Chris Porter

I can't think there's any doubting his ability, but I hope his face drops off and his willy starts growing inwards.

Needless to say I don't want him back, but I hope to see him at an Oldham game one last time before his career ends prematurely (hopefully in that game and in front of me), so I can tell him what a &£$% he is.

Don't think I'm being too harsh there.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked Porter, in his first season he was understudy to Beckett, who at the time was past it could still find the net but looked so off the pace.

He looked good when played in his first season, and a 9 goal return after a step up and playing 2nd fiddle, is a great little start.

2nd season he was immense, the team was buzzing and the away win at Gillingham was proof how good we were, Porter tore them apart.

It was a bitter pill to swallow regarding him leaving, but the fact he saw his future in Scotland says a lot for a player, as in all my years watching football, i cant remember a Scottish Prem player making a major impact on the Top flight. (i could be completely wrong, and would appreciate it if anyone knows differently!)

McCoist tried, Hartley tried, Petrov at Villa maybe???

I liked Porter, in his first season he was understudy to Beckett, who at the time was past it could still find the net but looked so off the pace.

He looked good when played in his first season, and a 9 goal return after a step up and playing 2nd fiddle, is a great little start.

2nd season he was immense, the team was buzzing and the away win at Gillingham was proof how good we were, Porter tore them apart.

It was a bitter pill to swallow regarding him leaving, but the fact he saw his future in Scotland says a lot for a player, as in all my years watching football, i cant remember a Scottish Prem player making a major impact on the Top flight. (i could be completely wrong, and would appreciate it if anyone knows differently!)

Super Steven Fletcher ! !

I think the last player to do so was Paulo Di Canio, but that was after he flopped at Wednesday

He didn't want to go to Plymouth at Christmas as he thought he would do better with us as we were absolutely flying at the time, although maybe him or his agent figured that the offers would be worth hanging on for despite the need for a fee in England if we had carried on. He would have gone higher than Plymouth if we'd carried that form on through the season with him banging goals in.

I do think people who didn't rate him are nuts, sorry. He scored a lot of his goals from one simple plan - go to that spot where Lids crossed it to - but no other sod could manage it. I heard that he fluked a lot of his goals, I would love to be half as lucky in football as he was. He scored with his head and either foot and we (Prozac, back me up!) also scored more from others with him than without him. The latter point making him the exact opposite of Beckett, who was actually cancerous to the chances of an effective team yet idolised by many.

Yeovil (H) Head

Bristol City (H) Head

Chasetown (H) Two shots

Brentford (A) Hat-Trick of Headers

Walsall (H) Head

Hudds (A) Shot

Forest (A) Two Shots

Blackpool (A) Shot

Gills (H) Two Shots

Donny (A) Tap in????

Orient (H) Brace of Headers

Bradford (H) Close range shot and header

Hudds (A) Hit him on the arse

Kings Lynn (A) Hit on the shoulder/bicep

Crewe (H) Shot

Northampton (H) Shot

Rotherham (A) Header and a shot

Gills (A) Lob

Forest (H) Close range scramble

Northampton (A) Header (Clattered by keeper)

Tranmere (A) Lob that really should be an og by the keeper or credited to Hall

Hudds (H) Shot

Brighton (A) Towering header

Chesterfield (H) Header

So out of the 32 goals the ahit-house scored for us three could be regarded as jammy - Hudds (A) KIngs Lynn (A) and The Bin Dippers at Home

Surely the best way to judge how good/bad your career is in a given field is by the amount you're paid. Therefore bettering bank balance and bettering career generally go hand in hand.

I don't think you can argue that he'd have been better off staying here in terms of his future career either. Just look at Chris Taylor - by staying, he's less in demand now than he used to be.

chris taylors value hasnt dropped because he has stayed loyal to us....his value dropped because towards the end of shez season he dropped off the pace,defenders had worked him out and doubled up on him making him ineffective...under penney he wasnt right,was carrying injuries and was made to play on when he shouldnt have been playing..his confidence went and his effectiveness went...first 3 months under dickov he was still finding his way back to proper fitness and wasnt played in his preffered position....look how he has finished this season,top scorer full of confidence and back to some sort of form when he first broke through...

as for porter...no thanks...injury prone.....and hughes....although i think he could still do a job for us,its all the baggage that comes with it....

Yeovil (H) Head

Bristol City (H) Head

Chasetown (H) Two shots

Brentford (A) Hat-Trick of Headers

Walsall (H) Head

Hudds (A) Shot

Forest (A) Two Shots

Blackpool (A) Shot

Gills (H) Two Shots

Donny (A) Tap in????

Orient (H) Brace of Headers

Bradford (H) Close range shot and header

Hudds (A) Hit him on the arse

Kings Lynn (A) Hit on the shoulder/bicep

Crewe (H) Shot

Northampton (H) Shot

Rotherham (A) Header and a shot

Gills (A) Lob

Forest (H) Close range scramble

Northampton (A) Header (Clattered by keeper)

Tranmere (A) Lob that really should be an og by the keeper or credited to Hall

Hudds (H) Shot

Brighton (A) Towering header

Chesterfield (H) Header

So out of the 32 goals the ahit-house scored for us three could be regarded as jammy - Hudds (A) KIngs Lynn (A) and The Bin Dippers at Home

Its awesome how you remember this stuff.

Does your head not hurt sometimes?

Utmost repsect.

My wife has a good memory too. She went to a works do a year later and told everyone what they had for starters!

I forget to go to lunch sometimes!

Edited by singe

Its awesome how you remember this stuff.

Does your head not hurt sometimes?

Utmost repsect.

My wife has a good memory too. She went to a works do a year later and told everyone what they had for starters!

I forget to go to lunch sometimes!

Only two i'm not 100% about are his goal at Donny and the two v Chasetown...

He didn't want to go to Plymouth at Christmas as he thought he would do better with us as we were absolutely flying at the time, although maybe him or his agent figured that the offers would be worth hanging on for despite the need for a fee in England if we had carried on. He would have gone higher than Plymouth if we'd carried that form on through the season with him banging goals in.

I do think people who didn't rate him are nuts, sorry. He scored a lot of his goals from one simple plan - go to that spot where Lids crossed it to - but no other sod could manage it. I heard that he fluked a lot of his goals, I would love to be half as lucky in football as he was. He scored with his head and either foot and we (Prozac, back me up!) also scored more from others with him than without him. The latter point making him the exact opposite of Beckett, who was actually cancerous to the chances of an effective team yet idolised by many.

Beckett >>>>> Porter >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hughes.

I feel guilty now prozac! I meant to ark you to prove that the rest of the team scored more with him in the team! Whilst i know that no sod scored whilst beckett was playing.

Why it only took me two minutes.

From Boxing Day 2005

Becket 17

Butcher 4

Wellens 2

Warne 2

Porter 1

Lidds 1

Eyres 1

• 2 weeks later...