That was poor today

Somebody in that back 5 has got to take ownership of defending set pieces.

Sure Prozac or Paul (Can't remember his username), who have both been keepers, will either back me up or say I'm talking bollocks, but, from my experience at playing, the Keeper should always be sorting out the defending of set pieces.

I'll probably get shot at here, but I felt it was more Southampton posing a threat and forcing us back than us being intentionally negative. They went for us from the start and I was worried for the first 15 minutes we'd get hammered. Puncheon ripped Black to pieces, even Lee was struggling and they got through us too easily. Then we got more into it, got the goal and all was happy again.

We then spent a lot of time chasing shadows and, like I say, I'm not sure we intentionally went Penny-esque. Their two goals were gimmes, just poor defending and if taylor's header right at the death had gone in, we'd have got out of jail.

It's not a disaster; PD is still learning his trade and has openly said he will make mistakes, but will learn by them. I'm sure he will and one of those mistakes was changing last week's team. We're carrying Feeney; he looks half-arsed and way off the pace. No attacking threat from him whatsoever. The Tank worked his Niagaras off again, but Feeney was never going to be bright enough to feed off him.

Taylor looked like a stranger back on the wing; he must have settled into his new role behind the main striker too well! Jones was in and out as was Stephens, and speaking of Stephens, his set pieces are causing more damage to fans behind the goal than the players in front of it. Brill looked solid enough, Lee and Black improved and Hazell & M'Voto didn't do much wrong. MOM for me was Furman - busy, fought well, got stuck in and ran his socks off.

At least PD went for it with a 3-4-3 / 3-4-4 / 3-2-5 or whatever it was, albeit it too little, too late. Top and bottom of it was, we got beat by a better side on the day but this is such a tight division that a win would have seen us 5th instead of 13th and we're still only 2 points outside the play offs.

We'll be OK as PD gets more experience and the odd poor performance gets outweighed by the good ones. Personally, I'm still not worried about where the season is going, but we've got to be "at it" (to quote the man) next week against Plymuff.

How far off an appearance is Dickov then? Surely he won't be as unfit as Feeney

I went to Southampton yesterday because I was curious whether we play better away from BP as we seem unable to get a grip and dropping to many home points.

Unfortunatley, the same stagnant first 45mins was on show and we given a harsh lesson in how to pass the football. Southampton were class and we looked thugish to say the least. there no.10 on the wing was outstanding m'voto was given his first challenge really by a forward the same size of him but was well up for the challenge (even when the ball wouldn't run out of play for him several times)

I was amazed we scored, it was against the run of play, I don't remember too many shots on/off target for us either and we were lucky not too come out 3-1 down.

Stephens your first touch is terrible, if it was not for furball I dread to think what we had going on in midfield - I pray furball does not get injured or we are in it.

Feeney, the language I could use would be sensored on here. I have said it since I saw you in pre-season...thanks and goodbye.You had a good 3/4 of the game to impress me and you did bugger all. I strange decision by PD to play him

Taylor was unlucky with the last minute diving header but it was brilliant pushed around the post by their GK, sorry to say its the only contribution I can remember him making

A fair result I'm afraid chaps and agian we are getting to the opps penalty box and do not have a clue.

Bristol latic summed it up pretty damn well too.

Set pieces, far post.....aagghh!!!!!

We have dropped to 13th and its pretty damn tight on the points it has been said previously a win and we could have been 5th give or take. However, we also need to be looking over our shoulders too at the drop zone.

Need to bag a win on Sat - see you all there

Sure Prozac or Paul (Can't remember his username), who have both been keepers, will either back me up or say I'm talking bollocks, but, from my experience at playing, the Keeper should always be sorting out the defending of set pieces.

The fault looking at it from my eyes seemed to be Tounkare not jumping with the man he was supposed to mark (I have noticed this before against other teams), for a big man he has no spring in his heels and IMO not the ideal person to defend set pieces.

Mvoto and Hazell in contrast appeared to be marking no one.

To the Latics coaching staff, the instructions to defending set pieces in the air are simple, attack the ball, also leave 3 men on the halfway when defending corners instead of no one.

Throw away the clipboards and let the opposition worry what you are going to do, not the other way round.

Edited by BP1960

Feeney, the language I could use would be sensored on here. I have said it since I saw you in pre-season...thanks and goodbye.You had a good 3/4 of the game to impress me and you did bugger all. I strange decision by PD to play him

I don't want to have a downer on Feeney just yet, but I'm heading towards this point of view. A quarter of the season gone and has he even had a decent shot for us yet??

Edited by JoeP

I'll probably get shot at here, but I felt it was more Southampton posing a threat and forcing us back than us being intentionally negative. They went for us from the start and I was worried for the first 15 minutes we'd get hammered. Puncheon ripped Black to pieces, even Lee was struggling and they got through us too easily. Then we got more into it, got the goal and all was happy again.

We then spent a lot of time chasing shadows and, like I say, I'm not sure we intentionally went Penny-esque. Their two goals were gimmes, just poor defending and if taylor's header right at the death had gone in, we'd have got out of jail.

It's not a disaster; PD is still learning his trade and has openly said he will make mistakes, but will learn by them. I'm sure he will and one of those mistakes was changing last week's team. We're carrying Feeney; he looks half-arsed and way off the pace. No attacking threat from him whatsoever. The Tank worked his Niagaras off again, but Feeney was never going to be bright enough to feed off him.

Taylor looked like a stranger back on the wing; he must have settled into his new role behind the main striker too well! Jones was in and out as was Stephens, and speaking of Stephens, his set pieces are causing more damage to fans behind the goal than the players in front of it. Brill looked solid enough, Lee and Black improved and Hazell & M'Voto didn't do much wrong. MOM for me was Furman - busy, fought well, got stuck in and ran his socks off.

At least PD went for it with a 3-4-3 / 3-4-4 / 3-2-5 or whatever it was, albeit it too little, too late. Top and bottom of it was, we got beat by a better side on the day but this is such a tight division that a win would have seen us 5th instead of 13th and we're still only 2 points outside the play offs.

We'll be OK as PD gets more experience and the odd poor performance gets outweighed by the good ones. Personally, I'm still not worried about where the season is going, but we've got to be "at it" (to quote the man) next week against Plymuff.

AGREE with what you said i was thinking when it was was 1-1 do we risk going 4-3-3 or 3-5-2 however Southampton looked dangerous in attack and hit the post just before we scored. Have to sad Feeney looks short of pace ans fitness at the moment. Only time he has stood out for me is when he came off the bench against Charlton on the wing.

Having watched the highlights on LP, our defending both at set pieces and generally looked woeful they hit the post twice and missed a one on one when Hazell got the wrong side of the player, their first goal was a free header from a free kick, and their second was a shocking goal to concede he just walked past 3 or 4 players before scoring.

On the plus side we scored a good goal and Mvoto was unlucky to hit the post on the turn, we could also have snatched a point late on with Taylor's header that brought a decent save.

Stephens, Black and Feeney had shockers.

Like Underdog says Furman was doing the job of 2 in the middle of the park and has been for some weeks. Stephens should be dropped for a horrendous free kick in the 2nd half alone and a Gareth Barry esq "tackle" on the touchline. I'd rather Jarrett or Jones be given a chance at centre mid. We've been carrying Stephens for too many games now.

If the lad they brought on who scored and hit the post, after walzing around our whole team had started I reckon we would have suffered a much heavier defeat. We couldnt handle his pace and direct running. Something our team is lacking as well as a goal scorer.

Stephens, Black and Feeney had shockers.

Like Underdog says Furman was doing the job of 2 in the middle of the park and has been for some weeks. Stephens should be dropped for a horrendous free kick in the 2nd half alone and a Gareth Barry esq "tackle" on the touchline. I'd rather Jarrett or Jones be given a chance at centre mid. We've been carrying Stephens for too many games now.

If the lad they brought on who scored and hit the post, after walzing around our whole team had started I reckon we would have suffered a much heavier defeat. We couldnt handle his pace and direct running. Something our team is lacking as well as a goal scorer.

The annoying thing he was quite easy to stop, he was all right foot, had Latics seen him before I wonder and instructed the defenders what to look out for ?

Edited by BP1960

The annoying thing he was quite easy to stop, he was all right foot, had Latics seen him before I wonder and instructed the defenders what to look out for ?

Well i'm going off one performance. He looked pretty hard to stop but then we barely put a tackle in on him. Was all right foot but was bloody rapid. Black couldnt get near him.

Out of interest, despite our up and down performances, one player not mentioend much is Ritchie Jones ( Irealise Butter did but that was more giving a chance than his performance..

How is he doing? Is it because he does the basics right and does not show himself up, or because he is annonymous and hides.

Out of interest, despite our up and down performances, one player not mentioend much is Ritchie Jones ( Irealise Butter did but that was more giving a chance than his performance..

How is he doing? Is it because he does the basics right and does not show himself up, or because he is annonymous and hides.

TBH for me, he's pretty annonymous and I even forget he's on the pitch sometimes. A bit lost even? I don't even think he's playing in the right position either which doesn't help

I'd give Jarrett a bash in midfield, Kelly is still a little raw for me but he is showing more spark than teeney weeney.

Brookey to start? hmm.....got muscled out a bit when he made a cameo on Sat but his passion is there. Bless

Options for up front? Taylor?