Dickovs side at it's best v Shez's side at it's best?

Oldham 4-0 Hartlepool

v

Oldham 5-0 Forest

?????????????????

discuss :grin:

Hartlepool had 10 11 men all game. I'd say Oldham's game against Gillngham when we beat them 4-1 was Shez's team finest performance.

Edited by Macca

Oldham 4-0 Hartlepool

v

Oldham 5-0 Forest

?????????????????

last night was good but some people are going way over board. it was far from our finest performance under dickov we just had the end product. finest performance in front of goal under dickov maybe but not finest performance. the big thing that i took from last night was that even when we werent playing at our best we managed a 4-0 victory over a decent mid table team who battered us away

last night was good but some people are going way over board. it was far from our finest performance under dickov we just had the end product. finest performance in front of goal under dickov maybe but not finest performance. the big thing that i took from last night was that even when we werent playing at our best we managed a 4-0 victory over a decent mid table team who battered us away

i thought the passing, flicks, backheels, skinning of full backs was great to watch

I suppose you could argue beating a better team in Huddersfield was a "better" performance but last nights was surely the most entertaining?

Oldham 4-0 Hartlepool

v

Oldham 5-0 Forest

?????????????????

(or to put it differently, the Oldham side that beat Hartlepool 4-0 v the Oldham side that beat Forest 5-0)

I thoroughly enjoyed last night but Shez had the team ice-skating around the pitch against Forest they were so damned slick.

I have noticed a similarity between both games though: -

Chris Taylor fit and on form.

i thought the passing, flicks, backheels, skinning of full backs was great to watch

I suppose you could argue beating a better team in Huddersfield was a "better" performance but last nights was surely the most entertaining?

well ye i thought hudds was a better performance, first half against exeter. plymouth at home we were exelant all round. and the notts county game was a good performance.

it was entertaining last night but again i think we have played better and i think we will play better acroos the remainder of the season. as for link ups flicks and tricks huddersfiled game wins by a country mile

Porter or Tounkara - hate to say it, but Porter :unsure:

Wellens or Stephens - Wellens

Haining or Hazel - hmmmm

Eardley or Lee - Lee

Liddell or Morais - :lol:

Pogliacomi or Amos - Amos

Wierd isnt it , Eardley is flying high in the Prem yet you would still prefer Lee in our team

I thoroughly enjoyed last night but Shez had the team ice-skating around the pitch against Forest they were so damned slick.

I have noticed a similarity between both games though: -

Chris Taylor fit and on form.

<_<

1 player still common to both them performances as well :grin:

you'd have to play a bit of either or with certain players

Porter or Tounkara - Porter <_<

Wellens or Stephens - Wellens

Haining or Hazel - Meh, Ruben hasnt sold us down the river unlike Haining

Eardley or Lee - Eardley, which is no slight on Lee who is playing fantastic at the moment but...

Liddell or Morais - Morais, and i've always been a fan of Liddell

Pogliacomi or Amos - Amos

Oldham 4-0 Hartlepool

v

Oldham 5-0 Forest

?????????????????

The game on NYD 2007 was an even affair until the Sammy Clingan walked for an elbow, after that we upped our game and outworked, out-fought, out-thought and absolutely outplayed Forest. Shez's team in 2007 had the right blend of youth and experience if a couple too many 30 somethings. We had goals throughout the team and two real stoppers at the heart of defence. We didn't really have a tackler in midfield preferring Macca and Wellens to play high up the pitch. We did over rely at times on Porter's goals and when it did start to go wrong no one really stepped up to the plate.

The team now, is a little too youthful imo. That's not a crticism but it will be interesting to see what happens if we only win 1 in 8 like Shez's team did during February and March 2007. Will we have the experience to power through? I must admit though I've been watching Latics for 25 years and although Joe's team was full of pace and power the amount in Dicky's team is ridiculous. It's great to watch, but although Shez's team failed in 2007 they did go on a fabulous mid-season run - a similar run will see us where we want to be.

Man for man comparisons of The Team v Forest versus Last night's starting line-up

Pogs v Amos: Pogs was capable of mind-blowing brilliance and face-palmingly incompetence. Whilst not as good as 02/03 in the 06/07 Play Off year, he was pretty reliable until his late season crisis of confidence. Young Amos has only been at the club 3 weeks, but has confidence that belies his years and we do look (Southampton apart) much more secure in the goalkeeping position since his arrival. He commands his area and his nifty juggling skills last night show the lad's confidence. BUT Pogs shades it on his greater experience.

Eardley v Lee: Eards was a young kid playing his first full season of League One, however he proved himself mobile, good in the tackle with a very good cross. He progressed and is not a Premier League regular. Lee took his time in getting going at BP and has steadily got better over the last 18 months. He looked particularly good defensively last night. BOth kids are full of potential. Eardley worked has worked his way up. Kieran has had to take a step dow. Won't be long before BOTH are playing on the Prem. I'll call this one a draw

Haining v Rubes: Haining was always a threat in the oppositions box, but often lost his man at set-pieces. Not too dissimilar to Rubes. Haining was a good servant when fit and was involved in two Play Off seasons. Rubes is quiet and unassuming on the field, sometimes he is a little too casual but is better on the ball than Haining and must be doing something right by keeping his place in this vibrant young team. So Rubes shades it!

Greegs v Trotman - As well as Trotters has done, Gregan wins it no contest!

Evina v Charlton - Difficult one this, as Charlton oozed class and was a real steady Eddie for us linking well and encouraging and cajoling the very raw Taylor. Evina has pace to burn and is a real attacking threat, can score goals and play on the wing, I'll give this one Evina simply because he is more exciting to watch.

Liddell v White: Lidds was criticised for his lack of effort at times but the amount of assists, goals and pens he contributed this year made him an invaluable member of the team. White is a young kid but seems to have an instinct of hanging around the back post - he's scored 3 (of his 4) goals in 7 games already by gambling in this way and he can beat people for fun. White again shades it on youth.

Wellens v Stephens: Wellens, got it all and has improved immeasurably since moving into the Championship and capable of winning a game on his own. Stephens is still raw but doing a great job, if he learnt to take stock and use the time he has he could be amazing. So Wellens..

MacDonald v Furman: Macca chipped in with invaluable goals, not least in the two games with Scunny. Let himself down when we didn't have the ball but a decent foil for Wellens. But it's Furman for me, wins the ball, wins it back, tackles and can pick a pass and has added goals to his game. So Furman gets the nod.

Taylor v Taylor: Chris was very raw and much more slight this year, he had pace to burn but often the end product was lacking. He has matured, particularly this season and now knows his role in the team - he's the talisman the man that we look to make things happen. So I'll take Taylor 2011

Porter v Tonk - Porter despite being a money grabbing :censored:-house scored every type of goal, header, volleys, one on ones, drives, hitting his arse and going in - he held the ball well too. Tonk is very raw, has lots of strength and a real turn of pace BUT he needs more goals so :censored:-house Porter scrapes in.

Morais v Warne: Warne was a cult-hero, workmanlike and tenacious with the odd flashes of brilliance (Cheltenham away) but when he wasn't scoring his influence was minimal. Morais is in for me as he is an enigma. He doesn't know himself what he is going to do next. The man can win a game on his own with a moment of brilliance.

The team of 06/07 was capable of putting together long winning runs before going off the boil and struggling in the final third. This team (Seems to be) is consistent, they don't let things get to them regroup and face the next challenge head on and as a team.

As for the managers, Shez failed in 06/07 as he wasn't assertive or pro-active enough in bringing in striking and goalkeeping cover. We ended up with the very average Blayney and Glombard, out of form and facing the runaway juggernaught that was Blackpool - I can't see Dickov making those mistakes and a glance at the squad this year confirms that with cover throughout the squad.

So Dickov despite his relative inexperience shades the managerial head to head for turning things round at BP this year no matter what happens:-

My team

Pogs

Eardley

Rubes

Greegs

Evina

White

Wellens

Furman

Taylor 2011

Porter

Morais

Manager: Dickov

Edited by oafcprozac

I think whilst we were clinical last night, it was actually far from our best performance under PD.

I'd rank the games against Notts County, Huddersfiled & Exeter (for 80mins!) as better all round team performances. That's not saying I didnt thoroughly enjoy last night, because I did - it's just that whilst we won 4-0, it was far from our best game of the season.

I said a while ago that when it 'clicked' this season, we would give someone an absolute SMASHING (thanks Mr Keys).....I dont think we have quite clicked yet, but it's not far off, and neither is the smashing we're going to give someone, as that wasn't it last night; we'll do better than that before the season is out.....

I think whilst we were clinical last night, it was actually far from our best performance under PD.

I'd rank the games against Notts County, Huddersfiled & Exeter (for 80mins!) as better all round team performances. That's not saying I didnt thoroughly enjoy last night, because I did - it's just that whilst we won 4-0, it was far from our best game of the season.

I said a while ago that when it 'clicked' this season, we would give someone an absolute SMASHING (thanks Mr Keys).....I dont think we have quite clicked yet, but it's not far off, and neither is the smashing we're going to give someone, as that wasn't it last night; we'll do better than that before the season is out.....

for the first 50 minutes or so I'd agree with you which was quite nervy, once we got that second and certainly after the third it was champagne football...

exactly.

we've played better but we finally put away the chances we had which we havent been doing previously. the hudds, county, exeter games have hasd better performances but last night we played well enough to win and scored 4 goals in the process.

edit - i enjoyed the forest game more because they were the big team and we weren't expected to win, so to win 5-0 against a top side was better IMO

Edited by oafc-latics