Letters/emails to Councillors/MPS?

I asked the club is they thought that contacting our local Councillors/MP's was worthwhilejust now or was it counterproductive.

Here is the reply:-

"There is no harm in fans contacting MPs and Councillors to let them know the importance of keeping the club in town.

The more pressure that can be exerted now on all parties the better, as there is likely to be a change of control in May.

Get all the fans to lobby there councillors and MP, the more action the better.

If they see there is no reaction from fans then they may say no one is bothered."

Up to you if you write but carefully crafted letters with no slander may be order of the day.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked the club is they thought that contacting our local Councillors/MP's was worthwhilejust now or was it counterproductive.

Here is the reply:-

"There is no harm in fans contacting MPs and Councillors to let them know the importance of keeping the club in town.

The more pressure that can be exerted now on all parties the better, as there is likely to be a change of control in May.

Get all the fans to lobby there councillors and MP, the more action the better.

If they see there is no reaction from fans then they may say no one is bothered."

Up to you if you write but carefully crafted letters with no slander may be order of the day.

Excellent point Alec, we do need to formulate a bit of a plan.

Does anyone know who the councillors ont h eFailsworth sub committee are?

As I don't live in Oldham I doubt any councillor will bother taking any notice of me, but I f I wite to the planning people and the councillors describing my feeling at the impact of their decision making it might help.

Does anyone know who the councillors ont h eFailsworth sub committee are?

As I don't live in Oldham I doubt any councillor will bother taking any notice of me, but I f I wite to the planning people and the councillors describing my feeling at the impact of their decision making it might help.

Here's my email to Michael Meacher:

Dear Sir,

As my local MP please could you advise me of the best way to put pressure on Oldham M.B.C. to ensure that they answer publicly the criticisms laid out within the Charity Commission report (see attached) on the proposed Failsworth Land Swap.

This is one of a series of serious errors that council officers representing my tax money at work have made which will or may at least result in a lawsuit which will cost who knows what amount of money. The Vance Miller case being another recent example. The pounds I pay in tax I pay willingly to share in the long term prosperity of Oldham and its population; however I feel that my money is being wasted at an extraordinarily level by O.M.B.C.

Can I refuse to pay a percentage of my Council Tax in a legal manner until they get their house in order?

I suspect that the answer is no.

The council argue that there is no other plots of land fit for leisure purposes within the Oldham boundaries; I disagree. There is a huge area of land which is currently ear marked for a championship quality golf course by the council. Surely with at least 4 private golf courses within the borough on which golf enthusiasts (of which I am one) can arrange a game of golf for relatively cheap sum of money, there is no need for a council owned golf course.

Oldham Athletic is a key PR feature for the town of Oldham. Wherever I go travelling with work you can guarantee that people will have heard of 2 things Oldham Athletic and the Oldham riots. Are there any other towns who are willing to put their flagship businesses at risk. Bury, Huddersfield and Rochdale have all received significant and telling support from their borough council in achieving their best potential; Oldham however would let OAFC rot and die.

I live in a town sir which boasts none of the following amenities for its town folk:

A cinema

A bowling alley

An Ice skating rink

A roller skating rink

or any other such leisure centric facilities.

It’s a disgrace and I would very much like your help in taking O.M.B.C. to task for its failings.

Yours Sincerely

Graham Turner

As yet I have had an acknowledgement from his PA, but no response. I only sent it yesterday to be fair!!

his email address is: meacherm@parliament.uk

I would suggest that the same format using surname and first initial would work for any other MP that you might wish to contact.

YOu know I was only thinking that our beloved council has been a tad quite over this fiasco.

I don't even think there has been a statement made. Even to say "no comment".

Hmmmm....

I will harrass mine and will find out when the local councillors surgery is too to give em grief - as long as it does not clash with a game that is. Here is a link to all the coucillors and their surgeries. Hope the link works

http://www.oldham.gov.uk/council/ward-surgeries.htm

Edited by underdog

Here's my email to Michael Meacher:

Dear Sir,

As my local MP please could you advise me of the best way to put pressure on Oldham M.B.C. to ensure that they answer publicly the criticisms laid out within the Charity Commission report (see attached) on the proposed Failsworth Land Swap.

This is one of a series of serious errors that council officers representing my tax money at work have made which will or may at least result in a lawsuit which will cost who knows what amount of money. The Vance Miller case being another recent example. The pounds I pay in tax I pay willingly to share in the long term prosperity of Oldham and its population; however I feel that my money is being wasted at an extraordinarily level by O.M.B.C.

Can I refuse to pay a percentage of my Council Tax in a legal manner until they get their house in order?

I suspect that the answer is no.

The council argue that there is no other plots of land fit for leisure purposes within the Oldham boundaries; I disagree. There is a huge area of land which is currently ear marked for a championship quality golf course by the council. Surely with at least 4 private golf courses within the borough on which golf enthusiasts (of which I am one) can arrange a game of golf for relatively cheap sum of money, there is no need for a council owned golf course.

Oldham Athletic is a key PR feature for the town of Oldham. Wherever I go travelling with work you can guarantee that people will have heard of 2 things Oldham Athletic and the Oldham riots. Are there any other towns who are willing to put their flagship businesses at risk. Bury, Huddersfield and Rochdale have all received significant and telling support from their borough council in achieving their best potential; Oldham however would let OAFC rot and die.

I live in a town sir which boasts none of the following amenities for its town folk:

A cinema

A bowling alley

An Ice skating rink

A roller skating rink

or any other such leisure centric facilities.

It's a disgrace and I would very much like your help in taking O.M.B.C. to task for its failings.

Yours Sincerely

Graham Turner

As yet I have had an acknowledgement from his PA, but no response. I only sent it yesterday to be fair!!

his email address is: meacherm@parliament.uk

I would suggest that the same format using surname and first initial would work for any other MP that you might wish to contact.

Excellent letter and thanks for permission to use it as a template. I will fire on one to my local councillor now

Edited by underdog

The council had a meeting on Monday to discuss future options regarding OAFC. There are other parcels of land around the borough of varying sizes that OAFC could develop into a new stadium.

The council do want professional football in the town and I'm sure will work with the club to make this achieveable.

They have made huge cock-ups in the past and present but we will get there eventually if the will is still there.

Is the plan then for everyone to write to their local councillor and MP?

Yes lets its a good start and of course with the protest march too.

It has just take me all of 2 mins to find my local councillors email, used the template kindly done above with minor adjustments to it and sent it.

Say 3,000 emails from fans hitting their inbox and they are going to take note. I will have a dabble at getting this on Facebook

Yes lets its a good start and of course with the protest march too.

It has just take me all of 2 mins to find my local councillors email, used the template kindly done above with minor adjustments to it and sent it.

Say 3,000 emails from fans hitting their inbox and they are going to take note. I will have a dabble at getting this on Facebook

are they going to bother reading them if they're all from one template??

might be a better idea to just say what you want in your own words

just a suggestion

can they, will they and how will they get involved/help is all i'm going to ask.

getting into detail will only see them picking arguments apart knowing the kind of people these are

Edited by HarryBosch

Is the plan then for everyone to write to their local councillor and MP?

As the club said in their email to me, if we don't show our displeasure they will assume that all is OK. Shame that all of my Councillors are Asisn as they couldn't care less. and before anyone shouts that is not a racist statement.. I have written to them on other subjects but they never reply.

Is there any actual plan here or are we just randomly going to send stuff to everyone and anyone who we might think matters? I think there needs to be a bit more structure to it.

This issue is a local one, not national. So I think we should keep it to that. Let the council and the local MP's know your feelings.

Be assured though the council do want professional football in the borough despite all the problems we've faced to date.

As the club said in their email to me, if we don't show our displeasure they will assume that all is OK. Shame that all of my Councillors are Asisn as they couldn't care less. and before anyone shouts that is not a racist statement..

awful spelling though

i bet you wouldn't have mispelt "white" :grin:

are they going to bother reading them if they're all from one template??

might be a better idea to just say what you want in your own words

just a suggestion

can they, will they and how will they get involved/help is all i'm going to ask.

getting into detail will only see them picking arguments apart knowing the kind of people these are

I agree with that. My letters are my work, good or bad.