New Labour Council on Latics

From two seperate stories in the Chron

The Labour leader’s plans include:

::Devolving power by creating town halls in each of the borough’s six districts.

::Saving £130,000 from members’ allowances.

::Resolving the issue of a new stadium for Oldham Athletic.

::Establishing new entertainment facilities in the borough, which could include two cinemas.

--------

Councillor McMahon also said he was committed to keeping Latics in Oldham.

Speaking about the future, he said: “It’s going to be challenging, it is a long-term project and we won’t resolve things in 12 months. But I hope people see a change very early on.

“Oldham needs to be confident in itself and stop beating itself up. We believe in Oldham — it’s time people got behind Oldham.”

Finally, Royton will emerge from the imperialist Oldham yoke. Devolution today, indepedence tomorrow!

Oh yeah, and the stadium.........it's good that they mention it but think we've all been burnt too often to crack open the champers. Even if they do do something, the Liberals will have a swing to them in a few years and cack all over it.

Maybe in some far off distant day the new devolved Royton Council will give Latics a home and we'll all be happy. Forever.

Finally, Royton will emerge from the imperialist Oldham yoke. Devolution today, indepedence tomorrow!

Oh yeah, and the stadium.........it's good that they mention it but think we've all been burnt too often to crack open the champers. Even if they do do something, the Liberals will have a swing to them in a few years and cack all over it.

Maybe in some far off distant day the new devolved Royton Council will give Latics a home and we'll all be happy. Forever.

royton, full of city" check the chron. :lol:

::Devolving power by creating town halls in each of the borough’s six districts.

::Saving £130,000 from members’ allowances.

::Establishing new entertainment facilities in the borough, which could include two cinemas.

--------

Speaking about the future, he said: “It’s going to be challenging, it is a long-term project and we won’t resolve things in 12 months. But I hope people see a change very early on.

“Oldham needs to be confident in itself and stop beating itself up. We believe in Oldham — it’s time people got behind Oldham.”

Good luck to the man. Let's hope he succeeeds where other Council Leaders have failed.

:unsure:

--------

The rarely-wrong Chron also says the Council Leader’s plans include:

Focusing on Hollinwood as a key gateway into the town, and looking at ways of attracting investors from the private sector into the borough.

Reading between the lines and putting two and two together, and then coming up with my 15,000th post, I think this may be the first indication from the Council that the Kaskenmoor School and former Hollinwood Gas Works sites (already speculated about on here) could be the location for the new stadium and adjacent leisure facilities for OAFC and investing partners.

The School site will involve NIMBYs and the Gasworks site will involve compliance with the minefield of red tape connected with the reclamation of contaminated land.

Contaminated land reclamation

When it comes to consultation with affected parties and procedural compliance, the Council’s record is abysmal, so the new Leader must ensure the job is done properly. This will be very time-consuming but time is not on the side of Latics.

Focusing on Hollinwood as a key gateway into the town, and looking at ways of attracting investors from the private sector into the borough.

Reading between the lines and putting two and two together, and then coming up with my 15,000th post, I think this may be the first indication from the Council that the Kaskenmoor School and former Hollinwood Gas Works sites (already speculated about on here) could be the location for the new stadium and adjacent leisure facilities for OAFC and investing partners.

The School site will involve NIMBYs and the Gasworks site will involve compliance with the minefield of red tape connected with the reclamation of contaminated land.

When it comes to consultation with affected parties and procedural compliance, the Council’s record is abysmal, so the new Leader must ensure the job is done properly. This will be very time-consuming but time is not on the side of Latics.

15,000 posts :imnotworthy:

Jim McMahon also lives just over the border in Failsworth, and is very close to that area of Hollinwood!

Just though I'd do a + for your 15,000 post

Latics +cinema + other stuff = self finaincing no?

Proof is in the pudding and all that.

Will the stadium scheme turn out to be Cabinet pudding, junket, Eton mess, rag pudding, spotted dick, tapioca or, the last resort, Yorkshire pudding? :unsure: Let’s hope the new Leader is not to be trifled with and it’s the Queen of puddings.

Will the stadium scheme turn out to be Cabinet pudding, junket, Eton mess, rag pudding, spotted dick, tapioca or, the last resort, Yorkshire pudding? :unsure: Let’s hope the new Leader is not to be trifled with and it’s the Queen of puddings.

at the moment - crumble is the closest analogy I can think of... :peepwall:

Let's hope the new administration can sort something out. But don't forget its still the same officers working there.

I hope that was a Fruedian slip. :blink:

Edited by BP1960