Simon Corney has stark news for Latics Fans!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read the Chron in ASDA (refuse to buy it), he's sickened by the whole thing at can't bare to go the the game tomorrow or even come to the town of Oldham again.

Games over folks, Rochdale can barely cope with Football and Rugby let alone another Football team.

Tell me this is a :whoosh:

Just read the Chron in ASDA (refuse to buy it), he's sickened by the whole thing at can't bare to go the the game tomorrow or even come to the town of Oldham again.

Games over folks, Rochdale can barely cope with Football and Rugby let alone another Football team.

That's what he predicts will happen. Nothing is definate yet. But it is very worrying indeed.

On the front of the Chron it says that Corney predicts there'll be no League football at BP next season.

Could be posturing to get Blitz back on board (he's the big loser if adminsitration is on the cards).

Could be that a ground share contingency had always been in place with Rochdale.

Could be a way of trying to put pressure on the council to resolve things faster.

Here's what I think:

1) Oldham Athletic will continue trading.

2) They will play at Spotland until the new stadium saga unwinds - who knows how long?

If I'm right - and I'm out of town at the moment so haven't read the Chron - all of us as fans have an absolute duty to respond positively and get right behind OUR team wherever we play. The future depends on all of us helping the team get through the present.

When are the local elections? Is there a case for a Latics stadium candidate in any ward?

My way of viewing this is that Simon Corney is looking to embarrass the council and to provoke a reaction from them. We have seen him make this kind of statement in the past.

We need to get everybody to Boundary Park tomorrow, to show support for the manager and to show that there is a real, passionate desire for a professional team in the town of Oldham.

Oldham Chronicle - That's it, we're off

Seething Simon says there's no will to carry on at crumbling Boundary Park

LEAGUE football will not take place at Boundary Park next season as the full implications of the collapse of the plans for a new stadium are realised.

That is the stark prediction of "sickened" Latics chairman Simon Corney as he struggles to come to terms with the fact that 18-months of work towards a move to a £20 million new facility at Failsworth has hit the Charity Commission buffers.

Corney says there is "just not the will" to carry on with football at the dilapidated old ground beyond the end of their current season and that he is now exploring every option - including ground-sharing outside of Oldham.

"I am afraid the writing isw on the wall for us. What else is there for us in Oldham? A brand new stadium on the Boundary Park site is just not an option - nobody is coming along with £20 million with to build it.

"I have been in contact with a whole host of organisations - no avenue is off limits. What I refuse to do is put the club into administration.

"Of course fans will be angry at some of the decisions we have taken regarding the current ground, but we have taken all of these with the best of intentions. - a new permanent home with improved facilities - but it has not been enough to secure a long-term futurefor the club in Oldham.

"Do we really want to go through this whole process again and again in Oldham - £35,000 for plans here, £20,000 for environmental reports there and what for - all for nothing, just bills, bills and more bills."

The only remaining member of the Three Amigos who took charge of the club back in 2003 to still be at the club, Corney said they had pumped £14 million into Latics and were also now faced with the problem of owning the Lancaster Club land - they paid £3 million - with little hope of a return.

Corney, speaking exclusively to the Chronicle from London, said that he was so sickened that he would not be coming to tomorrow's game with Dagenham and Redbridge: "I feel personally shattered. I am not looking for sympathy but I just cannot face coming to the town. That is sad because the new-look team under Paul Dickov is doing fantastically well. I just feel that I have to stay away and reflect on how I deal with this from here on."

I don't post often on this board, tend to be more of a reader, but after reading the chron i feel so fked off at the moment. Watching other clubs around the country with there forward thinking councils, moving into new stadiums i.e Chesterfield. Whilst we carry on in this delapadated stadium, yet have been trying for a new ground for years, but constantly having obsticles thrown in the way. I'm taking my daughter to her 1st game tomorrow she's 5, and i seriously worry that shortly we'll have no football team left in the town to support. No football team, no Cinema just as backward council that has no vision.

If think the question we now need to ask is: What do the council lose without Oldham Athletic? They get a nice new housing estate and a lot less hassle...?

From the people they've messed about for years? I don't think Corney & Co would like to do business with the council ever again.

We need to get everybody to Boundary Park tomorrow, to show support for the manager and to show that there is a real, passionate desire for a professional team in the town of Oldham.

Start rounding up the lapsed, the young, supporters of other teams, Grandad who's not been since 1975.

Get all of them on board.

Pack the fecking place out.

Please.

If think the question we now need to ask is: What do the council lose without Oldham Athletic? They get a nice new housing estate and a lot less hassle...?

This is very true... Other than a couple of embarrassing headlines the plight of the club is not a big deal to the council.

in short , no team called latics if we go into admin

That's a silly thing to say, possible but if we go into admin maybe there'll be another knight to buy the club again.

Corney has said he won't put the club into admin so we need to see his next move.

I don't post often on this board, tend to be more of a reader, but after reading the chron i feel so fked off at the moment. Watching other clubs around the country with there forward thinking councils, moving into new stadiums i.e Chesterfield. Whilst we carry on in this delapadated stadium, yet have been trying for a new ground for years, but constantly having obsticles thrown in the way. I'm taking my daughter to her 1st game tomorrow she's 5, and i seriously worry that shortly we'll have no football team left in the town to support. No football team, no Cinema just as backward council that has no vision.

Excellent. I hope she has a cracking time. I often think back to the thoughts and feelings I experience on my first visit to Boundary Park.

I agree with the rest of your post too.

Start rounding up the lapsed, the young, supporters of other teams, Grandad who's not been since 1975.

Get all of them on board.

Pack the fecking place out.

Please.

Agreed. If you go to away games "cos the atmosphere is better" - Make some noise at home and there wont be many away games left without people through the door - starting tomorrow. Go tomorrow and vs Carlisle. Not vs huddersfield. If only 1000 go to the gayfarm and 6 turn up tomorrow - I'll be happy.

Edited by pukka

Come to Oldham and enjoy a town with

No football team.

Nearly no pro rugby league team.

No cinema

No bowling alley

No ice rink

The most expensive takeaways in Britain due to a new Levy.

No decent shops in the town centre

No Town Hall

No leadership with half a bollock.

Chesterfield and their B2 Net Stadium is mentioned in the Chron article as well!

No avenue is off limit is one other headline - but then says a groundshare with Rochdale is unlikely. It also mentions junction 22 at Hollinwood as Oldham's major regeneration area!

John Battye - remember him - thinks the CC decision set any plans back 18 months to 2 years.

That's a silly thing to say, possible but if we go into admin maybe there'll be another knight to buy the club again.

Corney has said he won't put the club into admin so we need to see his next move.

not many people about with extra cash to buy a club like ours :disappointed:

On top of what macca posted

- Groundshare with rochdale remains an option but is unlikely

- The club are preparing a damning dossier and depending on what happens in the next 48 hours, are preparing to go public with a complete dossier of the mess

- Have the minutes of every meeting, decisions and promises made going back four or five years.

- Still waiting to hear the views of Charlie Parker

- Charity comission's report is a 'scathing' attack on the way the council dealt with the plans

- The council did not consider the impact of a 20 million pound stadium on the value of the land

- Batye said this has set the stadium plans back 18 months to 2 years

- Cllr Jim McMahon lays the blame firmly at the councils door, as genuine concerns were 'laughed at'