I would have walked away - Corney

I would have walked away — Corney

Reporter: Matthew Chambers

Date online: 14 October 2010

CHAIRMAN Simon Corney has revealed that he would no longer be at Athletic had the team’s fortunes not picked up so dramatically.

Last season under then-manager Dave Penney — linked recently to vacancies at Lincoln City, York and Hibs — Athletic limped over the line to finish 16th and avoid relegation by two points, scoring at a rate of less than a goal-a-game at Boundary Park in a turgid campaign.

Since the surprise arrival of Paul Dickov in the summer, the club as a whole has found a new energy.

While the lack of fans coming through the gates continues to be a big concern in the context of the club’s precarious finances, the product on the pitch has been vibrant even despite the slashing of the wage budget.

Corney is the last remaining member of the trio of New York-based businessmen who bought the club in 2004, following the withdrawal of financial support from major shareholders Simon Blitz and Danny Gazal before the start of this season.

And he says that the team’s upturn in fortune — ahead of the home game against Colchester on Saturday, Athletic sit seventh in League One — has persuaded him to stick with the project.

“If this season had been another like last season, then I would have followed Simon (Blitz) and Danny (Gazal) out of the door,” said Corney, who was present to watch the 3-1 win at Brentford last week.

“The manager is great to work with.

“You can see the effect on the pitch and I am the same as any other fan — when the team is really putting in the effort, then I am happy.

“It makes it all worthwhile.

“The way in which the players who were here last season have improved so much pretty much tells its own story.

“It shows the value of man management, which is so important.

“In six-and-a-half years, I have seen the team recover from being a goal down to win three times. And two of those occasions have happened this season.

“It is an indication of the lads’ effort and hunger and it is a big testament to the work being done by the management team.”

Bournemouth showed in their achievement of promotion from League Two last season just what can be done by a club facing severe financial constraints.

Corney, though, is playing with a straight bat when it comes to excited talk about the possibility of Athletic landing a play-off place in a long, tough season.

“It is early days and Paul (Dickov) would be the first one to remind people of that,” he added.

“I am a bit of a realist. While promotion through the play-offs is something I believe the manager thinks we are capable of, you have to look back at where we finished last season.

“Anything of an improvement on that would represent progress.”

While stating that the club has had to find money without Blitz and Gazal to get through to the end of the current season, he warned that without the help of outside investment the prospect of the club entering administration could not be totally ruled out.

“You can never say never,” the chairman said. “But it really would be the last thing that we want to happen.

Maybe it's time a few woke up to what is happening at our club...

Edited by oafcprozac

“In six-and-a-half years, I have seen the team recover from being a goal down to win three times. And two of those occasions have happened this season.

that's the bit that stands out for me. what an awful record to have and in 2 months, dickov has already tripled that figure.

that's the bit that stands out for me. what an awful record to have and in 2 months, dickov has already tripled that figure.

But it's Bollocks mate! Took over in Feb '04, came from behind:-

Walsall

Stoke (LC)

Accrington (LDV)

Barnsley

Bin Dippers (LDV) (Won on pens)

Blackpool

Accrington (A) LDV

Crewe

Donny (FAC)

Millwall (A)

Gillingham

Millwall

Southend

Walsall

Bournemouth

Brentford

13 of those games we conceded the first goal and were behind in all of them - so in all comps Mr. Corney that's 16 games...

Walsall

Stoke (LC)

Accrington (LDV)

Barnsley

Blackpool

Accrington (A) LDV

Crewe

Donny (FAC)

Millwall (A)

Gillingham

Millwall

Southend

Walsall

Bournemouth

Brentford

13 of those games we conceded the first goal and were behind in all of them - so in all comps Mr. Corney that's 16 games...

Maybe he did not see every game?

Walsall

Stoke (LC)

Accrington (LDV)

Barnsley

Blackpool

Accrington (A) LDV

Crewe

Donny (FAC)

Millwall (A)

Gillingham

Millwall

Southend

Walsall

Bournemouth

Brentford

when you put it like that... :lol:

how can you confuse 3 with 16? maybe its that he's only seen it happen 3 times personally

Walsall

Stoke (LC)

Accrington (LDV)

Barnsley

Blackpool

Accrington (A) LDV

Crewe

Donny (FAC)

Millwall (A)

Gillingham

Millwall

Southend

Walsall

Bournemouth

Brentford

That "he's seen".

I would have walked away — Corney

Reporter: Matthew Chambers

Date online: 14 October 2010

CHAIRMAN Simon Corney has revealed that he would no longer be at Athletic had the team’s fortunes not picked up so dramatically.

Last season under then-manager Dave Penney — linked recently to vacancies at Lincoln City, York and Hibs — Athletic limped over the line to finish 16th and avoid relegation by two points, scoring at a rate of less than a goal-a-game at Boundary Park in a turgid campaign.

Since the surprise arrival of Paul Dickov in the summer, the club as a whole has found a new energy.

While the lack of fans coming through the gates continues to be a big concern in the context of the club’s precarious finances, the product on the pitch has been vibrant even despite the slashing of the wage budget.

Corney is the last remaining member of the trio of New York-based businessmen who bought the club in 2004, following the withdrawal of financial support from major shareholders Simon Blitz and Danny Gazal before the start of this season.

And he says that the team’s upturn in fortune — ahead of the home game against Colchester on Saturday, Athletic sit seventh in League One — has persuaded him to stick with the project.

“If this season had been another like last season, then I would have followed Simon (Blitz) and Danny (Gazal) out of the door,” said Corney, who was present to watch the 3-1 win at Brentford last week.

“The manager is great to work with.

“You can see the effect on the pitch and I am the same as any other fan — when the team is really putting in the effort, then I am happy.

“It makes it all worthwhile.

“The way in which the players who were here last season have improved so much pretty much tells its own story.

“It shows the value of man management, which is so important.

“It is an indication of the lads’ effort and hunger and it is a big testament to the work being done by the management team.”

Bournemouth showed in their achievement of promotion from League Two last season just what can be done by a club facing severe financial constraints.

Corney, though, is playing with a straight bat when it comes to excited talk about the possibility of Athletic landing a play-off place in a long, tough season.

“It is early days and Paul (Dickov) would be the first one to remind people of that,” he added.

“I am a bit of a realist. While promotion through the play-offs is something I believe the manager thinks we are capable of, you have to look back at where we finished last season.

“Anything of an improvement on that would represent progress.”

While stating that the club has had to find money without Blitz and Gazal to get through to the end of the current season, he warned that without the help of outside investment the prospect of the club entering administration could not be totally ruled out.

“You can never say never,” the chairman said. “But it really would be the last thing that we want to happen.]

Maybe it's time a few woke up to what is happening at our club...

In other words if the club drops into the relegation zone in the second half of the season he is off.

In other words if the club drops into the relegation zone in the second half of the season he is off.

Only if it's turgid. I wish this incessant knocking would stop - what do you think is the likeliest outcome if this is what he hears when being honest?

Only if it's turgid. I wish this incessant knocking would stop - what do you think is the likeliest outcome if this is what he hears when being honest?

Maybe it's the way I read it but the article appeared contradictory in parts to me, things can change quickly in football and I do admire him though for battling on when the others went.

Edited by BP1960

Dreary me i can't actually believe there is still people out there who believe this hasn't been one long-winded drawn out game.The endgame is nearing its conclusion.The 3 fellows took a gamble on the running of a football club with the insurance of a very attractive plot of land if the football side of things didn't work out.The football side of things hasn't worked out and exit strategy is 2/3rds complete.

Im really glad i was old enough to enjoy the 80's and 90's at BP,i had the 'bug' in the early 80's right through to the 90's,yes we were average (at first)under Royle but there was a buzz in going to BP,nowadays im afraid there is no comparison,in part i blame the cock who instigated all seater stadia,it killed the atmopshere at BP stone dead.Something changed that never came back.TV has also contributed to our decline,most folk would rather watch a premier game or Soccer saturday than pay £15 to watch a poor standard of football.

Lets face it in the 80's there wasnt much competition tv wise on a saturday afternoon,big daddy and gianthastacks or the ATeam.

Anyway,the club is dying,this chap corney isnt going to prevent it and to be quite frank i don't think theres anyone out there that will either.

I think we might remerge like maybe a wimbldsdon FC and find home at whitebank or something.

Its a crying shame after those halcium days of 87/88/89/90/91/92 but them days are gone,and never coming back.

Got to agree with Rigsby

I read the article as this season is our swan song. Without investment next year its literally adios.

I have been lucky to see latics from the 80's and up and have been proud to support my home town team. I have witness the disaster at sheddings and the demise of Athletics too in our town

I remember we produced two England captains in David platt and Mike Atherton, okay not the greatest but they hailed from Oldham.

I wish I could say it was a long, long time ago, but I am not even 40.

A sad day for me with no light at the end of the proverbial tunnel for OAFC, reality bites

I just hope our team keeps going and we end up in a decent top 10 position and annoys as many opposition fans along the way too

Let the Yard dogs out

Got to agree with Rigsby

I read the article as this season is our swan song. Without investment next year its literally adios.

I have been lucky to see latics from the 80's and up and have been proud to support my home town team. I have witness the disaster at sheddings and the demise of Athletics too in our town

I remember we produced two England captains in David platt and Mike Atherton, okay not the greatest but they hailed from Oldham.

I wish I could say it was a long, long time ago, but I am not even 40.

A sad day for me with no light at the end of the proverbial tunnel for OAFC, reality bites

I just hope our team keeps going and we end up in a decent top 10 position and annoys as many opposition fans along the way too

Let the Yard dogs out

..I have been lucky to see latics from the 80's and up and have been proud to support my home town team. I have witness the disaster at sheddings and the demise of Athletics too in our town

Mike Atherton was born in Failsworth and I'm pretty sure someone said on here that Failsworth is in Manc. :wink:

Keep your chin up Underdog! :ktf:

Mike Atherton was born in Failsworth and I'm pretty sure someone said on here that Failsworth is in Manc. :wink:

Keep your chin up Underdog! :ktf:

Maybe, any chance someone could mug that scholsey, surely he must have plenty of manure wages gathering dust somewhere

To be honest I see this as good news, actively looking for more financial input, things turning round on the pitch and looking at a new stadium, yes things are looking pretty good, he simply states that there is a possibilty of administration, but you look at clubs of a similar level to us it is the same for them,

if we continue to battle I dont think we have anything to worry about, if we can keep up our performances on pitch im sure a wealthy benefactor will eventually become interested, if we show were on the up with great potential people will want to take a look at least

To be honest I see this as good news, actively looking for more financial input, things turning round on the pitch and looking at a new stadium, yes things are looking pretty good, he simply states that there is a possibilty of administration, but you look at clubs of a similar level to us it is the same for them,

if we continue to battle I dont think we have anything to worry about, if we can keep up our performances on pitch im sure a wealthy benefactor will eventually become interested, if we show were on the up with great potential people will want to take a look at least

I'm not sure what your medication is but could you let me know as I need some of it myself. All I can see is Black! Black! You lock me in the cellar and feed me pins! And you have this serenity and faith and stuff - give....me.......your.......medicine......now