Oldham host City Legends day

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'll get my grandson to borrow his friend's dad's City season ticket and give it to one of my sons so he can get in for a tenner instead of paying £20.

Daft isn't it - but you can bet your life that that's more likely to happen than a City fan wanting to come.

Watching football at this level is about tradition and passion for YOUR club.

I don't want anything to do with Citeh anywhere near my club.

PD out?

Its success depends on how much City get behind it, if they publicise it on their website/in their programme then we might get a fair few along. If it's not publicised and just a few Latics fans telling their mates to come to the game then it will barely make a difference. Hopefully the club try and push City into letting their fans know about it though and hopefully they go along with it.

Whichever way, if we do get a few in it will only be a one off...I'm sure many will take the opportunity to embarrass themselves with anti-City songs.

Their money is as good as anyone else's.

They get slated for sitting back and doing nothing and slated when they try something. The joys of running a football club.

It's not a matter of slating the club but if you are going to go for initiatives, at least think about what you are trying to achieve. A 'one-off' initiative aimed at Manchester City season ticket holders - how is that going to gain new supporters or entice the stay-awayers? And what does that say to existing supporters being asked to pay full price when these one-offs are being allowed in at a reduced price?

The one thing you can say about the Latics is that we are consistent in our own-goal mentality.

It's not a matter of slating the club but if you are going to go for initiatives, at least think about what you are trying to achieve. A 'one-off' initiative aimed at Manchester City season ticket holders - how is that going to gain new supporters or entice the stay-awayers? And what does that say to existing supporters being asked to pay full price when these one-offs are being allowed in at a reduced price?

The one thing you can say about the Latics is that we are consistent in our own-goal mentality.

Bringing people in on a one-off to a match they otherwise wouldn't attend is not an 'own-goal'. They're seizing an opportunity to make a bit of extra money, City fans wouldn't be going to the game otherwise anyway.

The club can use schemes to attract people long-term and also on one-offs. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Some people will look for any excuse to have a pop.

Bringing people in on a one-off to a match they otherwise wouldn't attend is not an 'own-goal'. They're seizing an opportunity to make a bit of extra money, City fans wouldn't be going to the game otherwise anyway.

The club can use schemes to attract people long-term and also on one-offs. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

I'm sorry that my views are interpreted as 'having a pop' - that certainly isn't what I'm about. I just doubt whether the take up on this scheme would be worth the effort but if I'm proved wrong, then I'll admit my misjudgement.

The good thing is that the club will be able to monitor the take-up and then publish the result so we can all see - only thing though is that it won't distinguish the real City supporter from the 'borrowed' one.

:applause1:

On this point; exactly.

If a Peter Reid Vs Paul Dickov match-up in the dugouts can bring in a 100 or so more people through the gates; then why not bill it a a City Legends day & use our recently rich neighbours to try & promote it?

It’s hardly like they could do similar promotion for say; Southampton’s visit is it? Come on down to BP Man Utd fans & those fans of Physio’s-turned-managers to watch Nigel Adkins side take on Latics.....?????? Doesn't have the same ring to it does it?

Might as well make use of the opportunity whilst it’s there. If i’m honest; I don’t see that many Citeh fans taking up the offer but if you don’t try then you’ll never know.

Edited by slystallone

Ugh, this leaves a bad taste in my mouth but I suppose it's something the club has to try in order to boost the attendance of what will be a poorly attended match.

But wouldn't it be typical Latics if it wasn't advertised anywhere around Man Citeh's upcoming home games or in their match programme!

i can see this being a sucess. with man city playing wolves away and it not being on tv i can see city fans just coming to see a game of football instead of doing nothing.

I hope so its known fact that Mary Dees pub next to Eastlands shows all City games home and away on one of these overseas channels.

However against Bristol Rovers there where 2 city fans in the chaddy one with Dickov on the back, if that money helps us sign a decent player or keeps the club going i am prepared to play ball not saying i approve of it just being realistic.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...2177393,00.html

Man City fans you lucky lucky buggers your season just gets better and better :lol:

With my dad and my sister being citeh season ticket holders this means i'll be using their season tickets to my benefit for this game. could be seen as dishonest but its so expensive to come and watch the footie these days

With my dad and my sister being citeh season ticket holders this means i'll be using their season tickets to my benefit for this game. could be seen as dishonest but its so expensive to come and watch the footie these days

Not really as its an extra £10 they wouldnt have had

Not if it's being used instead of paying the £20 admission price - by my reckoning that's a loss.

But a real Latics fan wouldn't do that - would they ?????

but the way Scotty explained it is that he wouldnt go for £20 but he is going with the City ST and paying £10 , therfore its an additional £10 in my eyes

Edited by razza699

Ugh, this leaves a bad taste in my mouth but I suppose it's something the club has to try in order to boost the attendance of what will be a poorly attended match.

But wouldn't it be typical Latics if it wasn't advertised anywhere around Man Citeh's upcoming home games or in their match programme!

Where do we think all the extra fans came from in the late 80s and early? Don't forget when we were on the up United and City were :censored:! In the late 80s the entertainment was superb at BP even before the cup runs and promotion. There were goals aplenty and Piccadilly and GMR really went to town on us urging floaters to get down to BP for some 'proper' entertainment. Tommy Docherty was our number one fan around this time, If this is what it takes to boost crowds and regenerate interest I'll grudgingly take it as long as the Manc Twats don't sit next to me! ;-)

Let's just hope the Mancs don't start singing 'Citeh Citeh Citeh Citeh!.' That's me out of there if they do.

Makes me feel sick, evidence if needed of what a tragic little club we are. Hadn't even thought of the possibility of above...I couldn't handle that.

Makes me feel sick, evidence if needed of what a tragic little club we are. Hadn't even thought of the possibility of above...I couldn't handle that.

no harm in making or trying to make it a extra people in day...the one thing i would be issed at if i was a season ticket holder,is that they would get in even cheaper than our season ticket holders..

like i say im of the opinion if i was a season ticket holder,ive already paid so i dont mind,but i bet there are plenty who will.

the only sad thing about it is that we will bend over backwards trying to get extra fans in for a one off occasion,but we cant do it an a weekly or fortnighly basis to try and get our own fans back,thats a bit dissapointing really.