Disgraceful latics

So disappointed with him, and for the second time last night he was arguing and gobbing off to team mates. Don't think we need that...

Dickov's been pretty unlucky with his centre-forward signings. We're skint and every signing has to count, but Feeney and Reid (so far) just haven't shown any sign of their worth. Neither of them really work in a partnership with Tonk who, in my opinion, has done enough this season to justify his place in the starting line-up.

Is Brooke really so bad that he can't get in ahead of Feeney and Reid??

For me it is the switch to playing 2 up front that has resulted in our lack of goals, when Taylor played in the hole he linked midfield and attack well so that Tonks didn't get isolated even when he does his battering ramesque runs.

Switching to 2 out and out strikers has left Tonks isolated as the man up with him is rightly concerned with getting his name on the score sheet so the young lad needs to adapt his game to drop a bit deeper at times.

To resolve this? We could switch to more of a diamond in midfield with one lad solely charged with defensive duties whilst switching Taylor behind the front 2. However, I think this will leave us out numbered in the middle, plus with us not scoring at the moment the lads aren't quite firing and as we have seen we are always susceptible to not getting back in the game if we concede.

Personally I would like to see us go back to basics with the 4-4-1-1/ 4-5-1 that we had joy with earlier in the season but it is also possible that this has been cancelled out by tactically astute managers. We could give 4-3-3 ago to bolster the midfield, get the width from the fullbacks and retain solidity in the middle. However I think I would like to see 5-3-2 given a go, again the width comes from our full backs, the extra one in midfield plays behind the front 2 and links up with them.

But, I'm no football manager, we've a fiery Jock and his able assistant to figure this all out. Next games on Saturday, he'll have figured it out by then, hopefully we will get some of the injuries cleared up, shame about Furman but he is probably due a rest anyway.

For me it is the switch to playing 2 up front that has resulted in our lack of goals, when Taylor played in the hole he linked midfield and attack well so that Tonks didn't get isolated even when he does his battering ramesque runs.

Switching to 2 out and out strikers has left Tonks isolated as the man up with him is rightly concerned with getting his name on the score sheet so the young lad needs to adapt his game to drop a bit deeper at times.

To resolve this? We could switch to more of a diamond in midfield with one lad solely charged with defensive duties whilst switching Taylor behind the front 2. However, I think this will leave us out numbered in the middle, plus with us not scoring at the moment the lads aren't quite firing and as we have seen we are always susceptible to not getting back in the game if we concede.

Personally I would like to see us go back to basics with the 4-4-1-1/ 4-5-1 that we had joy with earlier in the season but it is also possible that this has been cancelled out by tactically astute managers. We could give 4-3-3 ago to bolster the midfield, get the width from the fullbacks and retain solidity in the middle. However I think I would like to see 5-3-2 given a go, again the width comes from our full backs, the extra one in midfield plays behind the front 2 and links up with them.

But, I'm no football manager, we've a fiery Jock and his able assistant to figure this all out. Next games on Saturday, he'll have figured it out by then, hopefully we will get some of the injuries cleared up, shame about Furman but he is probably due a rest anyway.

What strikes me is that if Hazell and Stephens are back on Saturday and PD reverts to Tounkara and White starting then we have the team that began against Hartlepool (with Furman replaced by Mantom) - just a thought like. :wink:

Very poor in the first half, simply could not get on the ball, the game bypassed our midfield and strikers who looked well off the pace. Right on half-time from nowhere Furman nearly smashes us in front, forcing a good stop from Martin. Amos had kept us in it again. Second-Half we came out with much more energy, Morais nearly scored a fabulous goal after a jinking run saw him smash one that was arrowing into the top corner with Martin just managing to turn it away from right in the corner. Taylor should have scored with a free diving header from a corner and Mantom should have done better when dragging his shot narrowly wide. Tonk was on the field only 15 minutes yet gave Reid (who ignored his number going up at first before finally going off - it could have been confusion, it looked more like petulance to me) a lesson in how to close down, put himself about and hold the ball up. Dons after being excellent in the first-half ran out of ideas.

Amos - Plenty to do first half, and did it well - 7

Lee - Assured, composed - despite being left exposed by the 'Wanderer' - 7

Trotman - His best game since returning, won everything - 8 MY MOM

Todd - Again his best performance in a Latics shirt, more assured on the ball than Trotters or Rubes - 7

Evina - Had a poor night, never seemed to get the ball under control and invariably hoofed or gave it away - 5

Morais - Poor first-half, much better in the second. Still not convinced about him away from home - 6

Mantom - Had a nightmare first-half, improved slightly in the second half, but looked every inch a 'boy' - 6

Furman - Decent performance, improved as time went on like many of his mates - 7

Taylor - Enthusiastic, but never quite had the control to make things happen, should have done better with the free header. Poor behaviour at the end, whether provoked or not - 6

Reid - Simply awful, never looked a threat and no work ethic - 4

Feeeney - Played far too deep and ended up wide. So off the pace it was criminal. Summed up when receiving the ball in acres out wide, switched off no-one near him and it bounces twenty yards off his knees and out for a throw - 3

Subs:

Jones - deplorable behaviour in front of loyal fans that had travelled 200 miles to see him smack a team-mate. He'd be out on loan this morning if it was up to me - 2

Tonk - Showed Feeney and Reid what to do and how to do it- 7

White - Not really in the game, but only had 13 minutes

The lack of goals is worrying and for the first time during this bad run we never really looked like scoring. Given that Furman is now banned the chances are we'll have a completely new midfield on Saturday against one of its strongest attacking sides. It could be anything on Saturday!

Very generous for Lee, Trotman and Evina imo. Todd was miles above Trotman for me and while Lee didn't get much help from Morais in the first half he was constantly beaten by the winger. Evina's positioning was woeful and better strikers would have exposed him on the scoresheet more than once in the first half.

As for not posing a threat there were only really three demanding saves in the game and the MK keeper made two of them (from Furman and Morais) so while we certainly rode our luck in the first half wouldn't be panicking on the back of that performance. Amos did extremely well with the one on one but in terms of direct shots to save - not many.

I strongly suspect that the away dressing room will need re-paiting this mnorning as I imagine that Dickov would not have been restrained at half-time.

Ooh, a tactics debate on here – lovely – makes a change from the ‘Latics Disgraceful’ esq stuff of late!!

I too believe we’ve suffered with trying to accommodate the 2nd outright striker. Yeah, Tonk isn’t a 20 a season man, but when we was the out & out lone striker with either DJ Bembo (early doors), Taylor or latterly Morais playing deeper than him; in the hole linking the midfield to attack – he looked a threat to the opposition and his workrate and hold-up wasn’t in vain as there was a team-mate (the ‘hole’ player0 there to link in with.

Since Reid or Feeney has been pushed up there with him; it’s no surprise to me that Tonk & the teams performances have dipped.

When we lined up 4-4-1-1; in a nice fluid attacking fashion; with pacey wingers and a ‘playmaker / make something happen’ type in the hole role; we caused many teams all sorts of problems going forward.

Since we’ve gone outright 4-4-2; we look devoid of the attacking qualities we had previously. Morais gets isolated on the wide right; the game can pass him by and also his wanderings looking for ball (as he’s isolated) exposes K Lee at RB. Taylor went on a decent goal run playing farther up the pitch; in the central role and looked more of a threat playing there than he has out wide too. Aidy White for me operates better on the right; so he can cut in-field onto his left a la his goal Vs Exeter too.

For me; i’d look to go back to what was working before the blip.....4-4-1-1 and for me; the players i’d use would be

Lewis Alice @ LM Furman & Stephens (obviously when both fit) Aidy White @ RM

Taylor

Tonkara

Then, you have Morais on the bench (I know I know) to come on in 1 of 3 positions if needed to look to make an impact.

With a solid backline (again; I know i know) – this attacking 6 in the original fluid formation will IMO get back to creating & scoring in the way they were doing...............plenty for PD to ponder; and this blip / no goals runs we’re on is one of the 1st; if not the actual 1st real tests of his embryonic managerial career. Over to you mr Dickov; I’ll see you on sat to see what you have up your sleeve!!!

I don't have a problem with Morais on the bench, not just Morais either, it is a squad game these days and it can be to our advantage to have good players on the bench ready to change the game if needed.

I'd like to see Lewis given a run in the hole, he showed he can link up with strikers, he worked really well with Hughes during their spell together, not forgetting he did really well on the left at the start of the season.

As we have progressed, injuries, niggles, suspensions and loss of form have affected us, now we are at the business end of the season the management should be able to chop and change when needed, players need to take a break so they are fresh for a 30 minute impact game at times.

I hope Talalabambama can make a step up to first team and that Mamton can chip in too, we are lacking a bit of cover in the midfield as we have seen in Stevens absence, hopefully Furman's absence can be managed during his suspension and we can really push on around the Easter period.

We are playing the Posh, who have conceeded 60 goals this season, and scored 67. They are playing like how we stereotypically used to play under JR (1st spell), the opposition can score 3, but they will score 4.

As such I'd be tempted to play 41311, with a holding midfield player, two wide men, and someone in behind Tonk who can shore up the midfield when needed. I don't think we need to worry about creating chances, stopping them from scoring is perhaps the biggest priority, as such I think Black at LB may be a good move (with possibly Evina in front of him)

Not many teams at this level can cope with loosing their top scorer for 3 games, and expect to score in those games, however, Stephens may well be fit for Saturday.

Agree about us changing to trying to accomodate Reid, since we went two up top there's no cohesion and the front two are isolated...

Whilst I agree that Taylor wears his heart on his sleeve, it strikes me that he should just concentrate on his own game rather than getting involved with others. Imagine you worked with this guy! After Evina made a bad pass before Carlisle scored the winning goal the other night, all Taylor could do was whinge and shout at the lad. If some guy at work had done the same to you, how would you have reacted? Evina is a professional and presumably knows damn well he made a mistake and will learn from it. Did Taylor have to publicly abuse him? I don't think so. Again and again, he's the one whining about some decision or other that didn't go his way to the referee, who must be thinking who the hell is this bloke! Sooner or later he's going to get booked sent off or, as seen last night, handbags or a smack in the face!!!

Somebody described Lisa Simpson as 'the answer to a question nobody asked'. A similar description suits Taylor!

Least it shows passion ?

Or does it show why Jones hasnt been picked recently ,

I asked the question last week why did Dickov bring in Mantom when Jones is surely a replacement ,

possibly had my question answered now.

Looks like Jones caused a bit of trouble at Hartlepool handing in a transfer request etc . Guessing he has ideas above his station

Wasn't that about him falling out with the manager over where he was playing? He wanted to play CM but kept getting played on the right..

Reid (who ignored his number going up at first before finally going off - it could have been confusion, it looked more like petulance to me) a lesson in how to close down, put himself about and hold the ball up. Dons after being excellent in the first-half ran out of ideas.

Gord said it was confusion with the fourth official..

The problem with 5-3-2 is that, your full backs push up, but your left with 3 centre-backs stood at half-way line, so you have a player down whilst attacking..

4-3-1-2

Amos

Lee

Todd

Trotters

Evina

Jones/Medi

Stephens/Medi

Mantom/Medi

Alice/Morais - Free role

Tonk

Brooke

This was my second game of the season after seeing the Brentford game earlier in the season and I was shocked by the contrast in the two performances.

Against Brentford it was clear that Oldham were a team that enjoyed each others company and enjoyed playing the game. Against MK there was little or no evidence of this. It's all very well having a huddle before the start of the game but there was hardly any communication between players in dead ball situations. The only communication between players seemed to be in the way of minor fracas.

Some of the players that have been added to the squad since the Brentford game were very disappointing. I don't think Reid will work out, his attitude and body language are apalling. Todd looks like his legs have gone to me but maybe he's still working towards full fitness. And no wonder Richie Jones is all fighty if Manton is preferred to him. By contrast Amos is excellent between the sticks, a real improvement on Brill. One of his saves in the 1st half was absolutely outstanding.

All in all a deeply concerning evening. Hopefully this is a blip rather than a trend.