yeovil manager abit harsh !

Maybe but he hit probably the crossfield ball of the decade right to the onrushing Paul Warne who played a good ball inside for Lidds to ram home (at the second attempt) our second goal v Hartlepool on NYE 2005 - superb ball fully 60-70 yards and that goal turned out to be the winner.

As many have said, he dropped the odd bollock but his biggest problem was getting out on the meadow every week...

I see those balls all the time. Problem is that I'm so :censored: I wouldn't make one if I was selected for a whole career :wink:

There is a good reason he never established himself as a first choice centre half at Oldham even when he was fit. That reason is that although he may have managed to look a bit classy at times he wasn't actually all that good, more specifically you could rely on him to make at least one catastrophic error every game. And I don't mean a misplaced pass, I mean the kind of mistake that leads directly to a nailed on chance for the opposition.

There is a good reason he never established himself as a first choice centre half at Oldham even when he was fit. That reason is that although he may have managed to look a bit classy at times he wasn't actually all that good, more specifically you could rely on him to make at least one catastrophic error every game. And I don't mean a misplaced pass, I mean the kind of mistake that leads directly to a nailed on chance for the opposition.

Skiverton is slating Stefan Stam, not Ruben Hazell !

You're just suffering the same affliction as most football fans, especially where "favourite" players are concerned - you have some fictional, rose tinted view of how wonderful he was, enhanced by the passage of time since you last saw him play for us.

Hazell did go through a similar spell of one big mistake a game, but he got over it. Stam never did.

You're just suffering the same affliction as most football fans, especially where "favourite" players are concerned - you have some fictional, rose tinted view of how wonderful he was, enhanced by the passage of time since you last saw him play for us.

Hazell did go through a similar spell of one big mistake a game, but he got over it. Stam never did.

he got over it ? when ? i carnt remember him getting over his one big mistake a game. saturday and monday for example.

Well I guess he may have fallen back into it this season - I wouldn't know. :blink:

Besides, I was originally talking about Stam. I didn't compare him to Hazell.

If we're going to make comparisons, I think the fact that Guy Branston kept Stam out of the side says everything.

Every good defender is taught to stay on their feet for as long as possible and not make it easy for the attacker

Stefan used to drop to his arse every game in attempt to make tackles

He had the odd good game but was not an all round good defender

Some people must be getting him mixed up with Jap

It's not often I disagree with Garcon, but I do on this occasion. Stam and Gregan (when he was good first time around) were absolutely imperious together, and Stefan's the reason Hazell looked good a couple of years ago.

It's not often I disagree with Garcon, but I do on this occasion. Stam and Gregan (when he was good first time around) were absolutely imperious together, and Stefan's the reason Hazell looked good a couple of years ago.

The reason we brought Gregan in on loan initially was due to Stam picking up a bad injury. Prior to that injury; Stam had been in imperious form, and anyone who has forgotten that has a pish-poor memory, or has ‘anti-rose tinted specks, in that they don’t want to remember just how well he was playing up to that point.

Once he was fit after the injury, he eventually came back into the side, and once again produced some quality defensive displays.

But, hey-ho – it appears some people rated him highly in his time here, others don’t. We all have our opinions at the end of the day..........it’s just that anyone who thinks he (Stam) wasn’t in great form at that stage is wrong!! :wink:

:grin: It can happen.

I don't honestly think there's much to choose between Stam and Hazell. They're both mediocre League One players. In some ways Stam may have suffered from being a better footballer technically, and being left footed, by being stuck out at left back when he would have gained from more experience in the middle.

Edited by garcon