latics v plymouth

After watching TFLS, I think Plymouth can consider themselves very unfortunate with both sending offs. The first is hardly a clear cut goalscoring opportunity, the ball is going away from goal with Tounkara chasing the ball and in no control, but still a penalty. The second was a 50/50 an an accidental clash of heads which deserved a booking at worse.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching TFLS, I think Plymouth can consider themselves very unfortunate with both sending offs. The first is hardly a clear cut goalscoring opportunity, the ball is going away from goal with Tounkara chasing the ball and in no control, but still a penalty. The second was a 50/50 an an accidental clash of heads which deserved a booking at worse.

I agree with you on the first. Should have stayed on.

The second one, after seeing it on telly, I think he got spot on. It was nasty and unnecessary.

what a bizzare, entertaining, bemusing game yesterday.

A dodgy sending off for them that really shaped the game and the only thing Alice contributed really was the second sending off, Stephens again....first touch terrible. Lets give jarret a bash in midlfield as Furman must be realy getting peeded off with tidying up after him.

Furball coverered every blade of grass yesterday dropping back to defence when Mvoto went up.

I really thought the footy gods were not going to give us a winner at all after throwing even the kitchen sink at it and was highly amused when we scored the additional two in extra time.

I even enjoyed the Dean Brill wriggle celebration dance after the third - and well done that man for the point blank save at 2-2

I really have not a clue how the rochdale game is going to end up and I can't wait now either...

Phew!!!!!

I'd have agreed as well until I saw the BWP goal on TV. Brill 'dived' with his hands by his side, was a pretty central strike. So he owed us that one.

E4e

FRILL

Strange isn't it. sat behind the goal I didn't attribute any blame to brill at the time.

But on the telly, it looks like a shocking effort to save.

Still, he did better at 2-2 and a good job he did too.

1st one to be fair he had to go by the rules. last man etc etc

2nd one definatly a sending off led with his elbow shouldnt of done it, see ya later !

I was also bemused when Evina went off as he was our main danger in the second half -

I was at the time until he was replaced with that new lad. Fair play to Dickov. We didn't need 4 at the back so to take one off for a forward made complete sense. Yeah Evina was awesome bombing on but it was time to give another frontman a go.

E4e

ATACK

I don't disagree, but my '"good grace" interpretation came from the great restrain he had to show to button his lip and refrain from flicking the 'V's, once he had decided to walk away backwards facing the Chaddy.

Yeah he was timewasting...who wouldn't...but thought it was a tad unfair he got booked after a fan from the Chaddy flung the ball quite a distance past him.

E4e

HEYHO

Rather bizarrely, a Geordie friend of mine sent me a text at 3 minutes to 5 saying only, "Jean Yves Mvoto has a foot long cock." I wouldn't subscribe to any form of racial steriotyping but he might be right. Big John has the making of a cult hero anyway. Thought Tonk, Furman and Evina were all wexcellent. Haven't watched the highlights yet but I didn't think Brill did owt wrong, and it's amazing to see him so animated after last year. Penney really must have been a dreadful :censored: to work for. We did well to keep patient and plugging away at them, my only criticisms would be that we played too many aerial balls across the pitch that let them contest it one on one rather than making them chase after us and we didn't attack down the middle from time to time. Still, 4 goals, 3 pies and a number of pints is not a bad day. Might even come back again!

Rather bizarrely, a Geordie friend of mine sent me a text at 3 minutes to 5 saying only, "Jean Yves Mvoto has a foot long cock." I wouldn't subscribe to any form of racial steriotyping but he might be right. Big John has the making of a cult hero anyway. Thought Tonk, Furman and Evina were all wexcellent. Haven't watched the highlights yet but I didn't think Brill did owt wrong, and it's amazing to see him so animated after last year. Penney really must have been a dreadful :censored: to work for. We did well to keep patient and plugging away at them, my only criticisms would be that we played too many aerial balls across the pitch that let them contest it one on one rather than making them chase after us and we didn't attack down the middle from time to time. Still, 4 goals, 3 pies and a number of pints is not a bad day. Might even come back again!

You should change your signature to 'Is there a tone in this thread I can lower?'

To be fair to Plymouth LL Plymouth made it almost impossible to attack down the middle, they conceded the wings and sat in the centre and packed the penalty area when the crosses came in, a game plan which almost worked!

I agree Tonk Furman and Evina excellent. Also thought Taylor and Lee played well once we switched it and Taylor picked out his overlaps.

Tremendous game, I have enjoyed each and every game at BP this season in terms of the football. The atmosphere is still :censored: but the product on the pitch has been very exciting and I would advise the stay aways to come back down to BP and give the boys your support again. For me football is about entertainment, thats why I go and what I enjoy. I know its supposed to be a results business but if I keep seeing games like I have seen so far this season I honestly couldnt give a toss where we finish in the league after last seasons dross.

On last word for the miserable constant moaning bastards around us who left after Tonkara headed over, I genuinely hope you missed the winning goals its what you idiots truly deserve. If you stopped moaning and swearing and abusing for a second you may have realised there was an exciting game of football going on!

No he was I swear I saw him in the directors box

Reading other threads on there, apparently he's been to a couple of their games, so it's them he's looking at and not us, thank Christ.

Still. Poor Plymouth. They seem like a decent bunch and there's not many teams i hate enough to wish that on them.

Reading other threads on there, apparently he's been to a couple of their games, so it's them he's looking at and not us, thank Christ.

Still. Poor Plymouth. They seem like a decent bunch and there's not many teams i hate enough to wish that on them.

I am a great admirer of Mr Ridsdale, and I hope his next project involves him working with Man City, Glasgow Rangers or Yorkshire County Cricket Club.

An amazing up and down day in terms of emotions and despite leaving the game winning 4-2, it was a sense of 'Phew - about time' rather than utter jubilation - though don't take that to mean I didn't enjoy it. A Fanstastic afternoons entertainment, and the end of the season its 3 points no matter how and when the goals came.

Felt both red cards were 'fair' if not nailed on. TV replay shows the first was a clumsy challenge and a pen, and the rules state last man = red cards. Second he led with his elbow - totally uneccesary, and I'm with the ref on the decision. Wasn't at the time, but he was a hell of alot close than me.

Felt Brill was poor for both of their goals (the second on TV, his arm is nowhere near outstretched) but obviously did a good job at 2-2. At other times he seems to spill/palm off more shots than I'd like. Catch the ball Dean! And if you do palm it, out it out of harms way. Think we'd benefit from another keeper challenging for his place.

Evina - fantastic crosser of the ball today and felt we lost threat a bit when he came off. Like the earlier post idea of Black at LB, and Evina on the wing / outside midfield. Good player.

Glad Kelly scored (a great dink cross by Lee - having a greaet season IMO) but its the forward line that worries me this season. A 15-20 goal scorer and a better keeper would mean the difference between being in the mix for the play-offs and sitting behind Brighton at the moment.

Great entertainment, frustrating at times and by no means perfect, but 3 points, 2 off auto and Dale and Hudds to come. Happy days.

A 15-20 goal scorer and a better keeper would mean the difference between being in the mix for the play-offs and sitting behind Brighton at the moment.

They both cost money. A lot of money. And it's only last season we nearly got relegated. Chill out, relax, enjoy.

An amazing up and down day in terms of emotions and despite leaving the game winning 4-2, it was a sense of 'Phew - about time' rather than utter jubilation - though don't take that to mean I didn't enjoy it. A Fanstastic afternoons entertainment, and the end of the season its 3 points no matter how and when the goals came.

Felt both red cards were 'fair' if not nailed on. TV replay shows the first was a clumsy challenge and a pen, and the rules state last man = red cards. Second he led with his elbow - totally uneccesary, and I'm with the ref on the decision. Wasn't at the time, but he was a hell of alot close than me.

Felt Brill was poor for both of their goals (the second on TV, his arm is nowhere near outstretched) but obviously did a good job at 2-2. At other times he seems to spill/palm off more shots than I'd like. Catch the ball Dean! And if you do palm it, out it out of harms way. Think we'd benefit from another keeper challenging for his place.

Evina - fantastic crosser of the ball today and felt we lost threat a bit when he came off. Like the earlier post idea of Black at LB, and Evina on the wing / outside midfield. Good player.

Glad Kelly scored (a great dink cross by Lee - having a greaet season IMO) but its the forward line that worries me this season. A 15-20 goal scorer and a better keeper would mean the difference between being in the mix for the play-offs and sitting behind Brighton at the moment.

Great entertainment, frustrating at times and by no means perfect, but 3 points, 2 off auto and Dale and Hudds to come. Happy days.

pretty glad we've got 2 northern teams to play in a row. Might bring some atmosphere and feeling back to the club.

They both cost money. A lot of money. And it's only last season we nearly got relegated. Chill out, relax, enjoy.

I am enjoying the season - don't worry.

However our results have been on the better side of inconsistent and we are still only 2 points off automatic promotion - it would appear that compared to previous seasons that promotion / play-offs might be less tough this season.

So my view is that we should look at what we could do to strenghten the key positions - seasons ago we have had Rachubka in goal for very low cost, Poggie was cheap, even Kelly was low cost. Decent keepers don't have to cost a lot.

Goal-scorers are more so. And perhaps that we might have so see what Dickov can squeeze out of the current bunch.

On the whole I thought we made very hard work of beating 9 men, but credit to Plymouth they ran their socks off and have one or two handy players.

I personally was very pleased to see Wright-Phillips go off, he was a real handful even with nine men, they still looked a threat going forward with his pace.

I thought we just weren't going to get that break we needed in the box at 2-2, despite the alamo pressure.

Overall still a good 3 points.

Spot on! :applause1:

There's a lot of Joe Royle-type philosophy about what's going on this season. I'm sure Rick Holden recognised it today - he must have been wishing he could have been given the opportunity to put some crosses in - and he would have loved the swashbuckling finish to the match.

If only he saw the finish to the match.. he left around the 85th minute (he might of gone and stood somewhere to see it, but he certainly left his seat with 5 mins + stoppage left)

Thought it was spot on by the Ref, their goalie suddenly developed an inability to catch the ball when the ball boy threw it back to him and it was obvious attempt to waste time. About time we got a Ref with some balls.

I think what sealed it for the Ref was that he also had decided to go for a drink and get his bottle from behind the net as the ball flew past him. It was also a minute after he'd warned him

Edited by astottie

Thought it was spot on by the Ref, their goalie suddenly developed an inability to catch the ball when the ball boy threw it back to him and it was obvious attempt to waste time. About time we got a Ref with some balls.

What I recall is that he stood looking at the ballboy waiting for the ball and as soon as the ballboy started the action to throw the ball to him he then bent down and went for his water bottom allowing the ball to go past on to the pitch. Typical 'professional' / cheating behaviour seen regularly when teams are time-wasting.

However the ref had given him a verbal warning a minute before and, in my opinion, rightly thought that this was taking the p*ss and booked him. Good officiating I thought as it significantly reduce the amount of time-wasting he did (though the notable change in his pace following M'Voto's goal was hilarious).

Credit to their number 17. Decent player and twice got a reasonably significant hard challenge when it was 2-2 and didn't stay down and got on with the game. Well done lad.

Edited by Scapegoat