Apologies if this has been mentioned in previous threads.

What is the origin of the name "Pine Villa"? Was it a name that was created specifically for Oldham? I was wondering because if we move out of Oldham permanently and had to change our name I would imagine, from what I currently know, that this would be the best name for us to use as it enables us to keep in touch with the club's history while moving without creating a brand new club MK Dons style. Does anyone know if there is a particular reason why Pine Villa couldn't be used if we leave the borough?

Apologies if this has been mentioned in previous threads.

What is the origin of the name "Pine Villa"? Was it a name that was created specifically for Oldham? I was wondering because if we move out of Oldham permanently and had to change our name I would imagine, from what I currently know, that this would be the best name for us to use as it enables us to keep in touch with the club's history while moving without creating a brand new club MK Dons style. Does anyone know if there is a particular reason why Pine Villa couldn't be used if we leave the borough?

Lot of ifs and buts in that, and a million miles away even now, but if we moved out of the area, to get the fans on board, of say Ashton ro Tmeside would want that in their title.

But Tameside Villa is hardly going to get them on side, and I'd stake my house on a rejection of Ashton Villa..!

The history of Oldham Athletic A.F.C. begins with its founding as Pine Villa F.C. in 1895, which played in local Manchester and Lancashire leagues. When rivals Oldham County F.C. folded in 1899, Pine Villa F.C. moved into their stadium Boundary Park

The history of Oldham Athletic A.F.C. begins with its founding as Pine Villa F.C. in 1895, which played in local Manchester and Lancashire leagues. When rivals Oldham County F.C. folded in 1899, Pine Villa F.C. moved into their stadium Boundary Park

Where did they move from?

Failsworth.

That might be untrue.

Pine Villa is from Pine Mill, as I understood it.

That also might be untrue.

Not a very good post this one.

Given it was the 1890'sand Pine Mill on Sherwood St was contstructed in 1880, I'd hazard a guess it was the Mill Football club.

It's quite close to Westwood PArk, so my guess is there, and the obvious connection.

Where did they move from?

From memory (from books, I'm not that old) they played at a pitch nearby to Pine Mill. They then moved to the Sheepfoot Lane Grounds once Oldham County went tits up. They moved from there to Hudson Fold which was where that athletic track was behind the houses on Furtherwood Road and which is now a car park of whatever the hell is there now (B&Q?) and then moved to Boundary Park which I think is where the Sheepfoot Lane Grounds was.

And....Pine Villa would be a dreadful name. Move them out of Oldham and then give them a name that has no links to Oldham and what have you got left of the club? Nowt.

Like the end of boom and bust?...

That quote was made in regards to inflation... but as we know, the full facts aren't of interest during a witch hunt :)

As we are seeing now... Tories and Inflation go hand in hand... Just shocking to see the Lib Dems playing the part of king makers for them...

That quote was made in regards to inflation... but as we know, the full facts aren't of interest during a witch hunt :)

As we are seeing now... Tories and Inflation go hand in hand... Just shocking to see the Lib Dems playing the part of king makers for them...

That is what the Spin Doctors would have you believe but it was the economy in general, who refers to inflation as boom and bust?

May 20, 1997, speech by the chancellor to the CBI: Exploiting the British genius – the key to long-term economic success: "Stability is necessary for our future economic success. The British economy of the future must be built not on the shifting sands of boom and bust, but on the bedrock of prudent and wise economic management for the long term. It is only these firm foundations that we can raise Britain's underlying economic performance."

April 28 1998, speech by the chancellor to the British American business council in London:"Now it is true to say in Britain that the last forty years has been characterised by stop go, boom bust, instability in economic policy. And so I can tell you that the first objective of the new government has been the determination to ensure monetary and fiscal stability, in place of stop go, and to do so in an economy far more open than the sheltered national economics of the past."

So neither of those even mention inflation, just economics as a broad brush.

I am of course highlighting the demise of Oldham County.... :grin:

Edited by singe

Lot of ifs and buts in that, and a million miles away even now, but if we moved out of the area, to get the fans on board, of say Ashton ro Tmeside would want that in their title.

But Tameside Villa is hardly going to get them on side, and I'd stake my house on a rejection of Ashton Villa..!

Already a sunday league team from Preston called that and they suck.

are you another one of these amnesiac Labourites who thinks the world started in 2010? :grin:

not 100% on this but i recall reading somewhere that Pine Villa played on Berry's field which was off Garforth Street Chadderton near the methodist church. Somehow Latics has to stay in Oldham for me and remain Oldham Athletic.

That is what the Spin Doctors would have you believe but it was the economy in general, who refers to inflation as boom and bust?

May 20, 1997, speech by the chancellor to the CBI: Exploiting the British genius – the key to long-term economic success: "Stability is necessary for our future economic success. The British economy of the future must be built not on the shifting sands of boom and bust, but on the bedrock of prudent and wise economic management for the long term. It is only these firm foundations that we can raise Britain's underlying economic performance."

April 28 1998, speech by the chancellor to the British American business council in London:"Now it is true to say in Britain that the last forty years has been characterised by stop go, boom bust, instability in economic policy. And so I can tell you that the first objective of the new government has been the determination to ensure monetary and fiscal stability, in place of stop go, and to do so in an economy far more open than the sheltered national economics of the past."

So neither of those even mention inflation, just economics as a broad brush.

I am of course highlighting the demise of Oldham County.... :grin:

Quote as much as you like what I am saying is the cast iron fact... The stablisation of inflation was seen as the biggest challenge to helping control boom and bust. We had just come out of a period where inflation had crippled the UK for so many years. That was the thing on everyones mind. Maybe you forget...

To be quite frank, the explosion of the world wide banking sector had feck all to do with the real UK economy.

Anyway we are left with people in charge who where telling Labour that they where actually not deregulating the banks enough so I have no fecking idea what sense that makes anyway...

Anyway... Lets not let a few piss taking comments launch us into a political debate none of us really want...again :)

Edited by oafc0000

Quote as much as you like what I am saying is the cast iron fact... The stablisation of inflation was seen as the biggest challenge to helping control boom and bust. We had just come out of a period where inflation had crippled the UK for so many years. That was the thing on everyones mind. Maybe you forget...

To be quite frank, the explosion of the world wide banking sector had feck all to do with the real UK economy.

Anyway we are left with people in charge who where telling Labour that they where actually not deregulating the banks enough so I have no fecking idea what sense that makes anyway...

Anyway... Lets not let a few piss taking comments launch us into a political debate none of us really want...again :)

Agree.

Far more important matters in hand!