Being an 'Oldhamer'

I know I got a few of the Oldham loyalists' backs up last night with my comments last night and whilst I stand by the opinions of the town I have lived, gone to school and worked in all my life - along with my father and my grandfather and most of my family on both sides and to be honest I do want to redress the balance little.

I grew up on Fitton Hill, Crete Street Estate, Limeside and Sholver before moving to Chadderton when I was 14 and I have pretty much lived here ever since. In the Summer Holidays I'd spend most of my time either at Daisy Nook or Crime View lake, Alexandra Park, Park Bridge or Grains Bar. Life was tough growing up on Oldham's council estates throughout the 80s, most people had very little but we were lucky - my stepdad was a grafter and we had more than most tbh. I loved living there as the people were genuine, yes there were a few scumbags but the place policed itself, there's an old saying 'You don't :censored: on your own doorstep', and most never did.

I remember getting dragged up town a lot with my mum walking through the maze that was St. Peter's Precint, it had an eerieness about it! Who can ever forget the wind hitting you at the corner near C & A in the winter? I remember my dad and stepdad teaching me from an early age - you follow Latics and The Rugby, no-one else. I was 9 when I went to my first game in November 1986, it was overwhelming of my senses - of noise, colour and smell - that had me hooked right from the start. I was so cold that I was frozen to the spot, I had never been so cold in my life my feet were like ice blocks but I wanted more it was like a drug!

As a kid I was proud to be from Oldham, we had the world famous Tommyfield Market and two professional sports teams that often punched well above their weight. The town was the birthplace of Louise Brown - the world's first test tube baby delivered by Dr. Patrick Steptoe (incidently according to my mother the guy who delivered me!), the town that had provided a procession of stars to the stage and screen. The town that drove the cotton industry, and was world renowned for its engineering industry.

Now i'm not going to into the reasons for Oldham's decline of which there are many, and as a historian I could debate long and hard into the night. But somewhere along the line Oldham lost its focus, there was a bit of a resurgence in the late 80s with the beginning of projects such as The Spindles and The 6th Form College and the refurbishment and extension of our hospital - the next phase was to be a new home for Oldham Athletic, the the progress stalled. The town seemed to suffer from an identity crisis. The town has traditionally been run by Labour or Liberal councils, what we have seen from the early 90s in particular is the council being passed between the two like a hot potato with the potato not in the hands long enough to cool down and be consumed.

There’s been some excellent regeneration schemes put forward, especially for the ailing town centre – but for whatever reason have been scrapped or are still on the back-burner due to lack of finances and will. Fairs fair though the council has delivered in respect of the new library and art gallery which are excellent facilities and the new Chadderton well-being centre. The refurbishment of Alexandra Park whilst expensive is a superb upgrade to Oldham’s ‘flagship’ leisure space.

Sadly though when you look around the town, much of it is in decay and within that description I include many of my fellow townsfolk. Too many in the town simply exist, thinking the world owes them a living, feeling sorry for themselves and blaming everyone but themselves for their situation. It was this mentality that I believe allowed the Rugby League Club to wither and die, yes they have regained a little of their identity but it can never be what it was at Watersheddings. (I campaigned, wrote letters and protested against the move but we were a small minority) The council were partly to blame, but the town sat back and let it happen. I couldn’t bring myself to be as involved in a Phoenix Club and chose to watch my RL elsewhere. Becoming more of a well wisher that gets to a couple of Oldham RL games per season

Similarly, the town for whatever reason has sat back and let its football club become a shadow of what Jimmy Frizzell and Joe Royle worked so hard to achieve, the apathy and spitefulness I hear directed at the club is wrong! I know Oldham has a lot of floating support but many in the town take great pride at their sneering attitude towards the club. The Rugby Fans in particular. I’ve never understood this, we’re all Oldhamers surely we want all Sport in Oldham to succeed?

The situation with the football club’s ground could be the final nail in Oldham’s coffin for me. Oldham Athletic has done more for the profile of the town than town has ever done for the club. When the club was in financial difficulties twice in the last decade it took strangers from outside the town to rescue the club. There are plenty of wealthy people from Oldham but rather than invest in local sport they choose to spend their money elsewhere. (Which is their right) They may have made their millions from the town but don’t want to give something back. Ok this is increasingly the model football club ownership is following with consortia from afar taking interest in clubs at all levels but even when the club was crippled no one locally came forward with significant investment. (Ok some of our wealthier fans donated four and five figures I know well done to them)

If Oldham Athletic leave the town even temporarily, it will be the town’s final failure, a town that allowed itself to become devoid of leisure facilities, a cinema, a bowling alley etc… a town that has allowed itself to be swamped with unsightly takeaways and cheap pound shops. A town were people would rather sit on their arses and lose their football club instead of fighting for their birth right of being able to watch professional football in their town.

The council have failed on many occasions with high-profile projects in the borough, the attitude of ‘we cannot do this because…’ has to stop, and us as residents have to let them know en masse that we will not put up with their lame excuses and incompetence any longer.

Oldham Athletic have 9 home games left this season (hopefully 10), what better way to stick two fingers at those who hold the club back by getting down to Boundary Park and swelling the gate, showing the council and Simon Corney that football has a future in Oldham – if you don’t you may not have that chance EVER again….Come on Oldham, make me proud again….

To those proud Oldhamers that I offended with my outburst last night I apologise, it is your right to be proud of your home town. I am proud of my roots and proud of my Oldham past I simply cannot take pride in what the town has become and hopefully my future will not be in this backward borough….

Edited by oafcprozac

As an exile I can only echo your comment about the fact Oldham Athletic has done more for the town than the town has done for the club.

The preception of Oldham when you said where you are from changed being a grim Northern town to Oldham Athletic.

It's not just Oldham Council, past Directors and managers must have some of the blame, but the council has obstructed in the past, and the current regime has been incmpetent or arrogant or both.

EDIT, I have to say that I have omitted the fact the council bought the stadium, and it is important to note this in the interests of balance, so the Council cannot be castigated completely.

Edited by singe

Nice sentiments and very poignant, alas the people who need to read this and react won't.

The vast majority of posters on this board do attend matches and are the lifeblood of this club, the town has changed for many reasons over the last 20 odd years.

You only have to look around the markets, shopping centres and streets to see that we're now a multi cultural town and alas the Asian population have no interest in our football and rugby roots. It doesn't take a genius to work out that if one race of people's numbers increase then another race's numbers will decrease, this sadly is the case in Oldham.

Add to that the economy, no investment in the town, long established businesses, mills etc, closed up and gone and the piss poor offering of a team we've had for the last few years, therein lies your answer.

It's a sorry state of affairs but sadly it's the reality, unless some serious head the ball with a bank balance of multi millions takes us on board then the writing's on the wall.

Sadly, that's the measure of what we're facing!!

I'm not from Oldham.

I live here because Mrs o4u is from Oldham. No other reason. There's not a hope in hell that I would have moved to the town as a single man.

I suppose my son is Oldham born and bred. In the maternity ward minutes after he first appeared I took him to the window and showed him Boundary Park. No idea why. I wasn't a Latic. I loved my football but had no allegience to the town or its team.

Despite my own apathy back then, the last few years have seen him fall in love with Latics. I can't think of anything else in the town that he has a passion for. He enjoys his life and makes the most of the opportunities that he has. But other than football, the things he enjoys in life don't need the town. For him, the town offers him nothing more than a match once a fortnight.

I've never told him that he has to be an Oldham Athletic fan. It is his choice and his choice alone. Despite the lack of success on the pitch there has probably been nothing better in my life than 90 minutes a fortnight enjoying the experience of Oldham Athletic with him sat next to me. Even if it's a dour 0-0 draw with Yeovil. Or chucking it down with rain as it is while I type this.

I've fallen in love. Married. Had career successes. Worked hard to be financially secure. Attended the games of many football teams. Seen Liverpool win the title. Cantona, Robson, Giggs play for Man United. Stockport win at Wembley. I've never seen Oldham win anything more than a match.

Yet my favourite place in the world is somewhere near the back of the Rochdale Road End on matchday. It's often cold. The faciltiies are limited and the food is over priced and poor. The toilets are basic. And the football has been known to disappoint more often than it excites. But there is nowhere better. If that special place is moved to Failsworth, Clayton Playing Fields, Coal Pit Lane, a local farm then I am happy to move with it.

Oldham Athletic is significantly more important in my life than Oldham Council. Oldham Athletic is significantly more important in my son's life than a town that offers him little now and little in his future.

Those elected to and working for the council really do need to look at the bolded statement and think about it for more than a moment. What do they really deliver for the people of this town that brings the same amount of joy as the town's primary sporting club? They really do need to look in the mirror and justify their reason for being.

It's time for those in the local authority to respond proactively and professionally in finding a solution that works for the people of Oldham, the football club in Oldham and the followers of that football club.

This is a sporting town that has produced England captains in cricket and football and that heritage must not be allowed to wither.

Edited by opinions4u

I think we were all emotional yesterday, me too.

I have always been proud to say I was an "yonner" even on holidays with my manc friends it was your from Manchester...no I am from Oldham.

Yet in the last few years and more now since this sorry state of affairs, I am ashamed to be associated with this town, not the club, this town.

I don't know how us few are going to stop the inevitable, I don't have many ideas, but if I need to stand shoulder to shoulder with you all on a wet day in BP to matching across town I will.

I will give us as much time and effort as I can.

"you've cost us our club, you've cost us our cllluubbbbbbbb, stupid Oldham council, you've cost us our club......"

We need a think tank for ideas, we need to contact all these famous Oldhamers and get them on board. we are one of the founders of football in this country surely we must have some protection rights.

Like you opinions, my hubby is not from here but has adopted us. He decided a long time ago that his boyhood club of manure had let him down with regards to the Glaziers and terraces and so, I brought him to bp a couple of seasons ago when JR took over for the Tranmere game. Although we lost and we were a might but select few fans, he was hooked, just like Prozac and I were in the 80's. He is now a ST holder and has made many firm friends that he did not have just moving in to the area. OAFC has given him a new social life.

With regards to family, my three nephews are first time and now it seems last time season ticket holders, my niece has started to attend too. I don't want them to say we were there at the end but if it is the end at least they can say of their generation that they were there at the end and I don't think many could of their generation could from this town.

I hope three points today will all lift us for the long road ahead. I was thinking of a new tattoo the other day, it maybe RIP OAFC.

Edited by underdog

I think we were all emotional yesterday, me too.

I have always been proud to say I was an "yonner" even on holidays with my manc friends it was your from Manchester...no I am from Oldham.

Yet in the last few years and more now since this sorry state of affairs, I am ashamed to be associated with this town, not the club, this town.

I don't know how us few are going to stop the inevitable, I don't have many ideas, but if I need to stand shoulder to shoulder with you all on a wet day in BP to matching across town I will.

I will give us as much time and effort as I can.

"you've cost us our club, you've cost us our cllluubbbbbbbb, stupid Oldham council, you've cost us our club......"

We need a think tank for ideas, we need to contact all these famous Oldhamers and get them on board. we are one of the founders of football in this country surely we must have some protection rights.

Like you opinions, my hubby is not from here but has adopted us. He decided a long time ago that his boyhood club of manure had let him down with regards to the Glaziers and terraces and so, I brought him to bp a couple of seasons ago when JR took over for the Tranmere game. Although we lost and we were a might but select few fans, he was hooked, just like Prozac and I were in the 80's. He is now a ST holder and has made many firm friends that he did not have just moving in to the area. OAFC has given him a new social life.

With regards to family, my three nephews are first time and now it seems last time season ticket holders, my niece has started to attend too. I don't want them to say we were there at the end but if it is the end at least they can say of their generation that they were there at the end and I don't think many could of their generation could from this town.

I hope three points today will all lift us for the long road ahead. I was thinking of a new tattoo the other day, it maybe RIP OAFC.

"you've cost us our club, you've cost us our cluuubbbbbb, you short-sighted bastards, you've cost us our club….

Love Oafc, love oafccccccccccc, hate ombc, love Oafc….

I too have no connection with Oldham as a town. I was born and bred in the midlands but caught the bug in 80s when I saw OAFC as the away team and followed them ever since.

Since then and especially early 90s I've met many who mirror my path to supporting the club. These people come to OL1 purely for the football but then spend money in the town, in the shops and in the hotels.

I predict success again ON the pitch and others from outside the town will make the same journey.

What I'm trying to say is that the town DOES need the club more than the club needs the town so I hope the council and Oldham folk realise this too. Do what you can to maintain the club's home in the town - even by turning up for every remaining home game for this season. Promotion will put the club and town back on the map, enticing people back and what's more crucial than a stadium that not only does the town proud but generates income and provides facilities to the town when there isn't a match.

Some good poats on here

As a non Oldhamer I think its imperative for the clubs identity we stay in Oldham we should fight to keep the club alive in Oldham doing so. Abandoning town is like running away from the problem

Oldham is not where I am from but its where my roots are my dads from there and feels angry about how the town has declined in recent years through bad leadership.

Nevertheless the principle factor of Oldham athletic is that its the towns team.

We stay and we fight with unwavering tenacity to make a proffesional football club work in Oldham

Edited by GlossopLatic

I know I got a few of the Oldham loyalists' backs up last night with my comments last night and whilst I stand by the opinions of the town I have lived, gone to school and worked in all my life - along with my father and my grandfather and most of my family on both sides and to be honest I do want to redress the balance little.

I grew up on Fitton Hill, Crete Street Estate, Limeside and Sholver before moving to Chadderton when I was 14 and I have pretty much lived here ever since. In the Summer Holidays I'd spend most of my time either at Daisy Nook or Crime View lake, Alexandra Park, Park Bridge or Grains Bar. Life was tough growing up on Oldham's council estates throughout the 80s, most people had very little but we were lucky - my stepdad was a grafter and we had more than most tbh. I loved living there as the people were genuine, yes there were a few scumbags but the place policed itself, there's an old saying 'You don't :censored: on your own doorstep', and most never did.

I remember getting dragged up town a lot with my mum walking through the maze that was St. Peter's Precint, it had an eerieness about it! Who can ever forget the wind hitting you at the corner near C & A in the winter? I remember my dad and stepdad teaching me from an early age - you follow Latics and The Rugby, no-one else. I was 9 when I went to my first game in November 1986, it was overwhelming of my senses - of noise, colour and smell - that had me hooked right from the start. I was so cold that I was frozen to the spot, I had never been so cold in my life my feet were like ice blocks but I wanted more it was like a drug!

As a kid I was proud to be from Oldham, we had the world famous Tommyfield Market and two professional sports teams that often punched well above their weight. The town was the birthplace of Louise Brown - the world's first test tube baby delivered by Dr. Patrick Steptoe (incidently according to my mother the guy who delivered me!), the town that had provided a procession of stars to the stage and screen. The town that drove the cotton industry, and was world renowned for its engineering industry.

Now i'm not going to into the reasons for Oldham's decline of which there are many, and as a historian I could debate long and hard into the night. But somewhere along the line Oldham lost its focus, there was a bit of a resurgence in the late 80s with the beginning of projects such as The Spindles and The 6th Form College and the refurbishment and extension of our hospital - the next phase was to be a new home for Oldham Athletic, the the progress stalled. The town seemed to suffer from an identity crisis. The town has traditionally been run by Labour or Liberal councils, what we have seen from the early 90s in particular is the council being passed between the two like a hot potato with the potato not in the hands long enough to cool down and be consumed.

There’s been some excellent regeneration schemes put forward, especially for the ailing town centre – but for whatever reason have been scrapped or are still on the back-burner due to lack of finances and will. Fairs fair though the council has delivered in respect of the new library and art gallery which are excellent facilities and the new Chadderton well-being centre. The refurbishment of Alexandra Park whilst expensive is a superb upgrade to Oldham’s ‘flagship’ leisure space.

Sadly though when you look around the town, much of it is in decay and within that description I include many of my fellow townsfolk. Too many in the town simply exist, thinking the world owes them a living, feeling sorry for themselves and blaming everyone but themselves for their situation. It was this mentality that I believe allowed the Rugby League Club to wither and die, yes they have regained a little of their identity but it can never be what it was at Watersheddings. (I campaigned, wrote letters and protested against the move but we were a small minority) The council were partly to blame, but the town sat back and let it happen. I couldn’t bring myself to be as involved in a Phoenix Club and chose to watch my RL elsewhere. Becoming more of a well wisher that gets to a couple of Oldham RL games per season

Similarly, the town for whatever reason has sat back and let its football club become a shadow of what Jimmy Frizzell and Joe Royle worked so hard to achieve, the apathy and spitefulness I hear directed at the club is wrong! I know Oldham has a lot of floating support but many in the town take great pride at their sneering attitude towards the club. The Rugby Fans in particular. I’ve never understood this, we’re all Oldhamers surely we want all Sport in Oldham to succeed?

The situation with the football club’s ground could be the final nail in Oldham’s coffin for me. Oldham Athletic has done more for the profile of the town than town has ever done for the club. When the club was in financial difficulties twice in the last decade it took strangers from outside the town to rescue the club. There are plenty of wealthy people from Oldham but rather than invest in local sport they choose to spend their money elsewhere. (Which is their right) They may have made their millions from the town but don’t want to give something back. Ok this is increasingly the model football club ownership is following with consortia from afar taking interest in clubs at all levels but even when the club was crippled no one locally came forward with significant investment. (Ok some of our wealthier fans donated four and five figures I know well done to them)

If Oldham Athletic leave the town even temporarily, it will be the town’s final failure, a town that allowed itself to become devoid of leisure facilities, a cinema, a bowling alley etc… a town that has allowed itself to be swamped with unsightly takeaways and cheap pound shops. A town were people would rather sit on their arses and lose their football club instead of fighting for their birth right of being able to watch professional football in their town.

The council have failed on many occasions with high-profile projects in the borough, the attitude of ‘we cannot do this because…’ has to stop, and us as residents have to let them know en masse that we will not put up with their lame excuses and incompetence any longer.

Oldham Athletic have 9 home games left this season (hopefully 10), what better way to stick two fingers at those who hold the club back by getting down to Boundary Park and swelling the gate, showing the council and Simon Corney that football has a future in Oldham – if you don’t you may not have that chance EVER again….Come on Oldham, make me proud again….

To those proud Oldhamers that I offended with my outburst last night I apologise, it is your right to be proud of your home town. I am proud of my roots and proud of my Oldham past I simply cannot take pride in what the town has become and hopefully my future will not be in this backward borough….

How do think I feel, im back from Toronto now and living in High Crompton....

BUT, when I drive down Trent Road and see the moors and turn left to onto milnrow rd to Piethorne Resevoir to flyfish, Canada becomes a distant memory.

Especially when I call in the Bulls Head at Ogden for a pint of Blacksheep

I'm with Oldham Athletic.

Oldham Council are just the people who pay the bin men to collect the multicoloured bins.

:censored: them. They have no connection with the good people of the town and would rather spend their time in London thinking of ways to screw more people over with their expenses.

A very interesting read this thread. I always think of myself of being proud of being from Oldham but when you think about it logically I don't see what there is to be proud of.

This town has become an absolute :censored:hole really and is only going one way. It will take a lot more than metrolink to change that

Some good poats on here

As a non Oldhamer I think its imperative for the clubs identity we stay in Oldham we should fight to keep the club alive in Oldham doing so. Abandoning town is like running away from the problem

Oldham is not where I am from but its where my roots are my dads from there and feels angry about how the town has declined in recent years through bad leadership.

Nevertheless the principle factor of Oldham athletic is that its the towns team.

We stay and we fight with unwavering tenacity to make a proffesional football club work in Oldham

A "professional" club would also be nice :grin:

There is a recurring theme in a lot of these threads that an awful lot of fans live outside the borough, well outside on a lot of cases, and a significant number have links with the town that are distant. Does beg the question of how many current day Oldhamers actually go at all. Also begs the question of what is an 'Oldhamer'.

For example, am I one? I was born at home on Broadway but we moved to Saddleworth when I was 3 and of course Saddleworth was in Yorkshire in those days. I left there over 30 years ago and haven't lived within 190 miles of the town since.

Only my Mum is still there of family that I see regularly and Latics is the only reason I would dream if going into town on my trips home.

I'm not from Oldham.

I live here because Mrs o4u is from Oldham. No other reason. There's not a hope in hell that I would have moved to the town as a single man.

I suppose my son is Oldham born and bred. In the maternity ward minutes after he first appeared I took him to the window and showed him Boundary Park. No idea why. I wasn't a Latic. I loved my football but had no allegience to the town or its team.

Despite my own apathy back then, the last few years have seen him fall in love with Latics. I can't think of anything else in the town that he has a passion for. He enjoys his life and makes the most of the opportunities that he has. But other than football, the things he enjoys in life don't need the town. For him, the town offers him nothing more than a match once a fortnight.

I've never told him that he has to be an Oldham Athletic fan. It is his choice and his choice alone. Despite the lack of success on the pitch there has probably been nothing better in my life than 90 minutes a fortnight enjoying the experience of Oldham Athletic with him sat next to me. Even if it's a dour 0-0 draw with Yeovil. Or chucking it down with rain as it is while I type this.

I've fallen in love. Married. Had career successes. Worked hard to be financially secure. Attended the games of many football teams. Seen Liverpool win the title. Cantona, Robson, Giggs play for Man United. Stockport win at Wembley. I've never seen Oldham win anything more than a match.

Yet my favourite place in the world is somewhere near the back of the Rochdale Road End on matchday. It's often cold. The faciltiies are limited and the food is over priced and poor. The toilets are basic. And the football has been known to disappoint more often than it excites. But there is nowhere better. If that special place is moved to Failsworth, Clayton Playing Fields, Coal Pit Lane, a local farm then I am happy to move with it.

Oldham Athletic is significantly more important in my life than Oldham Council. Oldham Athletic is significantly more important in my son's life than a town that offers him little now and little in his future.

Those elected to and working for the council really do need to look at the bolded statement and think about it for more than a moment. What do they really deliver for the people of this town that brings the same amount of joy as the town's primary sporting club? They really do need to look in the mirror and justify their reason for being.

It's time for those in the local authority to respond proactively and professionally in finding a solution that works for the people of Oldham, the football club in Oldham and the followers of that football club.

This is a sporting town that has produced England captains in cricket and football and that heritage must not be allowed to wither.

I am not from Oldham either and if the club does cease to exist I very much doubt I would ever set foot back in Oldham again, and that goes for my dad and brother too. I would hate to add up all the money we have put into the local economy over the past 16 or so years. I would hazard a guess that Oldham Athletic is one of the only things in the whole town which pulls in thousands of people regularly every year. It cant be good for the place to lose this!

A very interesting read this thread. I always think of myself of being proud of being from Oldham but when you think about it logically I don't see what there is to be proud of.

This town has become an absolute :censored:hole really and is only going one way. It will take a lot more than metrolink to change that

Their doesn't have to be a reason so to speak only as much as its where you come and its part of your identity. Certainly knowone should ever feel ashamed of where they come from wherever that maybe.

I'm with Oldham Athletic.

Oldham Council are just the people who pay the bin men to collect the multicoloured bins.

:censored: them. They have no connection with the good people of the town and would rather spend their time in London thinking of ways to screw more people over with their expenses.

Quite so. I am Oldham because it's my team, and where I grew up. I support England at football and cricket for the same reason - it makes no odds whther Cameron or Brown is the PM, I would throw both of them down the well if I could. Let's not confuse the political body with our identity.

I wasn't born and bred in Oldham, but moved to Oldham from Ashton under Lyne when I was a teenager.

To my eyes then Oldham was THE big town in the area with a flourishing market and a football team which regularly attracted massive gates such as the 42,000 against Liverpool - when I was proud to stand on the terraces (even though I couldn't see much).

It boasted to me the finest chippy in the world in Butterworth's, lots of cinemas to see the latest films and some great night clubs.

Ashton just couldn't compare, I was soon won over and I settled down here.

I wouldn't have dreamed then how fortunes have changed with Ashton becoming a go ahead town while Oldham sadly went into decline, particularly in the middle 1990s, about the same time as the football team.

I am proud to have been a part of the golden era and will always have an affinity with the town and the Latics.

Some of the facilities and social clubs at non league clubs are far superior to whats on offer at Boundary Park and that is one of the reasons why either a redevelopment of the ground or a new stadium is essential, people these days want a good experience or they will stay at home watching Jeff Stelling and co.

There's always hope as none of us knows what tomorrow will bring....Roll on tomorrow for a better day.

Their doesn't have to be a reason so to speak only as much as its where you come and its part of your identity. Certainly knowone should ever feel ashamed of where they come from wherever that maybe.

I see your point. And I suppose that is the only reason I am proud, but that just shows I would've been proud of wherever I was from whether that be any :censored:hole in the world.

Looking at things logically there is quite a lot to actually be ashamed of.