Lets get this fella

Where BP1960 to give us the low-down – our resident Droylsden lover!!

Indeed I have seen Smith a few times, he never seemed to settle at Droylsden. I don't think their passing style suited him as he wasn't particularly mobile and preferred the ball in the air.

I have to say on his form at Droylsden I wouldn't have recommended him to a league club, having said that he is only young and if he works hard at improving his game he may go higher.

There is another player at Droylsden in the England C squad in left back Liam Brownhill, and although great going forward with a fine first touch and excellent distribution he isn't as good defensively.

There are without doubt players in non league with far more ability than some in the football league, but ability is only one aspect and application and character also have to come into equation.

Now is the time to cast our net and secure talent in the non-league where compensation is minor, risk is low and the gamble of signing basedon potential is worth the gamble both in time and finances.

Too many success stories to mention amongst other teams at our level and we've even had our own with Fitz Hall, Trotman, Andrews

Now is the time to cast our net and secure talent in the non-league where compensation is minor, risk is low and the gamble of signing basedon potential is worth the gamble both in time and finances.

Too many success stories to mention amongst other teams at our level and we've even had our own with Fitz Hall, Trotman, Andrews

You've kind of defeated your own argument there. Every single year we go through this "Why do we not get gems from non-League" (I'm not saying you specifically, just OWTB in general). But as you say we've had our own success stories and I'd be willing to put a pound on us having had a similar level of success to other comparable clubs.

Non-League players are a risk. They still need all the peripheral costs of insurance, housing, etc. and you also have to consider the effects they can have on a squad. As 1960 points out many have the talent but are at that level for a reason - such as they're a disruption on the squad. With the young team we have the last thing you need is someone who'll encourage boozing and the like on impressionable players.

I'd say we do reasonably well out of non-League. That's not to say we shouldn't look further and take chances where they're worth the risk - just to pre-empt the points that people will no doubt make quoting your post and moaning our poor performance in signing non-League players.

Non-league talent isn't always cheap, either. There are still transfer fees payable in some cases, and asking players to give up their day jobs to turn pro means they'll want paying more for that. Not saying we shouldn't scour non-league, just that it isn't necessarily cheap or risk-free.

For every Fitz or Wayne, how many Duncan Roberts', Wes Wilkinsons or Paul Jones' have we seen?

Non-league talent isn't always cheap, either. There are still transfer fees payable in some cases, and asking players to give up their day jobs to turn pro means they'll want paying more for that. Not saying we shouldn't scour non-league, just that it isn't necessarily cheap or risk-free.

For every Fitz or Wayne, how many Duncan Roberts', Wes Wilkinsons or Paul Jones' have we seen?

We will never know about Paul Jones, he suffered an extremley serious injury while at Latics and could well have made the grade otherwise.

As for Wilkinson - the talent was there but he didn't step up to the mark.

:lol: totally forgot about him

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/wes-wilkinson/profil/spieler_16742.html

1.) He's a student- he'll be happy getting a job any job, a lot of students getting to the end of their undergraduate degree this year won't be lucky enough to get a job. Provided he makes more than signing on and whatever he gets for playing for whoever and we offer him more than any other pro clubs looking at him I think he would sign for us.

2.) He's obviously got his head screwed on pretty well, playing for the uni first team being a semi-pro and being a final year takes a lot of work, I can't see him acting all billy big ones.

3.) Maybe he's at non-league level because he had a growth spurt late, got injured when on the books of a pro club or the thousands of other reasons, including the fact that unless you are on the books of a Premier League club at 16 at this time of year going to uni is usually the better option.

Then again he could be :censored: but it does no harm in having a look, in fact I'd make sure I had someone from the club watching that game and any others the England C team play.

Agreed

For every sucess, there are hundreds of failures.

It's a bit like the gambler that tells you about the ones he won, but fails to tell you about the the many he backed that failed.

Edited by singe

I don't agree there are too many sucess stores, and there are 100's of failures

I don't agree there are too many sucess stores, and there are 100's of failures

theres a few but not hundreds as you say

Chris Smalling, Kevin Phillips . Even our very own Mr Dowie made it from semi pro

http://blog.sport.co.uk/Football/592/Top_Ten_Non_League_to_Premier_League.aspx

also the likes of Beckford, DJ Campbell and Macail smith are some others

Indeed I have seen Smith a few times, he never seemed to settle at Droylsden. I don't think their passing style suited him as he wasn't particularly mobile and preferred the ball in the air.

I have to say on his form at Droylsden I wouldn't have recommended him to a league club, having said that he is only young and if he works hard at improving his game he may go higher.

There is another player at Droylsden in the England C squad in left back Liam Brownhill, and although great going forward with a fine first touch and excellent distribution he isn't as good defensively.

There are without doubt players in non league with far more ability than some in the football league, but ability is only one aspect and application and character also have to come into equation.

and also their willingness/ability to give up their full time jobs for a short term contract

and also their willingness/ability to give up their full time jobs for a short term contract

Correct Dave, A few years ago I knew a very good player who turned down league offers as he was a high flying bank executive (I assume he's either very rich now or wishes he had took up the offers) :unsure:

student = no job!

He says he's always wanted to be a pro footballer so will prob take a chance if offered it rather than a job.

Jobs pay real money but following dreams an reaching them has a better satisfaction.

Definately worth having a look.

The best of the best university players are nowhere near League One standard. This lad may be an exception, but two mates of mine are considered up there with the best in the country having made the England Universities squad and they both play at lower league level on a Saturday with Gloucester and Sheffield FC.

Like I said considering this lad may be an odd exception considering he's made the England C side but can't see many of that standard being near to out young lads like Brooke et al.

Agreed

For every sucess, there are hundreds of failures.

It's a bit like the gambler that tells you about the ones he won, but fails to tell you about the the many he backed that failed.

But how many youth team players fail to make the grade - even from the top clubs ?...percentage wise more success may come from non league players.

If for example Latics have had around around 25% success rate in recruiting from non league could they manage that level or more from youth team products (thats just a guess, our stato's may be able to come up with some reliable figures}.

This is not knocking youth team systems where Latics have probably done better than most, I'm just adding another point of view.

Edited by BP1960