Burnley likely to move for Taylor?

Pure speculation, but I have heard a snippet or two. They were interested in January and were considering a bid for whatever reason it failed to materialise. Now, given that their talisman Eagles is likely to be moving on I reckon there's more than a chance of them coming back in with an offer. By strange coincidence we play them on Tuesday night and I wouldn't be too surprised if they had made a firm offer by the end of the week. Chris has a year left and we've not heard anything about an extension from either party.

There are rumours of a bid of upwards of a million, personally I think that's pie in the sky and I reckon we'd let him go for £350-400k. I'd be loathe to lose the Chris Taylor we saw last season, he was our main man for long periods of the season and played in a variety of positions. He'd be a great loss to what PD is trying to do here.

Edited by oafcprozac

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pure speculation, but I have heard a snippet or two. They were interested in January and were considering a bid for whatever reason it failed to materialise. Now, given that their talisman Eagles is likely to be moving on I reckon there's more than a chance of them coming back in with an offer. By strange coincidence we play them on Tuesday night and I wouldn't be too surprised if they had made a firm offer by the end of the week. Chris has a year left and we've not heard anything about an extension from either party.

There are rumours of a bid of upwards of a million, personally I think that's pie in the sky and I reckon we'd let him go for £350-400k. I'd be loathe to lose the Chris Taylor we saw last season, he was our main man for long periods of the season and played in a variety of positions. He'd be a great loss to what PD is trying to do here.

Would be very pissed off if he went for anything less than 500k considering his importance to our team, and considering Burnley are still receiving rather healthy parachute payments from the PL. But then again, do we risk losing him for nowt at the end of the season?

Would be very pissed off if he went for anything less than 500k considering his importance to our team, and considering Burnley are still receiving rather healthy parachute payments from the PL. But then again, do we risk losing him for nowt at the end of the season?

We should be offering him a new contract immediately (before now really), so that at least the one-year-to-run part of the valuation is taken away.

I think we need to hold the horses on this one. Taylor isn't about to :censored: on us, he'll sign again and if need be/offered move on for money (to us).

Burnley is perfect for him. He doesn't have to move, it's a step up and he'll make the first team. Half a million makes everyone happy methinks.

I think we need to hold the horses on this one. Taylor isn't about to :censored: on us, he'll sign again and if need be/offered move on for money (to us).

Burnley is perfect for him. He doesn't have to move, it's a step up and he'll make the first team. Half a million makes everyone happy methinks.

Agree, no way Chris would walk for free can't see his adviser trying to shaft us either (Eyres)

Dont subscribe to this let em go cheap crap. Burnley are getting £3mil for Mears and Eagles. If Taylor isnt worth £1 mil WHY NOT? against those two? Mears WHO???????

WHY do Burnley want him as a replacement IF hes not THAT GOOD... Wouldnt sell for less than £800,000 personally plus add ons and the thought he will walk for nothing is VERY UNLIKELY hes an Oldham lad and can get a good deal for himself contract signed or not aka Stephens.

Lets face it if no contract signed by Christmas hes ofski one way or another in January.

At the end of the day, the figure a player is worth, and the figure they are sold for, are two different figures. And any club with a few brain cells can more often than not negotiate so that the latter figure is considerably higher than the former.

At the end of the day, the figure a player is worth, and the figure they are sold for, are two different figures. And any club with a few brain cells can more often than not negotiate so that the latter figure is considerably higher than the former.

Whilst the same player may carry a different valuation at another club, what a player is sold for is precisely what he is worth to the seller. Unless the seller chooses to sell to a lower bidder, of course :unsure:

Well what do you think we could get?

It's division 3 level after all.

Not comparing Taylor to a level of any of these players but..

50 Million for Torres?!

35 Million for Carroll?!

8 Million for Wickham?!

Football has gone mad - although i think that Taylor should be worth 750k+ if you put it into perspective with those transfers..

Not comparing Taylor to a level of any of these players but..

50 Million for Torres?!

35 Million for Carroll?!

8 Million for Wickham?!

Football has gone mad - although i think that Taylor should be worth 750k+ if you put it into perspective with those transfers..

You can't put Taylor's valuation in perspective using those players.

By judging purely on his ability, £500k is a good deal for both parties. But I find it difficult to put a price on how valuable a player like Taylor is to the club. While I wouldn't call him a legend yet he's certainly a positive part of our current identity. Home-grown flair players who obviously love the club don't come along often and no matter how much we get to spend on a replacement it will be very difficult for them to have a similar impact that Taylor has had.

I've been impressed over the last couple of years with the number of youth players who have graduated/are graduating into the 1st team (credit to Tony P) but are any of them going to be the next Taylor or better? I doubt it.

By judging purely on his ability, £500k is a good deal for both parties. But I find it difficult to put a price on how valuable a player like Taylor is to the club. While I wouldn't call him a legend yet he's certainly a positive part of our current identity. Home-grown flair players who obviously love the club don't come along often and no matter how much we get to spend on a replacement it will be very difficult for them to have a similar impact that Taylor has had.

I think you're right but I also reckon if another club paid the best part of a million for him he'd wind up being seen a flop. I've said before we should sell and bring him back on a free in 2 years - a gentlemanly 'loan' agreement made with Chris. :naughty:

Not being awkward but WHY? is £500k a good deal for Latics (His ability is your opinion) its a bargain for a championship club who think he is capable of making the step up presumably the buying clubs opinion.. £750+ is a much better deal.

I think I'm comparing it to Stephens going for under £400k. I thought that was a very poor amount of money for a player of his quality and with the years still to run on his contract. Taylor has one year left which does not give the club a good bargaining position. I wish I could compare it to Pilkington or Bennett going to the Prem for £1m+ but the truth is that we don't have the financial leverage that those clubs have to demand more money.

The way I'm looking at it currently is that for every 1st team player that we lose we need to be able to find a replacement who can make a similar impact (difficult with our budget but achievable). With all the undisclosed fees flying about I find it the only real way to judge how well the club has done from any deal.

I think I'm comparing it to Stephens going for under £400k. I thought that was a very poor amount of money for a player of his quality and with the years still to run on his contract. Taylor has one year left which does not give the club a good bargaining position. I wish I could compare it to Pilkington or Bennett going to the Prem for £1m+ but the truth is that we don't have the financial leverage that those clubs have to demand more money.

The way I'm looking at it currently is that for every 1st team player that we lose we need to be able to find a replacement who can make a similar impact (difficult with our budget but achievable). With all the undisclosed fees flying about I find it the only real way to judge how well the club has done from any deal.

Why would this increase his value to a potential buyer?

It does, as i doubt Taylor will shaft the club. Time to offer him,Furman and Lee new long term contracts