because he's the best of what we've currently got. ive only ever seen brooke do 2 good things (his walsall goal and a diving header against colchester or someone, and i didn't see his super-human displays in pre-season) and feeney at least keeps possession and looks interested.

plus feeney's a regular international, can't say that about brooke :wink:

Best of what we got? How did you work that one out? By the number of goals he has scored? The number of assists? The amount of time he is needlessly offisde and gives away fouls that don't need to be given away? How threatening he looks in the oppo box with all those shots he takes?

I'd have him back if we get in a goalscorer as well. It would make his lack of finishing ability less obvious, and allow him to concentrate on his better attributes. Playing alongside a decent finisher might improve his as well...

I thought Tonks gave us a bit of physical presence against some huge centre halfs, if we had another striker feeding off him (Feeney) and banging 10 goals or so in I think we would want him back in a heartbeat. Was he not our most prolific forward with only 4 goals!!!!

I'd have him back, 21 years old and loads to learn, under Dickovs wing. Defo for me. He was let down by not having a regular striking partner.

Best of what we got? How did you work that one out? By the number of goals he has scored? The number of assists? The amount of time he is needlessly offisde and gives away fouls that don't need to be given away? How threatening he looks in the oppo box with all those shots he takes?

Well I've never seen smith, not seen enough of bembo which leaves Brooke and feeney. Don't rate Brooke at all and I've tried to give him a chance but he's about as effective as feeney is for scoring. I did see feeney giving defenders a hard time near the end of the season though and he's more likely to have a better 2011/12.

If Brooke and feeney are the strikeforce for next season, we're in trouble, but feeney would get more goals than Brooke.

Well I've never seen smith, not seen enough of bembo which leaves Brooke and feeney. Don't rate Brooke at all and I've tried to give him a chance but he's about as effective as feeney is for scoring. I did see feeney giving defenders a hard time near the end of the season though and he's more likely to have a better 2011/12.

If Brooke and feeney are the strikeforce for next season, we're in trouble, but feeney would get more goals than Brooke.

ahem………Reid?

I thought Tonks gave us a bit of physical presence against some huge centre halfs, if we had another striker feeding off him (Feeney) and banging 10 goals or so in I think we would want him back in a heartbeat. Was he not our most prolific forward with only 4 goals!!!!

I'd have him back, 21 years old and loads to learn, under Dickovs wing. Defo for me. He was let down by not having a regular striking partner.

7 goals.. For some reason OS, BBC etc thought we had 2 Tonk's playing for us last season..

The Tonk who had 7 goals in 24 games, missed the odd sitter, couldn't head the ball but could control it superbly on his chest and jumped in to the Chaddy End after a cracking finish - I'd have him.

The Tonk who couldn't score for toffee, never attacked the near post, head down after he missed even though the rebound was coming straight back to him - he can feck off!

His lack of improvement through the season was a concern.

Edited by opinions4u

The Tonk who had 7 goals in 24 games, missed the odd sitter, couldn't head the ball but could control it superbly on his chest and jumped in to the Chaddy End after a cracking finish - I'd have him.

The Tonk who couldn't score for toffee, never attacked the near post, head down after he missed even though the rebound was coming straight back to him - he can feck off!

His lack of imporvement through the season was a concern.

In a nutshell….and why i'm out….

If the decision was mine to make, i'd look elsewhere. I just don't see him as a regular scorer and that is what we are badly lacking.

For me, especially in the box, he doesn't use his physical attributes i.e. height and strength to his advantage.....thanks for the effort but no thanks.

I have spoken with Tonks and he has no idea as to where he is going to be playing football next season. I for one hope he returns, especially now that we have another striker with height. He never let us down last season and like Evita and Mvoto when he played he at least gave 100%. Let's admit it he was our lone striker last year. I think having had most of last season with us, he will be a far better player this year.

His lack of improvement through the season was a concern.

Think this shows why he went off the boil, first season in professional football, you wouldn't expect a young lad to play in over 40 games (most from start until end of the game). You would expect around 30 games with a large minority of them from bench(around 10?). Everyone could see it took its toll on him which is probably why we saw two versions of him.. He would be a good squad player on incentive based contract..

Think this shows why he went off the boil, first season in professional football, you wouldn't expect a young lad to play in over 40 games (most from start until end of the game). You would expect around 30 games with a large minority of them from bench(around 10?). Everyone could see it took its toll on him which is probably why we saw two versions of him.. He would be a good squad player on incentive based contract..

Agree 100%, Young lad, would have expected him to be on the bench for large parts last season, showed the lack of quality in depth we had up front at times.

Kept Smalley/Alesandra/Kelly out of the team, I said before if he had a half decent and regular strike partner he would of added to his goals, I also agree he look knackered the last 10 games.

I would get him in the squad if we could get him, 7 goals, 1st full season yes he missed sitters but he got himself into the positions, he was good at running the channels and his lack of goals in the latter part of the season was part and parcel of the poor run the whole team had. Can only improve on last season IMO lets say he gets 10-12 goals next season and looking at the chances he missed he could have done this last season! Id rather have him if the money was right, at least then the gamble on Smith (if he struggles) would be worth it. If Smith can't cut it we will be back into the loan market for another journey man striker. I just think sometimes we dont appreciate what we have, and for me he is a poor finisher (Huddersfield goal was special tho!) but he makes that up in his effort and desire. love to see him under PD for another season. A gamble I would take anyway- Poor mans Heskey, yes please!

I think that is the frustration

Some players would step up to the plate, take their chance.

Others would coast along.

It would seem the lack of improvement for the unexopected extra competitive match time is the main concern as O4U says.

The big questions, given his contribution and improvement this year, how much can be expected next year.

I'd say not a lot.