This DVD

Is it the Rochdale game?

I just can't believe they're only advertsing a DVD and no bluray.

Someone needs to tell people at Oldham Athletic that it's no longer 1999.

If all they do is a DVD, then that is the equivalent of only producing a VHS after DVDs had become widely distributed.

And frankly it worse, because the leap in quality from DVD to bluray is far more significant than that of VHS to DVD.

I just can't believe they're only advertsing a DVD and no bluray.

Someone needs to tell people at Oldham Athletic that it's no longer 1999.

If all they do is a DVD, then that is the equivalent of only producing a VHS after DVDs had become widely distributed.

And frankly it worse, because the leap in quality from DVD to bluray is far more significant than that of VHS to DVD.

Who has bluray anyways?

Not really mate. VHS to DVD was the switch from analogue to digital. Where as Blu Rays are just higher resolution DVDs. DVD video quality improved on VHS abundantly, gone were the flickering lines and flashes of interference that appeared on VHS from gradual deterioration, and the sound quality on DVDs were so much better. I don't know how any one can watch a VHS and then a DVD and not see the huge improvement in picture quality, DVD added so much more clarity to the picture.

It's not economical for the club to distribute this on Blu Ray, it's still only a format that a minority of people use, add to the fact that the footage they'll be using won't have been shot in HD in the first place, and what you'd essentially have is DVD quality upscaled to HD, but it wouldn't be true HD. Put a DVD in your PS3 and it up-scales it anyway. The PS3 is the best DVD player I've ever had, it really does a top job on up-scaling DVDs. But yeah, the transition from VHS to DVD was very necessary, the upgrade in quality was monumental, where as the upgrade in quality from DVD to Blu Ray is just a fine luxury.

Edited by PlayItLivo

where as the upgrade in quality from DVD to Blu Ray is just a fine luxury.

I couldn't disagree more. I have watched DVD quality/definition football and I have watched High Def 720p or 1080p football. The difference is incredible. The jump is definitely more significant than that of VHS to DVD.

And correct me if i'm wrong, but league matches must be shot in HD given the fact that the BBC show them. I have never heard of them filming anything in Standard Definition nowadays.

I couldn't disagree more. I have watched DVD quality/definition football and I have watched High Def 720p or 1080p football. The difference is incredible. The jump is definitely more significant than that of VHS to DVD.

And correct me if i'm wrong, but league matches must be shot in HD given the fact that the BBC show them. I have never heard of them filming anything in Standard Definition nowadays.

For what the BBC show yes, but i think their are others filming the games, or part of it anyway?

The football league games are filmed in standard definition. There's 30 odd games every weekend so freelance cameramen across the country record the games and drop the tapes at the local BBC office or other designated feed points (bt tower or IMG) The highlights are then clipped up and sent down the line in time for the football league show.

The club do not have easy access to the tapes or the highlights files without having to pay a source fee. So, Oldham have gone to a lot of trouble to repurpose these games to make a DVD for Christmas. The production costs of editing, sleeve design, printing, discs, cases and duplication often prevent clubs from bothering with season review DVDs. Production companies demand club shops buy a certain number of units (eg 500) to make any kind of reasonable profit. Even certain Prem clubs like Wigan struggle to sell that amount. The option to make it inhouse is not always viable due to the reasons mentioned earlier.

Oldham haven't had a DVD out for a while so hopefully this'll make a good stocking filler for Christmas and make a few quid for the club.

P.s very few clubs if any release season reviews on bluray. I imagine it might start happening soon but only the top prem clubs.

Edited by Channel M

BBC don't broadcast MOTD or TFLS in HD yet.

Given that the source footage isn't HD, it'd be a waste of time and money upscaling to Blu Ray as it wouldn't be true HD. And really, not many people use Blu Ray anyway. DVD is fine.

It's fair to say that Latics are getting the marketing side much better.

I hope it's making them shedloads of money, although I suspect the margins are quite tight - and this is more about involving the fans in the club at a small profit than generating massive amounts of income.

Edited by opinions4u

Given that the source footage isn't HD, it'd be a waste of time and money upscaling to Blu Ray as it wouldn't be true HD. And really, not many people use Blu Ray anyway. DVD is fine.

and also most peoples BluRay players have upscaling built in....

BBC ONE HD channel started yesterday, so MOTD and TFLS will both be shown in HD from now on. Already got it series linked!!