Wi Fi At Latics

Does anybody have any idea how much it would cost the club to provide this to those in the stands?

Would it actually be of value to supporters?

Would supporters be prepared to pay a small fee for the service - e.g. £2 a game?

May be it is something that could be considered as part of the new stadium development.

(for me it would be a nice to have, making it possible to pick up latest scores elsewhere on my iPod touch. I don't have a vision of 4,000 sat there with laptops on their knees!)

Does anybody have any idea how much it would cost the club to provide this to those in the stands?

Would it actually be of value to supporters?

Would supporters be prepared to pay a small fee for the service - e.g. £2 a game?

May be it is something that could be considered as part of the new stadium development.

(for me it would be a nice to have, making it possible to pick up latest scores elsewhere on my iPod touch. I don't have a vision of 4,000 sat there with laptops on their knees!)

Why????? Can't you pick up scores via WAP like anybody else?....or is it just so that you can advertise how 'cool' you are to have an ipod touch?

Edited by otid

Why????? Can't you pick up scores via WAP like anybody else?....or is it just so that you can advertise how 'cool' you are to have an ipod touch?

Yes, I can pick them up via WAP. I don't remotely do 'cool' and never quite carried it off at any stage in my life tyvm.

I simply posted in response to a closed thread which raised the subject from a slightly different angle and wondered whether there was a commerical opportunity for the Club.

Edited by opinions4u

Yes, I can pick them up via WAP. I don't remotely do 'cool' and never quite carried it off at any stahe in my life tyvm.

I simply posted in response to a closed thread which raised the subject from a slightly different angle and wondered whether there was a commerical opportunity for the Club.

I've been thinking the same thing recently, as I can never get a 3g signal at BP. Maybe a BT openzone or something like that....

I've been thinking the same thing recently, as I can never get a 3g signal at BP. Maybe a BT openzone or something like that....

My iPhone picked up two wifi networks at BP yesterday, both called 'Oldham Athletic Connect' or something, but password-protected. I suppose they are for office use, or perhaps a service for those in executive or press boxes, but I'm sure there is a demand from fans and visiting scouts.

In no way is this an irk the iPod/iPhone fanboy issue, the reception at BP is awful once it comes near HT and more than about 4 people are using 3G to check scores. I was able to look at scores after about half an hour but beyond that, and even into the second half I couldn't get jack :censored:e.

Yeah I reckon use of the clubs wi-fi would be a decent commercial opportunity. Whilst I think £2 is a bit steep when all most folk wanna do is check the scores I'd certainly pay a quid or something.

Mind you, when the club can't carry out the simplest of promotions out without problems, I guess arranging a paid-for wi-fi connection is way beyond the realms of feasability.

In no way is this an irk the iPod/iPhone fanboy issue, the reception at BP is awful once it comes near HT and more than about 4 people are using 3G to check scores. I was able to look at scores after about half an hour but beyond that, and even into the second half I couldn't get jack :censored:e.

Yeah I reckon use of the clubs wi-fi would be a decent commercial opportunity. Whilst I think £2 is a bit steep when all most folk wanna do is check the scores I'd certainly pay a quid or something.

Mind you, when the club can't carry out the simplest of promotions out without problems, I guess arranging a paid-for wi-fi connection is way beyond the realms of feasability.

Why not bolt a small premium onto Our LP subscriptions or ST's or sell WIFI scratchcards (scratch off the panel and it gives you that days unique password etc..etc, a quid a go that gives you 2 hours coverage. There's ways to do it and given the number of smart phones out there an obvious demand.

Edited by oafcprozac

+1 went into the clubshop and asked for a car kit was told they cost to much to buy in bulk yet they chuck aload off money at this sticker album promotion

shouldnt be too difficult really. maybe charge £10 per season. to prevent 1 person paying and everyone using it send each person a verifacation number that they have to use to sign in to the service. surely that would easily pay for itself and make the club more money aswel as providing another positive towards coming to watch us

I have the same problem. I can check scores in the first half, but then once half time comes I can't connect to anything via 3G and have to turn 3G off. I can then connect, but its really slow.