Oldham train links

Anyone have any idea how much the development of the train lines between Manchester and Oldham have hurt us (if at all) over the past few years. I can’t imagine it having too much affect on the home attendance but it could be huge in terms of the away support.

A lot of away support travel on trains. If you didn’t know the area and just put Oldham into trainline.com or similar site and nothing came up you might decide against the trip.

Anyone have any idea how much the development of the train lines between Manchester and Oldham have hurt us (if at all) over the past few years. I can’t imagine it having too much affect on the home attendance but it could be huge in terms of the away support.

A lot of away support travel on trains. If you didn’t know the area and just put Oldham into trainline.com or similar site and nothing came up you might decide against the trip.

It didn't seem to affect us last season :)

I have never lived in Oldham so every trip is a bit like an away trip. The stations are so far away from BP in Oldham I dont think it would make much difference it not being there.

Where do you travel from?

I travel over from Leeds in far east Lancashire for the games. Luckily I know a few tricks to get to the ground via public transport which someone from outside of the town might not know.

Where do you travel from?

I travel over from Leeds in far east Lancashire for the games. Luckily I know a few tricks to get to the ground via public transport which someone from outside of the town might not know.

Now I just travel from central Manchester but used to come from Sheffield and jump on the 181/182 as it takes you close to the ground.

I think it affects away support more than people may notice (certainly people living in Oldham) for example I remember a Millwall fan on another forum said that they take about 200 or so extra fans to Stockport and Doncaster compared to our place due to better transport links. With the latest traffic situation in Oldham it'll mean having to set off earlier to games if I intent to have a drink in Manchester before the match

Edited by Tommy_Fent

I wouldn't say it's much better or worse than most grounds. Anywhere in London you have to travel on after your main train arrives, most grounds round the country are a fair walk at least from the nearest train.

This. In terms of transport we are not much different to London really, train to Manchester and then just get on any of about 4 buses to the ground, probably easier than London in some cases.

I'm not completely clued in on the Metrolink system, will there be a station closer to BP? Or are they just using the old train stations?

This. In terms of transport we are not much different to London really, train to Manchester and then just get on any of about 4 buses to the ground, probably easier than London in some cases.

I'm not completely clued in on the Metrolink system, will there be a station closer to BP? Or are they just using the old train stations?

I thought they were having a station in Westwood, although it would still be 10 mins walk at the very least

I do think having good transport links would be a bonus especially considering they've whacked the car parking prices up

Go on?

Switching trains at Huddersfield and going to Greenfield then getting a bus from there I find is cheaper and a lot easier than going into Manchester to come back out. I doubt many people would know about that or be confident to do it if they did not know the area.

There is also a stopping train to Mills Hill but that takes forever.

Sorry if you were expecting slightly more magical 'tricks'.

I could probably get a bus from Huddersfield thinking about it too.

Switching trains at Huddersfield and going to Greenfield then getting a bus from there I find is cheaper and a lot easier than going into Manchester to come back out. I doubt many people would know about that or be confident to do it if they did not know the area.

Bit of an anti-climax.

184 does to from Huddersfield I think, probably save a few more quid

I was hoping that you did some sort of Jedi mind trick on train conductors or something

It will have had some effect most away fans just want to find a decent boozer near the ground where they have a quick pint, maybe some food watch the footie on Tv see fellow fans. Maybe one option if there is a large away following about a shute bus from Piccadilly or something.

It will have had some effect most away fans just want to find a decent boozer near the ground where they have a quick pint, maybe some food watch the footie on Tv see fellow fans. Maybe one option if there is a large away following about a shute bus from Piccadilly or something.

nice idea but I doubt the club would be prepared to pay for busses to ferry opposition fans nor would the opposition pay for it when the fans could get on an offical coach and pay a higher price

It's a shame when I get the 181/182/24 to the ground on matchdays from Manchester that I hardly see any Latics fans getting on it anymore

if we had as much wonga as Huddersfield had then I'd suggest the club run shuttle busses to the ground

Edited by Tommy_Fent

I thought they were having a station in Westwood, although it would still be 10 mins walk at the very least

I do think having good transport links would be a bonus especially considering they've whacked the car parking prices up

Yes. There is one planned for Westwood, but it is on the Town Centre line which is being added at a later date - Spring 2014 is what they have said but we all know nothing gets done on time in this country. Once the metrolink comes to Oldham Town centre I expect away fans will get off at one of the main stations in the town centre and from there get buses or taxis to the ground (if we are still at BP by then).

There should be trams arriving at Freehold and Oldham Mumps (via a temporary line) by March 2012.

I think it affects away support more than people may notice (certainly people living in Oldham) for example I remember a Millwall fan on another forum said that they take about 200 or so extra fans to Stockport and Doncaster compared to our place due to better transport links. With the latest traffic situation in Oldham it'll mean having to set off earlier to games if I intent to have a drink in Manchester before the match

Even without the train option, I don't think there are many easier places to get to in the football league than BP, so I think the Millwall fan is making excuses.

Even without the train option, I don't think there are many easier places to get to in the football league than BP, so I think the Millwall fan is making excuses.

if you live in Oldham, Rochdale or Ashton it's easy, but I can assure you from someone who lives outside the aforementioned towns that getting to BP by public transport is a nightmare compared to a lot of other ground in the UK, it's partly the reason why I didn't go to a home game between February and May last season I just couldn't be doing with the hassle

if you live in Oldham, Rochdale or Ashton it's easy, but I can assure you from someone who lives outside the aforementioned towns that getting to BP by public transport is a nightmare compared to a lot of other ground in the UK, it's partly the reason why I didn't go to a home game between February and May last season I just couldn't be doing with the hassle

I hate one-word replies, but you're getting one - rubbish.

It is a bit of a ballache getting from Manchester to Latics - back in the bad old days of Oldham Werneth station I was often the only Latics fan on a train full of away fans. I remember that I wore the frigging luminous green away shirt when we played 'Uddersfeeled and it was like I'd painted a target on my face. Luckily the mongs don't seem to have cottoned on to the #24 bus. Inside tip for a quiet journey..

On a different note; whichever moron decided to replace the trains through Oldham with the over-priced, four-thousand-years-behind-schedule trams is a weapons grade, ocean going, steam powered, 24 carat blurt.

It is a bit of a ballache getting from Manchester to Latics - back in the bad old days of Oldham Werneth station I was often the only Latics fan on a train full of away fans. I remember that I wore the frigging luminous green away shirt when we played 'Uddersfeeled and it was like I'd painted a target on my face. Luckily the mongs don't seem to have cottoned on to the #24 bus. Inside tip for a quiet journey..

On a different note; whichever moron decided to replace the trains through Oldham with the over-priced, four-thousand-years-behind-schedule trams is a weapons grade, ocean going, steam powered, 24 carat blurt.

I've been told it's because it will make money for Oldham Council