Oldham V ECFC Matchday thread

Neil Lennon was in the Main Stand tonight.

Is he looking to take a Rangers reject back to Scotland to haunt them?

There was a few managers there tonight. Nigel Clough, Sean O'Driscoll, Brian Flynn, Brian McDermott. Most of them left at 3-0. They'll have been shocked when they heard the final scoreline!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Robs right, we did well 1st half but it was magnified by Exeter allowing us time and space to create. At 3 nil it should have been shut out and a lack of intelligence retaining the ball was our downfall

we ripped them apart. Exeter are good but we were miles better in the first half. They couldn't live with the variety and the runs into the box.

No where near as good as first half against Hudders. We might have took our chances this time, but we tore Hudders a new hole, Exeter just stood off us, anyone notice that they pressured us second half and dominated? (not much going forward until Brill had one of his moments)

It could be argued that exeter didn't neccesarily stand off us but just couldn't get near us......our tempo and quick interchanges had them sretched to the limit.

It could be argued that exeter didn't neccesarily stand off us but just couldn't get near us......our tempo and quick interchanges had them sretched to the limit.

this /\

they couldn't get near us to pressure us.....we were taking them apart everytime we had the ball.

Noble coming on for them made a huge difference, and our lot tiring (Winchester, Evina et all) didnt help....but 1st half; it all about how good we were; not how poor they were IMO

Don't you just love it when you're at work and you snatch a minute and your team is 2-0 up, and then you get back to work and tune in a few minutes later to find it's 3-0 at half time and you honk a few sounds in the chatroom, and then you finish work and go out for a few beers with colleagues and make a point of telling the Arsenal fans watching the telly that YOU'RE team is doing just fine ta, and then you connect to the interweb when you get home to find that it all went WRONG?

Gutted to throw it away like that. 1st half was excellent and eclipsed our 1st half performance against huddersfield. 2nd half and we still had control of the game and had Furmans shot gone in, it probably would of finnished 5 or 6. Then at about the 70 minute mark we did everything we could do wrong. Dickov Should of took Winchester of as the lad was tiring after another good performance but with Whites defensive sense and more importantly EFFORT the two of them were coping with there winger. Then when Jones came on well the poor lad had no help what so ever and they started to overun him by sending the fullback up aswell. Now i wont blame what happened on any individual player but the performance i saw from Ritchie was embarrasing. He clearly jumped out off 4 or 5 challenges in the 15 minutes or so that he was on the pitch and never once broke sweat and hopefully he won't be anywhere near the 1st team untill he sorts himself out. Feeney was typical Feeney by not really doing anything or holding the ball up and using his experience to help us overcome the hole we had got ourselves into. I think Brooke and Kelly offer much more despite the inferior reputations in the game.

Signs were coming before it happened but we were coping well enough untill the changes were made. Hopefully The management and players learn from it and make sure it doesnt happen again.

As for Saturday, the same 11 need to start and perform like they did 1st half for 90 minutes and if they do we will walk away from Spotland Very happy and very drunk!!

Changes to the bench is what i hope to see Sat.

Am I missing something here - did all their goals come from our right hand side? Winchester tripped a player, they missed the subsequent penalty so why are Winchester and Jones being blamed for this defeat when the goals didn't come from them.

Yeah i thought that. Exeter are a good side but we made them look crap in the first half because we put them under constant pressure, which seemed to totally knock their confidence and lead to them making stupid mistakes. Then we decided we didn't fancy the 3 points after all, and it gave them a chance to play their own game.

Absolutely inexplicable performance 2nd half. How can the same team be pushing forward and chasing every ball in injury time at 3-0 up, and then look totally disinterested in chasing the game at 3-3? Unless he put sedatives in the tea at HT, i'm really not convinced it was Dickov's fault. The subs, with hindsight, weren't the best, but they made sense at the time. Apart from Feeney. I wish he'd f**k off and steal a wage from someone who can afford it. We can complain all we want about the referee (was it Exeter's 1st or 2nd that came from a throw-in that should have been given to us?) but if you throw away a 3-goal lead you have absolutely no-one to blame but yourselves.

Still, on the bright side....we were fantastic 1st half. Aidy White looked superb (according to one of my dirty Leeds mates, he's "like an ugly Gareth Bale"). Winchester did well (first half at least) despite being constantly targeted. After a season of hearing Penney burying his head in the sand and praising the team after awful performances, it's good to see how angry Dickov was. And we're 3 points off 3rd with a game in hand. Onwards and upwards.

Yeah i thought that. Exeter are a good side but we made them look crap in the first half because we put them under constant pressure, which seemed to totally knock their confidence and lead to them making stupid mistakes. Then we decided we didn't fancy the 3 points after all, and it gave them a chance to play their own game.

Absolutely inexplicable performance 2nd half. How can the same team be pushing forward and chasing every ball in injury time at 3-0 up, and then look totally disinterested in chasing the game at 3-3? Unless he put sedatives in the tea at HT, i'm really not convinced it was Dickov's fault. The subs, with hindsight, weren't the best, but they made sense at the time. Apart from Feeney. I wish he'd f**k off and steal a wage from someone who can afford it. We can complain all we want about the referee (was it Exeter's 1st or 2nd that came from a throw-in that should have been given to us?) but if you throw away a 3-goal lead you have absolutely no-one to blame but yourselves.

Still, on the bright side....we were fantastic 1st half. Aidy White looked superb (according to one of my dirty Leeds mates, he's "like an ugly Gareth Bale"). Winchester did well (first half at least) despite being constantly targeted. After a season of hearing Penney burying his head in the sand and praising the team after awful performances, it's good to see how angry Dickov was. And we're 3 points off 3rd with a game in hand. Onwards and upwards.

It really was difficult to understand the 2nd half performance, we keep getting told that fitness is one of our strengths, and yet we appeared to tire dramatically.The work rate dropped off alarmingly.

Was this fatigue or complacency, as at accrington?

The 3 subs made little impact, and now we have a stronger in depth squad i would have expected them to come on with points to prove. There's no room for passengers in this squad.

Anyway, i prefer to focus on the positive, that was a splendid 1st half performance and hope to carry that forward to rochdale on saturday.

Am I missing something here - did all their goals come from our right hand side? Winchester tripped a player, they missed the subsequent penalty so why are Winchester and Jones being blamed for this defeat when the goals didn't come from them.

Nope if you read it again I never said that.Winchester was tiring (not suprisingly for a youth player who has played two 1st team matches in 4 days), it was obvious to everybody and the reason that many belive they were able to overrun him and unfortunatly for the lad gave the penalty away. the reason many are having a go at Jones was his lack of effort and unwillingness to put his body in when we needed it. When White was on he was still putting in a fair old shift despite starting to fade a little, same goes for Taylor but once the subs were made Exeter felt comfortable enough to go for it as they knew we pose little threat from hitting them on the break.

Its unfair to blame any individual for the defeat. But there were obvious problems in that last 25 minutes.

Drop Stephens. Hes been poor ever since he got his new contract. Stick a magnet in the ball and one in Brills arms because that first goal was fookin pathetic! Then he had the guts to shout at the defence complaining! Feeney, sorry but if he is going to be our main goal getter this season we are fooked. Thats twice i've seen him take it back, instead of attacking, and we have conceded twice from it, if i was Brooke or Kelly i would be demanding answers from PD why that useless lump is getting on instead of them - do fleetwood want another player?

White, Tonk, Furman all looked good, but we missed Lee, especially in last 20, Winchester was out of energy, Nardiello tore him a new hole, Jones offered no protection, can't wait for Morais to come back! Taylor - put some effort in!!! and dont be such a wimp, and shut up getting lippy with the officials.

Credit to Exeter, we was crap all night, only reason we scored 3 in first half was because Exeter hardly challenged us on the times when we got the ball.

Agree with all your post except we were crap all nights = never in a million years were we crap in the first half...have you a short memory - crap is what we watched all last seasin.

Are you Jonesy's Mum?

No i'm just trying to get a bit of perspective here. Jones has played all season out of position for us and done a steady job contributing to our position in the league so this personal onslaught seems very harsh considering other players have been poor consistantly for weeks.

Eggzackerly. We played them off the park, they couldn't get the ball off us!

Nope if you read it again I never said that.Winchester was tiring (not suprisingly for a youth player who has played two 1st team matches in 4 days), it was obvious to everybody and the reason that many belive they were able to overrun him and unfortunatly for the lad gave the penalty away. the reason many are having a go at Jones was his lack of effort and unwillingness to put his body in when we needed it. When White was on he was still putting in a fair old shift despite starting to fade a little, same goes for Taylor but once the subs were made Exeter felt comfortable enough to go for it as they knew we pose little threat from hitting them on the break.

Its unfair to blame any individual for the defeat. But there were obvious problems in that last 25 minutes.

Got to agree, the most annoying thing is that their player who came on down the wing was that Nadeillo that we had on loan last year and he always headed for the goaline, shimmed in the box and got crosses in - why the hell was this not discussed dealt with? know your oppostition.....grrr :ranting:

However, I had a horrible feeling about half time ish that it wasn't going to be a steamrolling result goalscore - even said it to a few friends around me remember the tottenham score at weekend...yikes!!!

Anyway, we are unbeaten at home, but with a hint of caution - drawn too many for my liking

Dale on Sat...Come on!!!

Agree with all your post except we were crap all nights = never in a million years were we crap in the first half...have you a short memory - crap is what we watched all last seasin.

Ok, not crap, i was pissed of alot last night, and not helped today by having to spend hours in hospital, where they was unable to turn the air con ( :ranting: ) but everything we did was magnified by Exeter not pressuring us. Everyone seems to be raving about first half performance, but i feel, that our first half performance against Hudders was alot better than last nights first half despite us taking more chances last night.