competition anymore.

Be great though to be playing better opposition like Leigh and Widnes etc. Hope they can do it and who knows sport success in towns tend to happen at the same time. Roughyeds win promotion, Latics win promotion also?

I'm sure I speak for the vast majority of latics fans in wishing the Roughyeds the best of luck on Sunday.

No idea why the Roughyeds are so bitter towards Latics, I've been brought up to follow both sports and used to watch Latics on the Saturday, Rugby on a Sunday. I've met very few Latics fans that bear any ill will towards our egg-chasing cousins, yet the RL community in OLdham seem to take great delight in any Latics hardship. This town is very hard to fathom at times.

Populated by many bitter and twisted dinosaurs that have contributed to it (the town) withering and dying.

Best of luck Roughyeds, we'll be cheering you on from home on Sunday.

Edited by oafcprozac

Poor first half from Oldham, really. Not looking good.

What a pisspoor performance, they gave up after going 12-4 down. Worst performance in the four defeats so far. TBH they would have been ill equipped for Championship rugby with the fact that their budget would be one of the lowest in the league. Benson's done well as a coach but perhaps time for fresh impetus.

Hopefully Wigan will own that record outright come 8 o'clock on Saturday :grin:

Will it sell out ? I know that this game is the SL game that, along with Bratfud - Leeds, tends to be the highest attended, but will they fill 75k ? Just interested to know.

SL attendances seem to be down this year.

Will it sell out ? I know that this game is the SL game that, along with Bratfud - Leeds, tends to be the highest attended, but will they fill 75k ? Just interested to know.

SL attendances seem to be down this year. No relegation doesn't help Play off attendances were poor too

The record attendance was 72,582 for Saints v Hull in 2006, since then it has dropped to just over 63,000 last season. The RFL have had to take on extra staff to cope with demand for what I think will be the biggest final ever. I went to my first GF in 2002 Saints/Bradford and the attendance that night was 'only' about 61,000 so the final attendances are still very healthy. You have to bear in mind lots of neutrals go to RL finals, so perhaps the RL public were getting a bit bored by Saints/Leeds III !!! First one in '07 was 71K, '08 69k, '07 63k, I even gave it a miss preferring to go and watch Latics at The Valley.

Saturday will sell out no danger capacity for SL GF is just under 73k due to the big screen taking a big chunk up. Bradford/Leeds attendance have been around 65k. Like it or not Saints are big box office and given the fact Wigan have gone a few years without a trophy it'll be sold out without a doubt. Really looking forward to it.

Edited by oafcprozac