Chris Porter

What does get my goat is a player who is crap for his first 2 years and coming good in the 3rd and last year and then making the club a promise that he will resign, only to then leave and pocket himself lots of dosh whilst cheating his club out of any possible fee.

What're you on about?

He was here for two years. First year he got 9 in 35 (don't forget he'd stepped up from L2) and second year he got 22 in 40.

As I've said many times on here. His actions pissed me off and I'm not happy about it. But the diatribe that people come out with full of half truths and complete horse :censored: really is annoying.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What're you on about?

He was here for two years. First year he got 9 in 35 (don't forget he'd stepped up from L2) and second year he got 22 in 40.

As I've said many times on here. His actions pissed me off and I'm not happy about it. But the diatribe that people come out with full of half truths and complete horse :censored: really is annoying.

I'm more annoyed that I stuck a fiver at 40/1 on him being top scorer in our play off season. Should have backed him each way. In my opinion he's what was lacking last season. BUT - too injury prone and not worth the risk.

Edited by pukka

:rolleyes:

I'm not even going to bother with an argument all I'm going to say is that anyone who thought Porter was a poor player simply doesn't understand the game of Football and probably thought that Eardley was crap, Stephens should of been dropped, that Danny Whitaker is better than Richie Wellens and Latics should only ever play 4-4-2

Boo hiss, fans love to personally hate players for wanting to better their short careers

Better his career? What a load of bollocks. He went to Motherwell to better his bank balance, nothing more. If you'd heard him first hand, bleating about how hard done to he was that he had to travel all the way from Wigan to Oldham to do some community work when he was injured, you'd know what the mentality of the lad was.

There was no way on this earth he was EVER intending to stay in Scotland for any length of time.

And before anybody else is at pains to point out the Paul warne situation, I thought he was treated despicably as well.

I never thought stephens should have been dropped. I thought he looked knackered. He'd played a lot of games and we were told when he first arrived from Bury he had fitness issues. I still think that is / was the case. He looked well off it for southampton vs dale and I have no doubt he'll start the season really well after a break.

Better his career? What a load of bollocks. He went to Motherwell to better his bank balance, nothing more. If you'd heard him first hand, bleating about how hard done to he was that he had to travel all the way from Wigan to Oldham to do some community work when he was injured, you'd know what the mentality of the lad was.

There was no way on this earth he was EVER intending to stay in Scotland for any length of time.

And before anybody else is at pains to point out the Paul warne situation, I thought he was treated despicably as well.

I didnt specifically name Porter did I ? Its just the majority of players that move on from the club always get called and ridiculed , most fans think players should stay at Latics all their career on a low wage

Edited by razza699

I didnt specifically name Porter did I ? Its just the majority of players that move on from the club always get called and ridiculed , most fans think players should stay at Latics all their career on a low wage

The thread is titled 'Chris Porter', no?

Perhaps you should have said that you weren't talking about the money grabbing whiner, and that you were actually on about somebody altogether different!

All I wanted from Porter was for him to show a little loyalty after the club had paid a significant amount via tribunal for him, nursed him through his first season and then made him what was reportedly a VERY handsome offer to extend his contract.

Proof if there was ever any needed that whilst what he did was callous and left a bad taste he did it knowing what we did when we had him - he's not got a long career ahead of him and probably had very genuine concerns about maximising his income.

What're you on about?

First you're justifying his antics then saying it pissed you off despite already conceding it was justifiable.

Long story short, the guy made a sideways move for a quick pay day when he could have got a better deal staying in England and moving to a Championship club where he'd have no doubt got a reasonable signing on fee (although less than Motherwell paid given they got him for free) and i would expect a much larger basic wage. It was a purely selfish and misinformed move made by someone who from the interviews i've seen has the intelligence of Forest Gump.

The Paul Warne thing has absolutely no bearing on whether people think resigning Chris Porter would be a good idea, nor whether they happily supported Lee Hughes. I should make it clear that I didn't agree with Warne being shafted, nor did I chant 'Hughesy' although i did find some of his on pitch antics entertaining. All of that is however completely irrelevant to my views on Chris Porter and whether i think we should resign him (which won't happen anyway). The guy shafted us without any good reason when you really analyse what he made out of it. Yes this may be because he is a moron rather than being out of malice towards the club but the fact is he put absoultely no value whatsoever on what Oldham Athletic and to a greater extent what Bury FC did for him. The guy's a prick, why defend him?

What're you on about?

I thought it was 3 seasons so firstly I apologise for my most horendous error :wink:

You really should calm down and not get so agressive over things though.............. Right little keyboard warrior arn't we?

:rolleyes:

I'm not even going to bother with an argument all I'm going to say is that anyone who thought Porter was a poor player simply doesn't understand the game of Football and probably thought that Eardley was crap, Stephens should of been dropped, that Danny Whitaker is better than Richie Wellens and Latics should only ever play 4-4-2

Poor player probably isn't the word, but he wasn't exactly technically gifted, was he? Had a great knack of being in the right place at the right time.

I thought it was 3 seasons so firstly I apologise for my most horendous error :wink:

You really should calm down and not get so agressive over things though.............. Right little keyboard warrior arn't we?

That's rich coming from yourself fella.

Poor player probably isn't the word, but he wasn't exactly technically gifted, was he? Had a great knack of being in the right place at the right time.

it's called off the ball movement, it's an unoticed skill which some people never apreciate and Porter's off the ball movement certainly made up for his lack of pace and in my eyes this made him more technically gifted than most. We saw a perfect example of good off the ball movment when Dickov came off the bench on Saturday and straight away the team started to tick more than when Feeney was on or if you want a better example look no further than how the Germans destroyed us in the World Cup. End of the day it's a team game and it's just as important what you can do off the ball aswell as on it

First you're justifying his antics then saying it pissed you off despite already conceding it was justifiable.

The guy's a prick, why defend him?

The answer to both is balance. Most of the posts on here are blindly one sided (See Lancy Lad's which was based on no facts at all) which doesn't create valuable or interesting debate, just diatribe.

I'm not even slightly agitated, that post was written in three visits whilst doing other things at work and also checking the stats on Soccerbase. This one's taken over 2 hours.

I'm not angry or ranting. Just trying to provide perspective and debate points, as above.

The answer to both is balance. Most of the posts on here are blindly one sided (See Lancy Lad's which was based on no facts at all) which doesn't create valuable or interesting debate, just diatribe.

I'm not even slightly agitated, that post was written in three visits whilst doing other things at work and also checking the stats on Soccerbase. This one's taken over 2 hours.

I'm not angry or ranting. Just trying to provide perspective and debate points, as above.

Its taken you 2 hours to write that? :shock: My gosh you're a slow typer! :wink:

Obviously too much time on your hands, get a proper job :grin:

Thanks for the tip though, I will us Soccerbase next time!!!

Surely the best way to judge how good/bad your career is in a given field is by the amount you're paid. Therefore bettering bank balance and bettering career generally go hand in hand.

I don't think you can argue that he'd have been better off staying here in terms of his future career either. Just look at Chris Taylor - by staying, he's less in demand now than he used to be.

I don't see the point in creating debate for debate's sake. The only person who holds the view that Porter was in the right is Porter. People are just saying they wouldn't touch him with a barge pole because he's a selfish unnapreciative :censored: (which is fact rather than opinion in all honesty) I don't see why we need to have a self appointed devil's advocate on all issues for the sake of debate. Afterall, Chris Moore was just looking after his own interests, nothing wrong with looking after number one right?

Offer him a pay per play deal if nobody else takes him. Too many loanees seem to have come out of the blocks flying only to seem disinterested once they have got themselves a long term loan deal or a contract. That way he'll be playing for his supper......

Surely the best way to judge how good/bad your career is in a given field is by the amount you're paid. Therefore bettering bank balance and bettering career generally go hand in hand.

I don't think you can argue that he'd have been better off staying here in terms of his future career either. Just look at Chris Taylor - by staying, he's less in demand now than he used to be.

Perhaps I should have added the caveat that I expected him to show a bit of loyalty by either staying to help fire us to promotion OR to do the decent thing and go to a Championship club in England where we (and Bury come to think of it) would have been entitled to a fee for him, especially as we'd paid IIRC circa £100,000 via tribunal.

I don't blame him for wanting to improve the level he played at, but he could have easily done that by going to a Championship club. If he'd chosen to do that, id have been disappointed to lose his services, but would have said fair play. It's the fact that he went to Sweatyland in order to get a fat signing on fee, when there wasn't a cat in hells chance he had any intention of staying there that I find so unpalatable!

Edited by danoafc

He didn't want to go to Plymouth at Christmas as he thought he would do better with us as we were absolutely flying at the time, although maybe him or his agent figured that the offers would be worth hanging on for despite the need for a fee in England if we had carried on. He would have gone higher than Plymouth if we'd carried that form on through the season with him banging goals in.

I do think people who didn't rate him are nuts, sorry. He scored a lot of his goals from one simple plan - go to that spot where Lids crossed it to - but no other sod could manage it. I heard that he fluked a lot of his goals, I would love to be half as lucky in football as he was. He scored with his head and either foot and we (Prozac, back me up!) also scored more from others with him than without him. The latter point making him the exact opposite of Beckett, who was actually cancerous to the chances of an effective team yet idolised by many.

A trait that so many forwards don't have. Especially at our level.

OT. Wouldnt have him back. I'm sure his mum will make the right choice for him....