Are the play-offs good for football?

Remember when they had playoffs at the bottom end too? Tighten the bumhole even more towards the end of the season. Also, when Leeds beat us in the playoffs they didn't go up cos they lost to charlton ( iirc, might be wrong) who were already in division one and who ended up staying there. That bit I didn't like (apart from it happening to Leeds!) and wouldn't like to see back.

I have most of the innovations to the modern game but have come around to thinking the playoffs are brilliant. Ps they dont need them in the premiership as the euro places do the same job of keeping the upper league places worth playing for

Didnt it happen to us the first season they were introduced ?

Yes and I am still scarred by it all....chuffing Leeds...grr..

We were winning, scored a goal in the RRE, one of their players hurried picked it up, ran to the centre spot put ball down, KO, one pass straight to our penalty box, one kick ball in back of net....I was still chuffing jumping up and down celebrating when that happend. Away goal rule if I remember too

Totally gutted, longest walk up sheepfoot lane ever.

Chuffing hate them playoffs and Leeds

we were of the 1st team every to finish third and not go automatically up...prozac may have the exact points but I think we were something like 8 points clear of 4th place. disappointed.gif

It may not seem 'fair' when you look at the promoted teams over the years, and yes it does seem a bit harsh that after 46 games you can lose out to a team that was far worse than you over the season.

And if the purpose was solely to identify the best 3 teams in the division and promote them, then its a terrible system. However, football is an entertainment business, and therefore the introduction of the play-offs makes the season more exciting / interesting for a far greater number of teams / supporters.

So I support it as a system.

Tweaking it to give the higher placed teams more of an advantage is an option - but its not a bad way at the moment.

I have most of the innovations to the modern game but have come around to thinking the playoffs are brilliant. Ps they dont need them in the premiership as the euro places do the same job of keeping the upper league places worth playing for

I don't think it will be that long until the Premier League introduces playoffs for the last CL spot. I think they should as well.