The Club Built on Fan Ppwer

Couldn't be a template for us, we don't have anywhere near enough fans who give a :censored:.

Yes but their are enough that do. 500 travelled to Notts County after we had scored something like 2 goals in 12 games.

It's not how many, it's who their is and their dedication to Latics, don't let anyone tell you different.

Yes but their are enough that do. 500 travelled to Notts County after we had scored something like 2 goals in 12 games.

It's not how many, it's who their is and their dedication to Latics, don't let anyone tell you different.

500 went to Notts County for a piss up and a sing song

500 went to Notts County for a piss up and a sing song

[sarcasm]Yeah, I'm sure none of them actually give a :censored: about Oldham. Infact, how many where just Gloryhunters from China? Bringing the club down. There is no way anyone who actually pays there hard earned money to watch Oldham through thick and thin give a toss what so ever.[/sarcasm]

I think in some ways we already do things that Schalke do. With Dickov as manager the bond between players and fans has been much better. Open training sessions have been introduced even if there haven't been any recently.

We have playershare which directly contributes to a players wages as well.

I think in some ways we already do things that Schalke do. With Dickov as manager the bond between players and fans has been much better. Open training sessions have been introduced even if there haven't been any recently.

We have playershare which directly contributes to a players wages as well.

They also have a fans representitive on the board

They also nearly went bust several years ago.

They are also heavily indebted so they are going to struggle to build on this success. They also have a nice big state of the art stadium which goes along way to help getting people through the gates. The supporters representativ is backed by 94,000 members which give the supporters representative alot of power.

Very different dynamics to our club but am sure something we could learn from. I wonder if anyone from the trust has considered contacting someone at Schalke to pick some brains?

"..where cheap tickets and terracing ensures one of the best match-day atmospheres in world football."

How much did you pay to stand at Exeter £11 wasn't it, how much did you sing.

None. (Although TBH, I don't think I've heard a flatter Oldham away following, no one was bothered).

You don't need standing to create an atmosphere you need fans that can be bothered and don't see the football as a suspension in drinking.

How much did you pay to stand at Exeter £11 wasn't it, how much did you sing.

None. (Although TBH, I don't think I've heard a flatter Oldham away following, no one was bothered).

You don't need standing to create an atmosphere you need fans that can be bothered and don't see the football as a suspension in drinking.

Hang on, I was highlighting in the article elements of the club's success story. It's unfair of you to compare that highlighting with the failure of cheap admission and standing at Exeter to produce the same result as at Schalke.

Perhaps if I hadn't been talking to you all afternoon, I may have started the singing.

They also have a fans representitive on the board

They also nearly went bust several years ago.

They are also heavily indebted so they are going to struggle to build on this success. They also have a nice big state of the art stadium which goes along way to help getting people through the gates. The supporters representativ is backed by 94,000 members which give the supporters representative alot of power.

Very different dynamics to our club but am sure something we could learn from. I wonder if anyone from the trust has considered contacting someone at Schalke to pick some brains?

Does anyone know how they funded the stadium?

No doubt the 94,000 members pay something to be a member. How many could we muster 500?

Hang on, I was highlighting in the article elements of the club's success story. It's unfair of you to compare that highlighting with the failure of cheap admission and standing at Exeter to produce the same result as at Schalke.

Perhaps if I hadn't been talking to you all afternoon, I may have started the singing.

Yeah I know I wasn't my usual boisterous self either. But you said cheap admission and standing is the reason for one of the best atmosphere's in world football, and that quite frankly is bullocks. I gave you an example of where cheap admission and standing produced an appalling atmosphere, atmosphere at football is dependent on many things, for example apparently the atmosphere at "El Classico" about 10 days ago was apparently excellent. I doubt cheap tickets were available (in fact the cheapest ticket was probably about 40 euros) and they were all sat down. I'd expect the same situation for tonights game.

You can have everyone get in for free, a great stand for acoustics and standing, but if the fans aren't bothered then there will be no atmosphere.

Edited by rudemedic

Yeah I know I wasn't my usual boisterous self either. But you said cheap admission and standing is the reason for one of the best atmosphere's in world football, and that quite frankly is bullocks. I gave you an example of where cheap admission and standing produced an appalling atmosphere, atmosphere at football is dependent on many things, for example apparently the atmosphere at "El Classico" about 10 days ago was apparently excellent. I doubt cheap tickets were available (in fact the cheapest ticket was probably about 40 euros) and they were all sat down. I'd expect the same situation for tonights game.

You can have everyone get in for free, a great stand for acoustics and standing, but if the fans aren't bothered then there will be no atmosphere.

You keep missing the point. I didn't say cheap admission and standing produced one of the best atmospheres in world football. I quoted the part of the article where the writer said that about Schalke, hence the words in quotes.

You seem intent on looking for an argument.

BTW your dad should've gone to Specsavers!

Do not forget Exeter one of the longest trips in the country when you add cost of petrol or travelling by rail its quite expensive. Thats other reason we had a good following at Notts, as realistically it was the last local game or nearest game of season for most people.

You keep missing the point. I didn't say cheap admission and standing produced one of the best atmospheres in world football. I quoted the part of the article where the writer said that about Schalke, hence the words in quotes.

You seem intent on looking for an argument.

BTW your dad should've gone to Specsavers!

Yes but out of probably over 1000 words in that article you quoted those why? Judging by some of your previous posts they agree with your opinion. Personally I think its a load of nonsense and said as much, we will have to disagree.

Incidentally my Dad probably does need his eyes testing as its been a while but he wouldn't go to specsavers unless he was desperate.

Do not forget Exeter one of the longest trips in the country when you add cost of petrol or travelling by rail its quite expensive. Thats other reason we had a good following at Notts, as realistically it was the last local game or nearest game of season for most people.

A good following doesn't make for a great atmosphere, otherwise OT would have the best atmosphere in the country.

Yes but out of probably over 1000 words in that article you quoted those why? Judging by some of your previous posts they agree with your opinion. Personally I think its a load of nonsense and said as much, we will have to disagree.

Incidentally my Dad probably does need his eyes testing as its been a while but he wouldn't go to specsavers unless he was desperate.

I have no personal experience of Schalke, but I hear constantly that they are proof that standing should be allowed and I'm told German football is cheaper than English football. There has been a previous thread on here about it. The writer of the article mentioned these two points and last night the BBC mentioned the same two points in the 6:00pm news when previewing the match.

I quoted that bit simply to summarise the article, but as I have no knowledge whether the writer is accurate or not about the atmosphere, I cannot agree or disagree with him.

You say judging by some of my previous posts the article agrees with my opinion. What opininion is that? I have never said cheap admission and standing produce a better atmosphere. I agree that it is nonsense and that's why I would not say it. I have said it is more effective to stand and sing, than sing when sitting, as demonstrated when people stand in church to sing. I have stood and sung at the back of seated areas at away matches, and I'm sure those who do the same would agree the singing is more effective than when seated.

Also for you to disprove the writer of the article, by quoting the example of less than 200 Latics supporters, spread across a shallow open terrace and seats in a side stand, and starved of anything to sing about, is ridiculous.

To my amazement you have read something into my post that is completely wrong, and it seems to have triggered within you some sort of resentment.

BTW the reference to your dad's eyesight was about the goal not going in off Brill, which we discussed at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

to answer some of the ponderings - membership price varies according to your age with the highest level being 50 Euros per year. Just doing some quick sums will show you that even with 95000 members it's not going to cover expenses. They paid for the stadium themselves - or rather getting themselves massively into debt doing so.

They were about 200 Million Euros in debt but the Champions League run and the inevitable selling of Neuer will have brought that down somewhat.

They are a great club and there is a real sense it's a real family but they're as financially f'd as Latics. Saying that though, however bad things get, they will have their stadium and it wont get knocked down for houses! And if they do go tits up and get thrown down to the fourth division then with 95000 members they'd be back up there in 3-5 seasons. I think they did actually have to sell a share in the stadium off to the local council but methinks Gelsenkirchen council are rather more in love with their club than ours is with ours (plus a majority of the local rate payers are Schalke mad which is a bit different from Oldham)

And if anyone from the club or trust or whoever does want to find out more on an official footing and to get ideas then the Stuart Dykes guy mentioned in the article would be an excellent contact point. He does a lot of work for Schalke, is also something to do with the Football Supporters Federation and more to the point you wont need to polish up your O Level German to speak to him. I had a brief chat with him in the boozer on Wednesday and he's seems a good guy.