Apologies if this has been mentioned in previous threads.

What is the origin of the name "Pine Villa"? Was it a name that was created specifically for Oldham? I was wondering because if we move out of Oldham permanently and had to change our name I would imagine, from what I currently know, that this would be the best name for us to use as it enables us to keep in touch with the club's history while moving without creating a brand new club MK Dons style. Does anyone know if there is a particular reason why Pine Villa couldn't be used if we leave the borough?

In 1897 the licensee of the Featherstall and Junction pub, John Garland, his son, Fred, and a few pub regulars decided to form a football club. They rented out a pitch next to, and under the shadows of, the Pine Mill.

Pine Villa was born . . .

In 1897 the licensee of the Featherstall and Junction pub, John Garland, his son, Fred, and a few pub regulars decided to form a football club. They rented out a pitch next to, and under the shadows of, the Pine Mill.

Pine Villa was born . . .

In 1899 the professional team, Oldham County, went out of business. One of the liquidators, George Elliot, suggested that Pine Villa move to County’s ground in Sheepfoot Lane. On 4 July 1899 at the Black Cow Inn on Burnley Lane, Chadderton, Oldham Athletic was born.

During the 1900-1901 season Latics were forced to move from their ground to Hudson Fold. In 1906 they moved again and leased the current site at Boundary Park from the owners JW Lees Brewery.

All correct on Pine Mill.

When Oldham County became a limited company in 1896 they were known as Oldham County Football and Athletic Company Ltd. Their new ground on Sheepfoot Lane (actually Tetlow Fold) was planned to have an athletics and cycle track as well as a football pitch. Both athletics and cycling were quite big spectator sports at the time. The ground itself was called the "Athletic Grounds". When, in 1899, Pine Villa did a deal with County's liquidators to take over the ground, Oldham Athletic came into being.

Ironically, in 1896 when the ground was built, the first sod was ceremonially cut by Alderman Thomas Bolton - a representative of Oldham Borough Council.

Given it was the 1890'sand Pine Mill on Sherwood St was contstructed in 1880, I'd hazard a guess it was the Mill Football club.

It's quite close to Westwood PArk, so my guess is there, and the obvious connection.

So can Westwood Park be relocated and Latics go back to their roots ? :o

And....Pine Villa would be a dreadful name. Move them out of Oldham and then give them a name that has no links to Oldham and what have you got left of the club? Nowt.

If the clubs not called Oldham Athletic and not in Oldham I wont be supporting it.

Just another MK FRANCHISE