Interesting article

We have just let a similar left back go with very similar attributes and performances as Bertrand, yet some believe he "isn't as good as Black", or that he "wasn't that good anyway".

As with Evina - Bertrand was very young and inexperienced when he was at BP, yet you could see he had the potential to have a very good future in the game, with the right decisions, choices and advice.

To decide a young player is 'not good enough' (as some have said about Evina) after half a season on loan at BP, regardless of the potential he shows is a bit premature really.

I certainly didn't think "future international" when he was at Latics.

I didn't but you could definetly see potential there and with the clubs he has been with on loan and then training with the first team at chelsea he may now be just that quailty.

We have just let a similar left back go with very similar attributes and performances as Bertrand, yet some believe he "isn't as good as Black", or that he "wasn't that good anyway".

As with Evina - Bertrand was very young and inexperienced when he was at BP, yet you could see he had the potential to have a very good future in the game, with the right decisions, choices and advice.

To decide a young player is 'not good enough' (as some have said about Evina) after half a season on loan at BP, regardless of the potential he shows is a bit premature really.

If half a season is all you have to see them, then that's over what you make your choices.

The big difference in my view between the two (Bertrand/Evina) is that one's a defender and one isn't. Might as well stick Feeney at full back as much as Evina.

He isn't as good as Black at playing fullback.

Wasn't Bertrand a fixture in a back line along with Eardley, Gregan and Trotman around that time we won about 9 away games on the spin and went on to beat Leeds and Everton? I could be wrong, all these loanees look the same to me these days [NOT RACIST!]

Thought he was a season earlier.

Wasn't Bertrand a fixture in a back line along with Eardley, Gregan and Trotman around that time we won about 9 away games on the spin and went on to beat Leeds and Everton? I could be wrong, all these loanees look the same to me these days [NOT RACIST!]

IIRC he went off injured at Elland Road and Eards came on. Didn't later in the week at Goodison.

Thought he was a season earlier.

Nope, FMS is (sort of)right.

Bertrand played his last game for us at Elland road in the win; and was back a Chelsea while we were beating Everton. He then went out on loan to Norwich in the Jan transfer window.

In response to Futcher - its all opinions at the end of the day; but I thought there was (& is) a world of difference between Ryan & cedric, as defenders and as footballers in general; heavily in faovur of RB as by far & away the better of the 2.

Watched the U21 game last night he had a tidy game, lost the ball a bit and some of his crosses were awful, but in decent back four he did ok against a good Spanish side, did the simple things realy well. Ryan is a much better defender than Cedric IMO but I can't see him in the senior side.

Danny Jones was one of the better left backs we have had on loan in recent times.

We can be pretty sure that we will see plenty of young players at the club in the forseeable future who are either on loan from Premier League or have moved out of these clubs to develop their careers.

Decent support for these players gives us the chance to be a go to club for Prem clubs or for the better youngsters and for us to make a lot of money in helping to get young players on the road to stardom. This goes for our home grown too.

We get to have players of a quality we couldnt expect currently. It can be a win, win situation.

Watched the U21 game last night he had a tidy game, lost the ball a bit and some of his crosses were awful, but in decent back four he did ok against a good Spanish side, did the simple things realy well. Ryan is a much better defender than Cedric IMO but I can't see him in the senior side.

Danny Jones was one of the better left backs we have had on loan in recent times.

Its always interesting to see how players develop Danny Jones looked a real prospect when he first came Strong quick composed and could put a good cross in yet where is he now?

The Key point in that article is that Pearce says how keen Bertrand is to learn and improve and perhaps thats why he's now where he is and is a lesson for any of the young players coming through those that take on board whats being said to them and make a real effort to better themselves can go on to be as good as they want.