Walsall Youth at Lilleshall

After being 2 goals down with 3 minutes on the clock the Latics Youth team where 5-2 ahead when I left with 5 minutes left.

Tarkowski and Matty D Carr made a real hash of the opening two Walsall chances but we pulled a goal back within 2 minutes.

Apart from the opening skirmishes Walsall rarely troubles the Latics defance.

Turning around at 4-2 we had many chances to increase the lead but the Walsall GK had a blinder in the second half.

Andrew Crompton, Kyle Riley and Ryan Burns took the home side apart and looked head and shoulders above the rest.

A excellent result again to Tony Philiskirks team and a place in the third round Youth Alliance Cup now secure. (Assuming we didnt concede 3 goals in the last 5 minutes :wink: )

Andrew Crompton, Kyle Riley and Ryan Burns took the home side apart and looked head and shoulders above the rest.

Cheers for the report, Gary and the score did finish 5-2. The only bit I have to pull you up on is the bit in bold. Cromy is currently out with tonsillitis, so it must've been somebody else who impressed you (Burns, maybe?).

The goals came via a hat-trick from Jack Laird and a brace from Kyle Riley.

Cheers for the report, Gary and the score did finish 5-2. The only bit I have to pull you up on is the bit in bold. Cromy is currently out with tonsillitis, so it must've been somebody else who impressed you (Burns, maybe?).

The goals came via a hat-trick from Jack Laird and a brace from Kyle Riley.

Sorry - of course it was Laird

Sorry - of course it was Laird

I work with a lad who his mates with Andy Cromptons Dad. He keeps telling us how he goes into the local pub with his Dad in his club tracksuit but always sticks to coke. His Dad use to be in the army and before Oldham Man United wanted him and his Dad basically said if he his good enough you will sign him now? Darren Sheridan also drinks there often.

Anyone who looks like they could break through this season?

We seem to take on four each season, so if that is the way again this time then the four that I would offer deals to are:

Matty D Carr - authoritative centre-half

*Carl Winchester - Classy right-back

*Ryan Burns - Tricky right winger/centre forward

Andy Crompton - Nippy centre forward

However, next summer sees us with just five professionals under contract, so maybe more than four will be kept on. The other second years are:

Matty A Carr - battling midfielder

Shaun Routledge - keeper

Connor Hughes - left winger

Greg Kidd - left back

James Tarkowski - centre half

The first four I mentioned, in my opinion, have already done enough to warrant deals, whereas the other five still have plenty to do. I'd be interested to know what the other people who regularly watch the youth team think.

*Whilst the two Irish lads are only in the their first year with Latics, they are the same age as the second year apprentices because the system is different in Ireland. This was the same with Kirk Millar last year.