Feeney is fast becoming a waste of time

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...2206676,00.html

Struggling to get any kind of form going or understanding with any partner here he's now off yet again for a meaningless friendly. This first season at Latics will be a complete waste of time come the end of the European qualifiers.

100 percent agree, Tounkara and Kelly strike partnership all the way for me

i like the idea of playing taylor in a free-role upfront as he has been doing but kelly has played well when he's come on. but feeney is shocking, we need to get rid of him

4-3-1-2?

Brill

Lee

Hazell

Mvoto

Black/Evina

Jones

Stephens

Furman

Taylor (free role)

Tonk

Kelly

Have it like the fullbacks are wing backs, inbetween midfield and defence.. and one of the 3 midfielders always sits just infront of the two defenders whilst attacking?

Was really pleased when we signed him based on what I knew of the player. Seen enough appearances this season to have come to the conclusion he brings nothing of real use to the team.

Reminds me of Paul Warne....if you remove the commitment and willingness to run through brick walls for the team.

Don't write him off just yet.

I haven't Macca. The point I am making is that it will be the end of the season before the Europeans are out of the way. He has proved that country comes first and I don't have a problem with that providing it's only affecting the matches he misses. It's affecting his Latics career not just the away days on duty.

I haven't Macca. The point I am making is that it will be the end of the season before the Europeans are out of the way. He has proved that country comes first and I don't have a problem with that providing it's only affecting the matches he misses. It's affecting his Latics career not just the away days on duty.

International football should be the last thing on his mind. He's spent the last four years out on loan from Cardiff, not really settled anywhere and at 29 if he fails here, who realistically will take a punt on him? Are Northern Ireland really that :censored: that they have to rely on a guy that has done sod all really since leaving Stockport in 2005 - ok, a decent loan spell at Dundee United aside?

I was pleased when we signed him, I thought we going to get a real pain in the arse who chips in with a few goals. Instead we've got a liability that swans off on International duty, disrupts the flow of the team whenever he's included and a guy that is totally out of form. Contrast that with Dean Kelly!

If I was Simon Corney, I'd be pissed off that the majority of our budget has been spent on this guy as it simply is not working out and the tone of the article on the website is seemingly exasperation. It seems reactionary to write the guy off after less than four months at the club, but he's offering nothing and stealing a wage at the moment.

I remember mentioning that his family still being in South Wales could be a problem and that may offer part of the explanation for such a poor start to his Latics career. I think another loan is the last thing he seriously needs but if it means we can offer extended deals to Jarrett and Kelly then we may well have to weigh up the options. Given our financial problems we have to do what works for the club not players with possible 'baggage'.

I hope Warren proves me wrong, but I just can't see it and we've no room for passengers at this club.

International football should be the last thing on his mind. He's spent the last four years out on loan from Cardiff, not really settled anywhere and at 29 if he fails here, who realistically will take a punt on him? Are Northern Ireland really that :censored: that they have to rely on a guy that has done sod all really since leaving Stockport in 2005 - ok, a decent loan spell at Dundee United aside?

Erm, yes mate.

Like many subjects on here this has been presented in a black & white format when actually it's shades of grey. Dickov will have been disappointed with his contribution so far and seems to be managing the situation realsitically. As he's shown with Gregan he has little room for sentiment and I trust him to make the right decision.

Interesting though that he plays for N.I. upfront on his own and works his arse off; and like him or not you can't accuse him of not trying here in a blue shirt. That's why I'm surprised at some of the comments on here, I could understand if he was a lazy sod who didn't try - and we could all name a few of them!

i agree he's been crap but you can't expect him to not turn out for his country if selected

Yes you damn well can!

As has been said, if I were him having not played for 18months properly, i'd have tried to come to some arrangement with NI manager and say 'look i'm joining a new club and need to get myself going, would you mind not considering me for 6 months whilst I get settled, fit and find form?'

Instead no, he swans off and plays. OK he gets games, but when he has played for us the whole tempo slows down because he is not nimble and quick enough to maintain the quick flow of the game.

All i have seen from him so far has been him standing still at every opportunity, back to goal looking to hold it up or get pushed to win a free kick, nothing resembling ability or passion ala Kelly.

At the end of the day we pay his wages and given his recent past with not getting games, he should call it quits with NI for this season and get his priorities right, especially when it comes to meaningless friendlies

Edited by shefflatic

Yes you damn well can!

As has been said, if I were him having not played for 18months properly, i'd have tried to come to some arrangement with NI manager and say 'look i'm joining a new club and need to get myself going, would you mind not considering me for 6 months whilst I get settled, fit and find form?'

rubbish

every player wants to earn as many caps for his country as they can, thats tripe mate

Yes you damn well can!

Instead no, he swans off and plays. OK he gets games, but when he has played for us the whole tempo slows down because he is not nimble and quick enough to maintain the quick flow of the game.

All i have seen from him so far has been him standing still at every opportunity, back to goal looking to hold it up or get pushed to win a free kick, nothing resembling ability or passion ala Kelly.

At the end of the day we pay his wages and given his recent past with not getting games, he should call it quits with NI for this season and get his priorities right, especially when it comes to meaningless friendlies

No you damn well can't!

Its his choice if he plays for Northern ireland or not we signed him in full knowledge that he was a northern ireland international and that we would lose him on international duty if the club had a problem with this then they shouldn't have signed him.

However like everyone else I haven't seen anything in him yet to justify any faith in keeping him whats he actually supposed to be good at? Its not like its a loss when he ain't in the team at the moment.

No you damn well can't!

Its his choice if he plays for Northern ireland or not we signed him in full knowledge that he was a northern ireland international and that we would lose him on international duty if the club had a problem with this then they shouldn't have signed him.

However like everyone else I haven't seen anything in him yet to justify any faith in keeping him whats he actually supposed to be good at? Its not like its a loss when he ain't in the team at the moment.

i'm sorry, but I wasn't aware players were lawfully required to play for their country at all times.

It's called international retirement, or in Feeney's case, trying to maintain a career for the sake of a few friendlies.

If he had any sense he wouldve just focused on us for the first 6 months and said 'No' to NI having had a chat with NW about his lack of career over the last 2 years.

Finding form and fitness would then benefit all concerned upon his return to the NI setup - they can't be that bad that they NEED him at all times.

I just don't buy this 'hes got to play for his country' rubbish - reality check needed in this case regarding his career - the fact he is mssing games with us given he isn't even a starter for us this season smacks of where his true priorities lie - and it aint with us

Edited by shefflatic

i'm sorry, but I wasn't aware players were lawfully required to play for their country at all times.

It's called international retirement, or in Feeney's case, trying to maintain a career for the sake of a few friendlies.

If he had any sense he wouldve just focused on us for the first 6 months and said 'No' to NI having had a chat with NW about his lack of career over the last 2 years.

Finding form and fitness would then benefit all concerned upon his return to the NI setup - they can't be that bad that they NEED him at all times.

I just don't buy this 'hes got to play for his country' rubbish - reality check needed in this case regarding his career - the fact he is mssing games with us given he isn't even a starter for us this season smacks of where his true priorities lie - and it aint with us

again - thats rubbish

I don't think he will actually miss any games for us. All the home nations, bar Wales, have an international friendly, that week, and a few countries have qualifiers (Croatia and Finland are those with obvious players in England). I can't see the PL not playing the players involved on the Saturday (or the Sunday in some cases). Therefore if the PL are playing, why can't we "play" Feeney.

Just because he can be called away 5 days before the game doesn't mean he will be.

TBH I'd be tempted to play him against Accy, as I think if he gets one he might get a few; Kelly is doubtful; its a cup game and no matter what level your playing at the priority should be the league; and if a slightly less than full strength side can't beat Accy then its better to know now.

In which time he would most certainly lose his place to Kyle Lafferty, Martin Paterson, Paddy McCourt, Jamie Ward or one of their other strikers. A place he'd almost find possible to win back playing for a mediocre League One club.

Aside from international disruptions he just hasn't been given the game time. It's bizzare that Dickov signed Feeney who will more than likely be our top earner, then weeks later another support striker in Tounkara. We should have signed one or the other and use the other wage on a goalscoring striker. Feeney creates chances through graft, chasing ball down, drifting wide and crossing in, generally being a menace in the box. Tounkara is a target man. They're incompatible up front together because neither are goalscorers, you'll see the best from either when you put a goalscorer along side them. After the next international there's not any until February, correct? I'd like to see Feeney given a run in the first team alongside Ryan Brooke or if Kelly has hit the net a few more times, him even.

Edited by PlayItLivo

In which time he would most certainly lose his place to Kyle Lafferty, Martin Paterson, Paddy McCourt, Jamie Ward or one of their other strikers. A place he'd almost find possible to win back playing for a mediocre League One club.

Aside from international disruptions he just hasn't been given the game time. It's bizzare that Dickov signed Feeney who will more than likely be our top earner, then weeks later another support striker in Tounkara. We should have signed one or the other and use the other wage on a goalscoring striker. Feeney creates chances through graft, chasing ball down, drifting wide and crossing in, generally being a menace in the box. Tounkara is a target man. They're incompatible up front together because neither are goalscorers, you'll see the best from either when you put a goalscorer along side them. After the next international there's not any until February, correct? I'd like to see Feeney given a run in the first team alongside Ryan Brooke or if Kelly has hit the net a few more times, him even.

Barring injury...I don't think Tounkara deserves to lose his place!!