Dave'Penis'Penney

Taken from a post of BBC606:

Some interesting quotes taken from their messageboard. How familiar does this sound?

"Dave Penney seems to have tightened up the defence... But no Midfield.. we were overun by theirs.. and I hate this long ball forward to two short forwards against four defenders..total rubbish"

"How many shots on target the whole game... do you count k4s trickle towards line in first half.... other than thaty i dont think their goalkeeper had a shot to save..."

"Hoskins and Kuffour worked hard all night but the delivery up to the front men was abysmal. I can't remember us having a 5 minute spell of pressure"

"Penney , I think , set out to not concede"

:grin:

Edited by Killens_physio

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave Penney was pleased to see his side pick up their first clean sheet in 17 games against Hartlepool last night.

Rovers may not have looked great going forward, but new loan signing David McCracken came straight into the team and helped sure up the defence.

The manager now wants to build on the performance and score some goals against Swindon on Saturday.

He told bristolrovers.co.uk: "I have seen three games where we conceded a two, a three and a four, and you will never win football matches if you are playing like that.

"Everyone knows we can play football, but it was important that we did the ugly side.

"It was October since our last clean sheet, so it was vital that we got one in this game to give them some confidence and give them something to build on, it is no good playing pretty football and getting beat every week.

"We have to do better when we have got the ball, we need better link up play and more end product. We have to build on that and try and get some goals on Saturday.

"It looks like they have forgotten how to win games. In the Plymouth game we were 2-0 up and couldn't finish it off. But at least we didn't lose this game or concede a goal.

"It is not going to be pretty, we are going to have to battle and grind ourselves out of the position we are in. I want my team to go into every game and have a battle and a scrap."

The manager was pleased with the impact of new loan signing McCracken, who brought some much needed experience to the back line.

Penney said: "He has vast experience with MK Dons and Wycombe. He is a good leader, a good talker and a good organiser.

"He has played with James Tunnicliffe before at MK, so he did know a little about him and wasn't going in blind. He didn't meet the players until 6pm last night, and came into the side and won man of the match.

"We need more players like that, I am hoping the players I bring in will be exactly the same as Dave McCracken, with experience and know how."

But the manager is frustrated that he has missed out on a couple of targets this week, but will continue to work hard to bring in a few more new faces.

He said: "We missed out on a couple already this week, which is disappointing. One of the players we missed out on has gone to a lower club in a lower division, which is baffling to me, but we move on and we will try and get someone else.

"We need to get another striker as I only have two real strikers in the building, and we cannot keep playing them week in week out. We need some experience.

"I have no doubt that a lot of these young players will be good players, but you have to bring them into the right environment of winning games to let them get their education."

And looking ahead to Saturday, the manager knows that the local derby will be an important game, and he is encouraging his players to think with their heads.

He said: "I am fully aware of local derbies, I have played in the Swansea v Cardiff and Doncaster v Barnsley, so I know what these games are about.

"There will be a great atmosphere here, but the players have got to play with their heads as well as their hearts. It will be real end to end stuff."

A lot of my mates think that most latics fans are idiots and to be honest i stopped disagreeing a while back. That being said i think many football fans are

There are few ways in which Oldham fans are special, and this isn't one of them.

Most Latics fans are stupid, just like most fans of any other club.

Strong rumours on Brizzles msg board that he is after Abbot on loan. I wonder if this is one that fell through? Hopefully he will go for Purdie, Worthington and the rest.

Calvin Zola was one that fell through after he signed for League Two Burton on loan for the rest of the season! Purdie's been out nearly a month with injury!

Won and scored three today. We could well have been a one-off in Penney's career.

Boo. Why dont you just be bitter like the rest of us. Its much more fun. <_<

We've booked the weekend in Bristol. Me and Jorvik were 2 of the very few who renewed when he was still manager. Revenge will still be sweet though!

Good stuff! I can show you the sights!!! (which mainly involve pubs, just to clarify)

I hope he does well and gets them out of the drop zone, bar the game on 19th Feb. I'll be making the regular trip down there with 4 / 5 others for the match and a night out in bristol with a few gas heads.

Boo. Why dont you just be bitter like the rest of us. Its much more fun. <_<

Good stuff! I can show you the sights!!! (which mainly involve pubs, just to clarify)

Good do! We'll be late Friday but up for a meet up Saturday whatever time. We're staying at the holiday inn express.

Hatin' takes up far too much energy. Energy I don't have.

Too right.

I reckon we were Penney's management training course. Start messin' with all the not-past-the-half way line stuff and the fans get on your back. Mix it up alittle and get the results an you will be alright. Still early days yet, maybe the Rovers players have been ignoring Penney's tactics thus far!

Too right.

I reckon we were Penney's management training course. Start messin' with all the not-past-the-half way line stuff and the fans get on your back. Mix it up alittle and get the results an you will be alright. Still early days yet, maybe the Rovers players have been ignoring Penney's tactics thus far!

One game and he's super- manager ?!

Edit: that's not what you said :blush:

Edited by maddog

I hope he does well and gets them out of the drop zone, bar the game on 19th Feb. I'll be making the regular trip down there with 4 / 5 others for the match and a night out in bristol with a few gas heads.

Real bogey ground all away meetings from 1990 (inc 1 at Twerton Park)

P8 W1 D1 L6 F7 A14