Hard Working Fans !

FC Union berlin fans basically re built there stadium so they could secure promotion to the second division.

http://www.theoffside.com/leagues/bundesliga/1-fc-union-berlin-has-the-the-hardest-working-fans-in-the-world.html

here is some pictures, scroll to the bottom thats before and the tops pictures are after...

http://www.europlan-online.de/Deutschland/B/Berlin/Union_Berlin/Alte_Foersterei.htm

wish we had the fans and resources to do that !

weren't they the Stasi's team who rigged their way to East German titles back in the day?

That side terrace looks impressive I wonder how many they could fit on that?

#

No that was Dinamo Berlin - rivals!

In most cases the Dinamo team was the police/secret police team - Moscow, Bucharest, Zagreb etc.

Edited by LaticsPete

weren't they the Stasi's team who rigged their way to East German titles back in the day?

That side terrace looks impressive I wonder how many they could fit on that?

the whole stadium holds 18,944. not too sure how many it holds on that one terrance, but i do know they took 20,000 fans to hertha berlin for the derby game.

im going over in decemeber to see a game.

#

No that was Dinamo Berlin - rivals!

In most cases the Dinamo team was the police/secret police team - Moscow, Bucharest, Zagreb etc.

I thought the Dinamo team was the army team, but having looked at it think you might be right for the ones based in bigger cities. Were the army teams different then?

Found it Dinamo were the cops, CSKA were the army

Edited by rudemedic

I thought the Dinamo team was the army team, but having looked at it think you might be right for the ones based in bigger cities. Were the army teams different then?

I read it in the book Behind the Curtain a guide to Football behind the Iron Curtain

Yes. CSKA Sofia, CSKA Moscow etc.

Latics played a "Sofia Select XI" at Boundary Park in 1966, and beat them 3-2. I still have the prog and know there were some CSKA players in the squad.

I visited the Union stadium for a game a couple of years back - it was like stepping back in time to the Communist era. Inexplicably the locals were queueing up to have their photo taken with my mate who had worn his Leeds shirt to the game. Excellent Bratwurst for 1 EURO a pop too.