Penney rejoins dole queue

Yeah remember that game pre-match Talbot said we didn't stand a chance,didn't do a bad job he nearly took us down

He also kept us up the season after administration.

Didn't say he did a particularly good job, but was miles better than Penney.

Would say the wins at Swindon and beating City at Boundary Park under him were two of my favourite Latics matches ever.

He also kept us up the season after administration.

Didn't say he did a particularly good job, but was miles better than Penney.

Would say the wins at Swindon and beating City at Boundary Park under him were two of my favourite Latics matches ever.

The win at Bristol City was a good day, battering Champions elect Plymouth, battering Bradford away, the come back v Walsall, and plenty of thrillers v Hartlepool, Barnsley, Accy etc - strange how the wheels came off. A bit like with Dicky this season, doing pretty well then fatigue from the young lads kicks in and we're now on a losing run that shows little sign of ending - just like the one in January/February 2005.

Bolton (H) FAC L0-1

Swindon (H) L1-2

Blackpool (A) L0-2

Bournemouth (A) L0-4

Wrexham (LDV) (H) L3-5

Stockport (H) L1-2

Bristol City (A) L1-5

Previous 7

Peterborough (A) W2-1

Tranmere (H) LDV D1-1 Won on Pens

Donny (H) L1-2 (Ironically Managed by Penney)

City (H) FAC W1-0

Colchester (A) D0-0

Tranmere (H) D2-2

Peterborough (H) W2-1

I always thought Talbot's biggest mistake was not appointing his own No. 2, and i'm not convinced he was given any sort of a budget given that we still had players like Holden, Appleby, Killen sat on fat contracts yet still had to rely on the Youth of KK, Hughes, Bruce etc…Although his signings of Arber and Jack were crap!

3 1/2 years with a get out clause if it went tits up………………it went tits up! Sacked twice in the space of 10 months, pretty awesome achivement….time to dig out yer trowel and yer string line Penney.

He is making a very nice living out of being paid up

He is making a very nice living out of being paid up

As I say, there's no way Brizzle could afford to pay up that deal - the clause has obviously been invoked and DP will be lucky if he's been paid up to May, a bit similar to our agreement with the lazy fat turd Ricketts…

The get out clause for both parties was the end of the season.

He's using his pay-off to buy a shiny new one of these…

unnamedi.jpg

Edited by oafcprozac

Football's gone mad.

:censored: or not 13 games is not enough. I don't doubt after 30 he'd be equally :censored: but that's not the point.

totally agree, what did they think when they hired him , lets give him a contract for a few years but lets sack him if he doesnt do well after 13 games :blink:

totally agree, what did they think when they hired him , lets give him a contract for a few years but lets sack him if he doesnt do well after 13 games :blink:

Few things spring to mind here:

1.) Rovers have a Chairman who believed that the grass was maybe greener – and fired Paul Trollope when he had been doing a Stirling job for them – yeah he may have stagnated a tad in his last dozen or so games but I thought at the time; and still think now, it was extremely harsh on Trollope

2.) If, as the Chairman stated at the time of Penney’s appointment; he (DP) was the outstanding candidate and was the right man for the job; and be given a 3 ½ deal – why insert a quick fire ‘get out clause’. That to me smacks of a Hollywood couple proclaiming undying love; but ahead of the marriage inserting a pre-nup for it goes belly up after 2 weeks..........

3.) Rovers are 2nd bottom (would be bottom outright if not for Plymouths admin), are evidently shot to pieces confidence wise – and now they plump for a 34 year old player to step into the breach and save their League 1 status? Good Luck Stuart Campbell; you’re going to need it........strange that they haven’t gone done the route of an old; world-wise experienced head to come to the end of the season; a Peter Jackson type, as it wasn’t too long that the previously mentioned Rovers Chairman spelt out how catastrophic relegation would be for them.....and to entrust saving them to a rookie who is still a major part of the playing side (& one of the better players) is a very strange decision.

By all accounts the board at Bristol Rovers are incompetent arseholes. Their fans have formed a campaign group in protest at how the club's being run, and i believe the bloke who's quoted in that article has been banned from the club's official forum. Their chairman's made some quite odd statements having a go at the fans who are criticising him, saying that arguing among themselves won't help and everyone needs to pull together, then having a go at their own players.

Normally i wouldn't cheer someone losing their job, especially in these difficult times, but as Killens_physio quite rightly points out he couldn't give a monkeys what we think anyway so hahahahahahahaha.

Chris Lines is pretty scathing about Penney.

past the half way line?

Bristol Rovers midfielder Chris Lines says the board were right to let manager Dave Penney go and replace him with captain Stuart Campbell.

Lines, 25, scored Rovers' winner at Tranmere on Tuesday night and says the togetherness in the squad is already better since Penney left on Monday.

"In a way I think that's the best decision as 'Cambs' is going to get exactly that," Lines told BBC Bristol.

"I think you could see it today as everyone was playing for each other."

Lines continued: "We just need to get back to enjoying it as it's been pretty obvious the lads haven't been for the last few months.

"The change in people's attitudes and moods has been noticeable just in a couple of days.

"The journey up in the coach everyone was in a good mood and we got in the changing room and everyone was rallying round.

"That's one of the things we haven't had lately and the old manager tried sorting that out and it didn't quite work."

Bristol Rovers' win at Prenton Park was their first in four games and Lines' goal his first in 17 matches.

It now leaves them just two points from safety in League One with 11 games left in the season.

With the players we've got in the team we've got to pass the ball and I can't remember us hardly doing that at all recently.

Chris Lines

"On a personal note I am very happy to get that goal for him[stuart Campbell], he's a top man and I'm sure he'll do a great job until the end of the season," said Lines.

"It's been a while but hopefully I can carry on once I get some confidence back again.

"I could get another five or six easily and that's going to help the team massively."

And Lines also pointed to a change in the team's formation as another reason for their change in fortune.

"As a midfielder it gave me so many more options with the ball with Gavin [Williams] there as well as he does find some great positions," he said.

"Him playing on the wing recently has been a bit of a waste really and it's quite obvious he's not a winger.

"I think we passed the ball today more than we have done in months.

"He [stuart Campbell] has said he's going to come in and change the philosophy and let's just get the ball down and play.

"With the players we've got in the team we've got to pass the ball and I can't remember us hardly doing that at all recently."

Edited by singe

Football's gone mad.

:censored: or not 13 games is not enough. I don't doubt after 30 he'd be equally :censored: but that's not the point.

I have to agree with Lookers Carl on this one.

If our board had the balls to sack Penney when he needed to be sacked, we would still have a fan base and I would not be in the mess we are now in finacially.

If our board had the balls to sack Penney when he needed to be sacked, we would still have a fan base and I would not be in the mess we are now in finacially.

I don't mean any disrespect or mean to sound harsh - but that comment is bollocks!

This club has been on a downward slide for many, many, many reasons since being relegated from the premier league - The players, backroom and coaching staff found the right ingredients back in the late 80s/early 90s to get a club of our size into the top league, against all odds. Ever since we have have made an unbelievable amount of bad decisions and choices that has affected our future - Lack of vision, Lack of investment, poor managerial choices, poor stadium choices, poor marketing, etc, etc. We are where we are because that is what we deserve and probably in the right division in todays climate.

To blame Dave Penney for the lack of fan base and financial mess is nothing short of absolute codswallop.

He wasn't good here, he didn't last long and he's moved on - perhaps some fans should do the same.

After 13 games under Penney if we had sacked him then we would have been sacking a manager who had us about 10th in the table, who had gone unbeaten in 4 games, the first 3 of which were wins- including our best win of the season at home to Milton Keynes.

13 league games the situation changes to getting beat by Southampton having had arguably one of better results- the draw against Charlton away.

13 games wasn't enough to sack Penney. 30 games would have been about right, I don't think its coincidence that a lot of managers get sacked near the transfer window as the clubs have recognised that prior to then a new manager couldn't be doing too much different as the players would be the same.

The lack of the fan base has many reasons quite a few of which have nowt to do with Penney. BRFC gave Penney a much bigger contract and if they have to pay it off in full I doubt they would have sacked him, I think they sacked him now because of an easy clause which allowed them to do so- lets not forget Penney was Northerly based so would have had to move his family down south and it may have been in his interests to have such a clause in place anyway.

This is the problem. Football management is largely about firefighting now as you are given no time whatsoever to mould a team as you like it. We sacked Penney too early. There's barely a manager you can't argue we didn't sack too soon of recent times. Sheridan went at the first inkling of things going tits up, Moore went before he could do his stuff (although he was so alienated from the fan base that it had become a bit untenable), the list goes on...

I still won't be surprised if Dickov doesn't make the end of the season.