Best Latics debuts ?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Morais was decent when he came on first time but i think he tried to hard and tried shooting when there was a passing option. Whereas against 'Udders he was brilliant.

I was thinking of those starting a game rather than coming on as a substitute.

Steve Taylor, Lee Richardson and Alan Groves all stand out. Topping the lot though I give you Simon Stainrod, 2 goals on debut at B*****d Rovers, the second being a run from the half way line takes some beating.

Didn't David Reeves av a great debut scoring 2 or 3 goals at blackpool? Then we signed him permanantly and he did nothing after that. :lol:

Didn't David Reeves av a great debut scoring 2 or 3 goals at blackpool? Then we signed him permanantly and he did nothing after that. :lol:

Reeves made his debut a week earlier v Port Vale at home, made one and scored one. Then went onto score a brace at Blackpool - did sod all after that.

Filipe Morais was very impressive on his first starting appearance for the Latics, who else can you remember having great debuts ?

Beckett v Luton, scored and gave us a dimension up front we hadn't had in years.

Scott Vernon came on as sub v Carlisle and scored two in no time

Frankie Bunn at Bournemouth, we hadn't scored in well over a month sets up Tommy Wright early doors and then wins a late penalty in 2-2 draw

Eardley v Scunny was very accomplished

Agree with those suggesting Richardson, two wonder goals on his debut

Anyone remember Tony Foster ?..had a superb debut, but sadly never reached those heights again.

John Collins scored 6 on his debut, but few after.

I seem to remember Frank Large having a good debut as a centre back until he passed back a bit too strongly from the halfway line..and hit the crossbar..I don't think he ever played there again.

Edited by BP1960