Was he really that good a captain? Led by example but I remember several instances of him bawling out team mates for mistakes which may or may not have been their fault. Is that what was needed? Honest question by the way - I don't see enough games these days to have a valid opinion on matters on the pitch.

No he's not a wonderful Captain, but he's a big old unit and a great presence, just having someone like that in the team can help - look at last season. By all accounts we should have gone down, but the presence of Gregan, Pav and probably the emergence of Lee and Stephens kept us up...

Edited by oafcprozac

Was he really that good a captain? Led by example but I remember several instances of him bawling out team mates for mistakes which may or may not have been their fault. Is that what was needed? Honest question by the way - I don't see enough games these days to have a valid opinion on matters on the pitch.

Captain Gregan had many good points, and some bad pints [sic] - not sure how many.

No he's not a wonderful Captain, but he's a big old unit and a great presence, just having someone like that in the team can help - look at last season. By all accounts we should have gone down, but the presence of Gregan, Pav and probably the emergence of Lee and Stephens kept us up...

Edited by oafcprozac

One thing I'll give to Dickov is the potential of our current squad. The teams that we played under Shez and Penney when they ran out of steam looked shockingly bad, going into a game knowing you'll probably lose. Both spells under Shez and Penney were down to the midfield lacking in quality and fight. But honestly, if we had a striker this run wouldn't be half as bad because the biggest thing we are missing is goals. We need to move some in and move some out, but the base of this team (if we can keep Evina, Reid, Mvoto, Morais and the players who are in contract) is pretty good. By some miracle if we have Stephens next year our midfield is pretty much sorted if not then it's Jones or someone else. We need another centre back, I'd happily take Trotters if we doesn't mind dropping down to a sensible wage. Either way, the base of the team is there, we only need 3 or so new first team players and then some squad players.

Dickov gets a new deal. I'll show my arse in the Chron if he doesn't. I'd say there is a 0% chance Corney doesn't offer him a new deal.

Edited by PlayItLivo

One thing I'll give to Dickov is the potential of our current squad. The teams that we played under Shez and Penney when they ran out of steam looked shockingly bad, going into a game knowing you'll probably lose. Both spells under Shez and Penney were down to the midfield lacking in quality and fight. But honestly, if we had a striker this run wouldn't be half as bad because the biggest thing we are missing is goals. We need to move some in and move some out, but the base of this team (if we can keep Evina, Reid, Mvoto, Morais and the players who are in contract) is pretty good. By some miracle if we have Stephens next year our midfield is pretty much sorted if not then it's Jones or someone else. We need another centre back, I'd happily take Trotters if we doesn't mind dropping down to a sensible wage. Either way, the base of the team is there, we only need 3 or so new first team players and then some squad players.

Dickov gets a new deal. I'll show my arse in the Chron if he doesn't. I'd say there is a 0% chance Corney doesn't offer him a new deal.

Rolling contract so think that means it just keeps going until someone decides to end it? I'll call the Chron..

Next season I'd be happy to see the team perform as they did for most of this season. The football has been good from Oldham mostly, perhaps we have tried to overplay at times when we needed to be a bit more direct, a bit more clinical. Get the job done and not be as leaky at the back.

I think to stay in this league would be an achievement while finances are tight as they are. Unless we are seriously losing a battle against relegation then Dickov so continue to shape this club in the way he feels is best.

For me if the club is in the same position next season then I could accept that, a decent cup run would be nice. Get as far as possible in all the cups and not out at the first attempt of each. Treat the JPT seriously and see where it can lead. A trip to Wembley could be just what this club needs.

The next few seasons are about stability not progression but if that can happen at the same time then I'll be more than happy.

At the beginning of the season when dickov came in, we all said we'd accept an improvement from Penney, and we've got that even though it's only 1 point... I also remember people saying that even if we get a few batterings, we'd get some good wins and definitely some entertainment. And we've got that too. They might have come all at the same time but I'd say overall, dickov wasn't expected to do much more than he has done.

The 17 games without a win has probably kept anyone from trying to get dickov so he's got another season to try and build his own team. If he fails next season then fair enough, try to get someone better in but unless we're really bad we should try to keep someone like PD for as long as possible and give him a chance. I'm thinking corney has learnt to give dickov a chance because he could easily have sacked him but I can see him staying for a while

Edited by oafc-latics

I agree the honeymoon period is over from the cutting remarks on here but have far more faith in him getting it right long term. In the cold light of dawn the directors have cut the club down this season like a discarded tree. Just haven't lit the match to burn us. PD/GT will have learned a lot and been an eye opener but the bloke is open with his communication for example he said yesterday HE wasnt happy with the way players had ignored instructions. HE will have yet another clear out of players. SADLY some of those his signings but on percentages do really believe they can all work. If manager I would have signed Feeney... BUT garbage season HAS TO GO... by mutual consent. International my aris. Amos big mouth on arrival.....haunted is Dean Brill worse?? poor lad cant do anything right can he. Reid way below fitness would be good if he lost a stone and had a pre season in him.

Tonk still the potential to be lethal if he can have less pressure on him to get going young big and strong. Can see him scoring 30 if he had luck and confidence kicks in. Mvoto.... I think we would be down without him this season. Made a huge difference. White started like a train now a puff. Morrais keep without hesitation if we can. Jones... at least he has fight in him only contracted player willing to take the penalty at notts county. Lowe well people appear not to see his contribution but TWO crucial goals. Mantom waste of time....

Pluses... Tarker, Winchester, Lee, Furman.

Sadness.. Stephens desire to depart.

Frustrations... the rest et al... Alice not done a lot right or wrong, Taylor well stand up Chris. Brooke injury yes but never got a look in. Millar not got in.

More kids on way through.

End of the road:.... Rubes, Alice, Smalley (will haunt us), + ANY really. Only two players I think are essential keeps are Lee and Furman. Says it all.

However PD will get us close next year 100% faith despite the budget issues.

and whilst here interesting to see the pervs browsing my profile on basis of the photo.... ITS NOT ME... lol. Just a rather nice model I happened to meet.

I'd love to be proven wrong but imo tonk will never get anywhere near 30 goals a season....doesn't get in where it hurts enough....yet.

But let's not forget that the choice of 'his players' will have been severely restricted by the budget set by the Board.

As the saying goes 'Pay peanuts - get monkeys'.

I can only repeat my previous comment - the best we should expect is survival in Division 1 and if that happens, all credit to him.

Hasn't worked out like that for Bournemouth, Rochdale and Orient has it, or Bury getting out of L2. Had Mvoto kept cleare of injury, we may well have stayed up their. What really worries me is the fact that the strikers have not been able to score goals all season. Even at the beginning most goals were coming from midfield. Is it the way we play? I think it must be.

Hasn't worked out like that for Bournemouth, Rochdale and Orient has it, or Bury getting out of L2. Had Mvoto kept cleare of injury, we may well have stayed up their. What really worries me is the fact that the strikers have not been able to score goals all season. Even at the beginning most goals were coming from midfield. Is it the way we play? I think it must be.

Because our strikers are wimps, simple as. Brooke apart (and he's not played all season) no one is willing to get in where it hurts. A battle-hardened striker (preferably a bruiser) has to be the number one target this summer. Just think if we had someone like Fortune-West or Wayne Allison this year? Someone not afraid to get in between the muck and bullets. Porter for all his injury problems was never afraid to get in there and that's why he got so many 'lucky' goals that just hit him. I'm surprised PD hasn't drilled this into the players. If you're afraid of getting stuck in you will NEVER get into double figures...

Edited by oafcprozac

If we are looking for Strikers next season preferably with a physical presence can I throw a name into the hat

Tom Eaves

Yes I know we are looking for experience but bolton are looking to get him out on loan next season surely he must be worth a shout unless he burned his bridges here when he left.

On top of that I agree we need to look at the spine of the side a central midfielder who will sit infront of the back four in the duxbury mould and a centre half in the Gregan mould. Do what we can to get Mvoto Evina, Morais, and Brill (he's grown on me still makes mistake but he doesn't go hiding and is our most vocal player out on the pitch currently) then if nothingelse we should have a decent starting 11.

If we are looking for Strikers next season preferably with a physical presence can I throw a name into the hat

Tom Eaves

Yes I know we are looking for experience but bolton are looking to get him out on loan next season surely he must be worth a shout unless he burned his bridges here when he left.

On top of that I agree we need to look at the spine of the side a central midfielder who will sit infront of the back four in the duxbury mould and a centre half in the Gregan mould. Do what we can to get Mvoto Evina, Morais, and Brill (he's grown on me still makes mistake but he doesn't go hiding and is our most vocal player out on the pitch currently) then if nothingelse we should have a decent starting 11.

Agree with Tom Eaves, hopefully be back and with Brooke upfront next to him, they seem to got a good understanding off each others games form reserves etc.. Also, we have Morais for next season.. M'voto will be 50/50 chance, apparently he likes it here, but if rumours are true that he's on £8k a week at sunderland, he may opt to join someone else who can afford closer to that.. Evina likes it here and wants to stay so hopefully he'll get a new contract.. Not sure on Brill, reportedly one of top earners and club, and would have to take a massive pay cut i imagine to stay here..