Dean Kelly - Irish Rover?

You don't though, you just need official government approved ID, such as a Driving Licence photocard or Identity Card (of course you can use your passport if need be) but I thought you would have known that, having travelled to the Emerald Isle as often as you have? :wink:

Every time I enter Ireland I have to go through 'Passport Control', not 'Government approved ID Control'.

Every time I enter Ireland I have to go through 'Passport Control', not 'Government approved ID Control'.

Do you have to show your passport though or are you simply waved through as being British Nationals? I've been to Ireland twice and can't honestly recall having to show my passport only photo id at check-in…and my boarding card at security.

If you are a citizen of the United Kingdom you don't strictly need a valid passport to travel between the UK and Ireland. It's likely, though, that your airline or sea ferry service will require you to produce some other form of photographic id.

If you are a citizen of any other country which is a Member State of the European Union it may or may not be essential to have a valid passport if you can produce some other form of photographic id which is acceptable to the Immigration Control authorities of both the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom.

Do you have to show your passport though or are you simply waved through as being British Nationals? I've been to Ireland twice and can't honestly recall having to show my passport only photo id at check-in…and my boarding card at security.

If you are a citizen of the United Kingdom you don't strictly need a valid passport to travel between the UK and Ireland. It's likely, though, that your airline or sea ferry service will require you to produce some other form of photographic id.

If you are a citizen of any other country which is a Member State of the European Union it may or may not be essential to have a valid passport if you can produce some other form of photographic id which is acceptable to the Immigration Control authorities of both the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom.

On approaching Passport Control, all passengers are told to have their passport open at the appropriate page. There is no separate entry point based on nationalty. There is no indication of what is acceptable in lieu of a passport.

In my case the only other photo ID I have is a bus pass, and I wouldn't expect that to be acceptable. :grin:

On approaching Passport Control, all passengers are told to have their passport open at the appropriate page. There is no separate entry point based on nationalty. There is no indication of what is acceptable in lieu of a passport.

In my case the only other photo ID I have is a bus pass, and I wouldn't expect that to be acceptable. :grin:

If that's the only ID you have then you'll have to use your passport. But driving licence is acceptable, and so is an EU ID card. How do I know? I went to Dublin for my stag do in 2006 and two of my mates didn't bring their passports, one had his licence the other an ID card (Short-lived scheme but hey-ho) and there were no problems they were waved through no problems at all. Me and the wife did the same later that year. Both times we flew with Ryan Air.

The extract I posted was from a foreign office advisory page…of course it is just as easy to take your passport but is not essential for entry into Ireland..

UK citizens do not require a passport or visa to enter Ireland, but most carriers by air or sea now require some form of identification with photograph (usually either a passport or driving licence with photo). Visitors are advised to check what form of ID is required with the individual airline, ferry company, tour operator or travel agent before travelling.

Non UK nationals must have a valid passport or national identity card as appropriate.

Citizens living within the EU and most other Western countries including Australia, Canada, New Zealand and South Africa do not require visas.

All other countries should contact their local Irish Embassy/Consulate prior to travelling to the Republic of Ireland, and visitors to Northern Ireland should contact their local British Embassy/High Commission or Consular Office.

If that's the only ID you have then you'll have to use your passport. But driving licence is acceptable, and so is an EU ID card. How do I know? I went to Dublin for my stag do in 2006 and two of my mates didn't bring their passports, one had his licence the other an ID card (Short-lived scheme but hey-ho) and there were no problems they were waved through no problems at all. Me and the wife did the same later that year. Both times we flew with Ryan Air.

The extract I posted was from a foreign office advisory page…of course it is just as easy to take your passport but is not essential for entry into Ireland..

UK citizens do not require a passport or visa to enter Ireland, but most carriers by air or sea now require some form of identification with photograph (usually either a passport or driving licence with photo). Visitors are advised to check what form of ID is required with the individual airline, ferry company, tour operator or travel agent before travelling.

Non UK nationals must have a valid passport or national identity card as appropriate.

Citizens living within the EU and most other Western countries including Australia, Canada, New Zealand and South Africa do not require visas.

All other countries should contact their local Irish Embassy/Consulate prior to travelling to the Republic of Ireland, and visitors to Northern Ireland should contact their local British Embassy/High Commission or Consular Office.

Next Time I go through Passport Control, I'll point out to the Officers on duty the error of their ways in not spelling out the alternative acceptable documents. B)

I think Kellys main flaw as a player was his lack of awareness of what is going on around him, when a ball was coming into the box Kelly wouldn't attack the ball as much as what other strikers try to do, I think it was down to the fact Latics would of played at a much higher tempo than the previous club he was at

but good luck to the guy I say

Next Time I go through Passport Control, I'll point out to the Officers on duty the error of their ways in not spelling out the alternative acceptable documents. B)

Please do, I'm sure a man of your advanced years needs his prostate examining on a regular basis.

Having said that there was some French bloke who was on a Barcelona-Stanstead flight with me who got let into the country before I did with an out-of-date identity card.

It seems the nationals of other countries in the EU often travel between other member states on something other than their passport. I wonder if I need to carry the paper bit of my driving license too though. Plus, when you carry your passport you can proudly say it is printed in Oldham (but the contract is soon to run out).

Dean Kelly has signed for Shamrock Rovers, in time to join the squad on a week-long intensive training camp. They spent the weekend at top-class training facilities, which have been used by clubs such as Real Madrid and Newcastle United, and they will play pre-season friendlies against Killarney Celtic and Cork, before taking on a Celtic XI next Monday.

Good luck as a Hoop, Dean! Mrs Sideburns and I will be coming to see you.

• 8 months later...

Shamrock Rovers clinched the League of Ireland Premier League Title last night in a dramatic fairy tale ending to the penultimate game of the season. Dean Kelly, who has been injured since 12th August, was brought on from the bench in the 80th minute. In the last of the four minutes of stoppage time, Kelly was on hand to tap home the winner. :first:

• 3 months later...

Dean Kelly gained 'legend' status when he scored the goal for Shamrock Rovers that won the Championship last season, but he played his last game for Rovers in a pre-season friendly yesterday. He’s leaving the club because he can't fit training in the mornings around his work schedule.

Oh for the comparatively easy life of a full-time player.