SHOCK U TURN!

I agree with that and I really am torn, my heart says BP but my head says Failsworth.

As for teams that have done up their ground and thrived? Blackburn Rovers, Notts County have won the division below twice but forever toiled…Preston and Burnley have had similar success, Plymouth too despite their financial problems after that i'm struggling….

Blackpool

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

what about the houses which are now behind The Chaddy?

The original Oldham Arena plans had houses behind the Chaddy...

How you fund the Oldham Arena development is a massive question mark... but as far as I know those plans remain valid and would give us everything we needed...

So for me staying at BP raises the question of how you fund the development without selling the land. The issue of size / space doesn't seem valid...

Edited by oafc0000

For me, we have to move to Failsworth. We've seen the plans for BP and it is a piecemeal long drawn out compromise that satisfies no one other than those who are dead set against a move. We need that magical 365 day a year income to offset the losses the club incurs due to not getting enough bums on seats as it is, I don't believe that BP can give us this as the site isn't big enough. Plus the proximity of the hospital, houses & clayton severely limit what we could do as do the lack of access points.

Off the top of my head I can't think of a club that has redeveloped their traditional ground andLe has then gone on to achieve lasting success apart from United but they are a special case and in no way are we comparable. For many the 12,000 seater stadium showed a lack of "ambition", for me staying at BP is waving the white flag and saying we've given up. This would condemn us to being a club trapped into matchday income with a little bit of extra from the odd bit of conferencing or weddings which is nowhere near enough income.

We've all got an attachment to the site at the bottom of sheepfoot lane but this is a millstone round our neck, flog it, get what we can for it and onwards into a new future, this isn't the 1950s where we need to make do and mend, we have the opportunity to move into the latter end of the 20th century like so many other clubs did, Stoke, Bolton, Boro, Sunderland..etc..etc.. I'm sure we'd happily swap our last 15 years for any of those clubs, we'd swap the next 15 years too as their future looks so much brighter than ours does. As do Southampton, Cardiff, Swansea, Brighton, Leicester....

Football is all about money, getting it and spending it, if the club is taking in more than it is spending then they are doing ok, somehow most clubs struggle to get this bit right, I do not see how staying at BP helps us get more money in, people are not going to come back just because "it has an oldham postcode" or has a few new stands. If we don't raise the attendance we are doomed to failure without additional off field income, BP does not give us this off field income.

Best post on here i have seen in a long time! Agree with everything you say.

Well that is a shock but it could work out very well for the club.. We now own two pieces of land which are suitable for building a football stadium on, but are also suitable for building retail/leisure facilities (given Failsworth is better for that) In my honest opinion I'd love the club to do a U-Turn and move to Failsworth, it would surly be the easier option in terms of building a new stadium just sell BP, groundshare for a season or two and then move into our sparkling new home - perfect!

Well that is a shock but it could work out very well for the club.. We now own two pieces of land which are suitable for building a football stadium on, but are also suitable for building retail/leisure facilities (given Failsworth is better for that) In my honest opinion I'd love the club to do a U-Turn and move to Failsworth, it would surly be the easier option in terms of building a new stadium just sell BP, groundshare for a season or two and then move into our sparkling new home - perfect!

wont happen

we will redevelop boundry park,as the majority on here wanted when failsworth was announced...the failsworth site will be developed by the council as part of there regeneration projects and the rugby will end up on the charitable land part.

the new north stand will incorporate conferencing and hotel facilities not to disimilar to the last idea,and we will start to make money....

the amount of people saying it should still be failsworth,when failsworth was announced they never wanted it in the first place.

I'd prefer not to have known this if i were corney, but I think if we were to change plans again, and go back against the council, then my question is, where does the £20million for that come from. Staying at BP, we've got the council ONSIDE, which we should take while we can, and we've got some money and guarantees in place to start work on a new stand.

Forget about failsworth, only Oldham would do it this way, but now we've got a 20 year guarantee at BP (and I'm guessing no deals have been signed but verbally agreed) and I think trying to renegotiate would lose the help of the council and the town wouldn't benefit

I agree with that and I really am torn, my heart says BP but my head says Failsworth.

As for teams that have done up their ground and thrived? Blackburn Rovers, Notts County have won the division below twice but forever toiled…Preston and Burnley have had similar success, Plymouth too despite their financial problems after that i'm struggling….

Depends what you mean by thrived. Constant success isn't dependent on a ground but clubs that seem to be viable or better (in addition to those you mention) -

"manchester" Utd

Wolves

Norwich

Forest

Ipswich

Newcastle

Are they in a worse state than say, Coventry, Hull, or Doncaster?

Edited by apple

For me, we have to move to Failsworth. We've seen the plans for BP and it is a piecemeal long drawn out compromise that satisfies no one other than those who are dead set against a move. We need that magical 365 day a year income to offset the losses the club incurs due to not getting enough bums on seats as it is, I don't believe that BP can give us this as the site isn't big enough. Plus the proximity of the hospital, houses & clayton severely limit what we could do as do the lack of access points.

Off the top of my head I can't think of a club that has redeveloped their traditional ground andLe has then gone on to achieve lasting success apart from United but they are a special case and in no way are we comparable. For many the 12,000 seater stadium showed a lack of "ambition", for me staying at BP is waving the white flag and saying we've given up. This would condemn us to being a club trapped into matchday income with a little bit of extra from the odd bit of conferencing or weddings which is nowhere near enough income.

We've all got an attachment to the site at the bottom of sheepfoot lane but this is a millstone round our neck, flog it, get what we can for it and onwards into a new future, this isn't the 1950s where we need to make do and mend, we have the opportunity to move into the latter end of the 20th century like so many other clubs did, Stoke, Bolton, Boro, Sunderland..etc..etc.. I'm sure we'd happily swap our last 15 years for any of those clubs, we'd swap the next 15 years too as their future looks so much brighter than ours does. As do Southampton, Cardiff, Swansea, Brighton, Leicester....

Football is all about money, getting it and spending it, if the club is taking in more than it is spending then they are doing ok, somehow most clubs struggle to get this bit right, I do not see how staying at BP helps us get more money in, people are not going to come back just because "it has an oldham postcode" or has a few new stands. If we don't raise the attendance we are doomed to failure without additional off field income, BP does not give us this off field income.

Agree 100%

Considering the number of people "fully" agreeing with beag_teeets... Can someone let me know why the original Oldham Arena plans will no longer fit on the BP site ?

I must of missed something...

the original plans focused on the key worker housing and the other flats....everything else still fits,just not the housing,although some housing is currently being built on what was the old carpark....

the original plans focused on the key worker housing and the other flats....everything else still fits,just not the housing,although some housing is currently being built on what was the old carpark....

So its an issue of funding for the development and not space for the things we need from a stadium... I just feel it is important to be clear about what the REAL issues are...

Seems to me there is still quite of bit of space available for some further housing development to help with funding the stadium...

Edited by oafc0000

So its an issue of funding for the development and not space for the things we need from a stadium... I just feel it is important to be clear about what the REAL issues are...

Seems to me there is still quite of bit of space available for some further housing development to help with funding the stadium...

the backside has well and truly fallen out of the housing market,so i doubt building houses or flats to fund the project will work

plus the nimbys wont want big flats everywhere,but were only complaining as they would be overlooked by 6 storey building,maybe cut it down to 3 storeys and be fine....

the failsworth project was dependant on us selling the land bp sits on plus outside investment,with what bp land is now worth i think we would struggle personally.

this money from the council will help kickstart the new stand,but still needs outside investment,which again may or maynot come

I also want to add that I see the Boundary Park site as a better site from a commercial prospective... Right off the motorway... Where as getting to the Failsworth site would be a bit of nightmare...

I don't get why people think Failsworth is a better location for a commercial development ? Fighting up and down Oldham Road / Broadway is a nightmare! and the justification of a tram stop near by (is there ? ) is weak considering most people come for conference facilities will be doing so by car...

the backside has well and truly fallen out of the housing market,so i doubt building houses or flats to fund the project will work

plus the nimbys wont want big flats everywhere,but were only complaining as they would be overlooked by 6 storey building,maybe cut it down to 3 storeys and be fine....

Fact is the council passed the plans... While we may need to submit a new application due to some small changes to the number of flats / houses being built will no doubt be less and there for should pass planning with no issues.

As for how much we could make... I agree... The money wont be enough to REALLY help the build and might be better we look at other funding options and not bother with building houses. End of the day the development will need a decent car park.

Edited by oafc0000

You know whats coming next.

Massive pro and against Failsworth infighting.

Marvellous

Precisely. The club appear to be in a position to choose the best of two options after so long of going down blind alleys, and this will end up seen as a problem rather than a benefit. I'm happy that we are looking likely to beat The Grand Old Duke of York in the annual Hill Climbing and Declimbing competition.

Its days like today when you realise just how fun it is to be a Latics fan, most clubs would deciede something and do it. We get blocked, fight it and win, then the world goes bust, we go to Failsworth, get the green light, then get blocked, we then kick off, get our orginal plan back with council support and then find out Failsworth could have gone ahead.

I would like us to pick the cheapest abd quickest option, BP could still work but Failsworth could well be the best option. If we don't go Failsworth I would like to see the rugby team go there, even though not a rugby fan it would only help the town if it had two clubs in good stadiums and a stable future. This could end up being the best news for the Oldham sport ever, if we go to Failsworth then it would be good to see rugby lot somehow find money for the BP site.

It could only happen to Latics. Get the Oldham Arena built as it was the original plan, and I sincerely hope that all the legal fees in respect of this jamboree are paid by the Charity Commission / Council and the club recompensed for the shambles in their attempts to get a new stadium built.

If we stay at B.P. I suggest the new houses behind the Chaddy end are flattened and another little wembeley training pitch, replace them, as there will then be room for the Chaddy end to be extended if required in the future. Makes my blood boil with the total apethetic way the council have dealt with this saga.