This DVD

BBC ONE HD channel started yesterday, so MOTD and TFLS will both be shown in HD from now on. Already got it series linked!!

Neither will be shown on BBC HD, 'cause they're not shot in HD, yet, pal. So you'll have to turn over to regular BBC 1 for MOTD and TFLS.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbchd/programmes/schedules

WHY ISN'T MATCH OF THE DAY AVAILABLE IN HD?

Match of the Day cannot be broadcast in HD because some of the matches are still filmed in standard definition (SD). The BBC's videotape infrastructure and the studio are also in SD. It is very expensive to convert everything to HD and would not deliver long-term value to either the BBC or its licence fee payers given BBC Sport's move to Salford in 2011 (where the infrastructure will be in HD).

However, the BBC's live Championship games are in HD where possible. This is because outside broadcasts do not require the same infrastructure as Match of the Day and are therefore far easier to produce in HD.

Edited by PlayItLivo

And the sun rises again, just as every morning.

And the club produces something new, and someone finds fault.

Here we go round the mulberry bush......

This isn't really about finding fault with the club (I would be the last one to resort to that kind of perpetual negativity), I am pointing out a fault that maybe somewhat beyond the clubs control according to what others have said.

But whoever is at fault we, appear to have a system that is 10 years behind the times in terms of providing video quality of football matches.

I have said something similar with regards the content on Latics Player. So this is nothing new.

This isn't really about finding fault with the club (I would be the last one to resort to that kind of perpetual negativity), I am pointing out a fault that maybe somewhat beyond the clubs control according to what others have said.

But whoever is at fault we, appear to have a system that is 10 years behind the times in terms of providing video quality of football matches.

I have said something similar with regards the content on Latics Player. So this is nothing new.

10 years?

Sky Sports HD has been around for 4 years and it's not like every man and his dog watches football in HD these days, most households are content with regular Sky. Standard definition football and DVDs are going to be around for a long while yet. The club aren't behind the times, technology is moving too fast, HD is only just growing in popularity and now 3D is on the scene. I don't blame any one for not making the plunge and adopting one of these formats because none appear to be future proof. We've had it all before with Betamax, Mini Disc, HD-DVD.

Simply put, DVD is sound, it was the transition to digital video which was needed and DVD and standard definition suit the majoriry of people. HD is cool, but as I said, it's a luxury. I mean, we've criticed the club for a lack of marketing and now they're releasing a variation of merchandise including DVDs are we're moaning about not having Blu Rays.

One step at a time.

10 years?

Sky Sports HD has been around for 4 years and it's not like every man and his dog watches football in HD these days, most households are content with regular Sky. Standard definition football and DVDs are going to be around for a long while yet. The club aren't behind the times, technology is moving too fast, HD is only just growing in popularity and now 3D is on the scene. I don't blame any one for not making the plunge and adopting one of these formats because none appear to be future proof. We've had it all before with Betamax, Mini Disc, HD-DVD.

Simply put, DVD is sound, it was the transition to digital video which was needed and DVD and standard definition suit the majoriry of people. HD is cool, but as I said, it's a luxury. I mean, we've criticed the club for a lack of marketing and now they're releasing a variation of merchandise including DVDs are we're moaning about not having Blu Rays.

One step at a time.

Let's not try to progress to 3D please.

My eyes are incapable of viewing it.

10 years?

One step at a time.

10 years because that is when DVDs became the standard format. BluRay and HDTV are fast taking over, and yet the powers that be are slow to adapt. So yes we are ten years behind. In other words we are stuck in a time warp in some areas at the moment. Movie studios have caught on and release everything in Bluray and DVD simultaneously. It's time for everyone else to follow suit.

10 years because that is when DVDs became the standard format. BluRay and HDTV are fast taking over, and yet the powers that be are slow to adapt. So yes we are ten years behind. In other words we are stuck in a time warp in some areas at the moment. Movie studios have caught on and release everything in Bluray and DVD simultaneously. It's time for everyone else to follow suit.

Films have multi-million pound special effects, teams of amazing artists focusing on making a visual extravaganza, stylists, etc. Football is about men kicking a leather bag around some grass. And therein lies the difference. So long as the picture is OK I couldn't give a monkeys, as a wise man once said.

Agree with the above that the Everton game is probably the bigger draw!

And I won't make any tone-lowering comments about VHS wearing out when you replay or pause repeatedly on the favourite part of the film whereas DVD doesn't, which is clearly the most important advance it brought.

Do any clubs do HD? I checked the dirty red scum site and they don't appear to.

So, it's hardly relevant to Latics is it. I don't have HD, don't even have LCD/Plasma - the CRTs I have give a fine picture in my opinion, then again, I never believed that speaker cable made much difference to audio quality - I was too busy listening to the tune

DVD is still the standard, it's the most popular and widley used format. So we're not behind. But let's assume for a minute Blu Ray was the standard format. That still doesn't mean the club is 10 years behind the times, it means the club is <insert numbers of years since Blu Ray's release> behind the times. Otherwise what you are saying is as soon as DVD was released the club was already behind the times, which makes no sense. When they released the DVD of the City win were they 4 years behind the times? Because DVD was the standard format for 4 years beforehand, even though Blu Ray wasn't out, we were still behind the times, right? It's simply uneconomical for the club to be thinking of releasing material on Blu Ray given how few people use it compared to DVD.

DVD isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. Blu Ray isn't even close to becoming the standard, really it isn't.

Edited by PlayItLivo

I'd personally rather they showed more highlights from the current matches than show a 1-0 cup match win from a few years ago. But that's just me. It's not like it's from our glory years in the Premier League or anything.

I'm happy with them showing the Everton game but other games would be good to have aswell..

maybe on the next one they will put other games on.